From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Differences between gnat 4.4.5 and 4.5.1
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:16:05 +0000
Date: 2011-03-21T10:16:05+00:00	[thread overview]

> I installed Fedora 14 recently and tested it a bit. Unfortunately it is
> unusable to me. I didn't really tested it for the compiler bugs (there were
> plenty before), because the first stumble block I could not overcome was an
> outdated gnatmake It does not support relocatable library projects to
> depend on static ones. Binutils have some libraries only static, and I
> needed them. The older gnatmake just ignored the issue. The newer one does
> not, but the switch to shut it up (--unchecked-shared-lib-imports) is not
> there. gprbuild is not there either. So I put it in ice until another
> version.

On Mac OS X I fell over this (trying to build a relocatable GNATcoll/GMP
against a static GMP). It wasn't GCC that complained, though, it was ld
- trying to create a pic binary from a non-pic library. I forget the
exact error message. But, on this platform,
--unchecked-shared-lib-imports would probably be no use anyway.

> It seems that GNAT GPL 2010 is still the only choice for Fedora 14.

One thing you can do with it is build a stable FSF GCC.