From: Simon Wright <simon.j.wright@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Ada OS
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:15:57 +0000
Date: 2008-01-09T21:15:57+00:00	[thread overview]

anon@anon.org (anon) writes:

> Really, you say: No release!
>
> http://c2ada.wiki.sourceforge.net/
>
> This web page ("wiki") should contain the history and status
> of the project. Location of the main documentation and links
> to the files.
>
> No files in the Download section but there are in the SVN area!
>
> http://c2ada.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/c2ada/

If there is nothing in the download section then there is no release.

> "jcreem" may be the one that inserted the files but as primary
> manager, "Simon Wright" is responsible for the project.

Why am I in quotes? Do you think that's not my name?

Where do you get the notion that I'm primary manager? (if nominated I
will not run, ...).

> A unmodified version of the file c2ada_linux_august_2007.zip
> should be in the download area as an archived version.

Not a completely unreasonable point, I have to admit rather against my
will.

Actually, I'd like the one before as well .. if possible the whole
history!

> You did not see my other post on Ada OS where I stated that
> to proved the usage and to documentation the operation of
> the "c2ada" the program should be used on itself. No rewrite!
> Just using the program on itself to prove that it works and
> then posting this new version.

I don't normally read your posts, cos you're in my kill file.

> That is:
>
>                 1. Placed the original zip file into the download
>                    area stating that this was the original code and
>                    is stored for archiving purposes only.
>
>                 2. Documenting the following steps ( 3 .. 5 ).
>
>                 3. Compile the program.
>
>                 4. Using the c2Ada to convert the original "c2ada"
>                    C code to a standard Ada 95 code.

c2ada is nowhere near capable of this.

Personally I wouldn't want to *convert* a whole C program to Ada,
though I've no objection at all to using an interface converter (such
as I took c2ada to be) to front-end an existing implementation.

>                 5. Editing the 20% of the code that the program
>                    bypasses.
>
>                 6. Placing this new "ADA ONLY" version into the
>                    SVN tree as well as an archived version in the
>                    downloading area.
>
>                 7. Insert the documented transition (from step 2)
>                    into the web site.
>
>         Time Table: A couple of weekends. Basically while watching
>                     TV on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. One weekend
>                     for converting the program and a second for
>                     correcting the documentation and uploading.

Hello, Planet Earth calling anon, it took that long to get the thing
to compile on Mac OS X (mainly, convert regexp.h usage to regex.h).

>         Then later:
>                 8. Update the program for Ada 2005.
>
> Of course, you could leave step 8 for others but the documentation
> on the main web page should say this. And for editing the program
> could be done during commercials.

Personally I prefer to get up and make tea/stretch legs.

> As for SourceForce.Net, it is for open source projects, not for a set
> of broken projects that hurt the OSI because they do not work. It is
> one thing, if the project becomes outdated, but projects like "c2ada"
> do not become outdated. Well maybe if "C" becomes outdated, but that
> is not going to happen any time soon.

I don't think c2ada would be very interesting if there was no more
Ada.

I don't think that c2ada is broken exactly, it just doesn't work
yet. Why it doesn't work when (presumably) it used to -- probably
before someone tried to make it translate function bodies as well as
specs -- is a different matter.