* COLOR Ada Mode for EMACS (Win95)
@ 1996-06-28  0:00 Stephen D. House
From: Stephen D. House @ 1996-06-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: comp.emacs

I know that I shouldn't believe the demo, but I saw a demo of EMACS for
Win95 in the Ada mode with various parts of the source color coded.
I've got the latest emacs (19.31.1 i386 nt4.0) and ada mode (Heritsch &
Ebert version), but haven't found any hooks to get it to switch in
"color" mode, or set the colors of any text.

What did I see?  Can I get it?  Do I already have it and am just to
stupid to get it to work?

From: Stephen D. House @ 1996-06-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know that I shouldn't believe the demo, but I saw a demo of EMACS for
Win95 in the Ada mode with various parts of the source color coded.
I've got the latest emacs (19.31.1 i386 nt4.0) and ada mode (Heritsch &
Ebert version), but haven't found any hooks to get it to switch in
"color" mode, or set the colors of any text.

What did I see?  Can I get it?  Do I already have it and am just to
stupid to get it to work?

* Re: COLOR Ada Mode for EMACS (Win95)
@ 1996-06-28  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1996-06-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You are looking for the `font-lock' package. See font-lock.el in your
emacs lisp directory. You might also want the `lazy-lock' package,
which is not part of the standard emacs distribution. font-lock always
fontifies the whole file before displaying the buffer; this can take a
long time. lazy-lock changes this to only fontify the part of the buffer
being displayed; much faster. lazy-lock is in the emacs library at:

ftp://archive.cis.ohio-state.edu/pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive

e-mail me if you need more details.

--
- Stephe
Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov

* Re: COLOR Ada Mode for EMACS (Win95)
@ 1996-06-28  0:00 ` Theodore E. Dennison
From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-06-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen D. House wrote:

> I know that I shouldn't believe the demo, but I saw a demo of EMACS for
> Win95 in the Ada mode with various parts of the source color coded.
> I've got the latest emacs (19.31.1 i386 nt4.0) and ada mode (Heritsch &
> Ebert version), but haven't found any hooks to get it to switch in
> "color" mode, or set the colors of any text.
>
> What did I see?  Can I get it?  Do I already have it and am just to
> stupid to get it to work?

Odds are that you already have it. Try the following -

Type esc-x (that's the 'Esc' key on your keyboard, then the 'x' key).
You should get a command line at the bottom of emacs. Now type -
   font-lock-mode
(and hit return).

This works in the "other" (older) version of emacs for NT that I have.
--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

* Re: COLOR Ada Mode for EMACS (Win95)
@ 1996-07-01  0:00 ` Rolf Ebert
From: Rolf Ebert @ 1996-07-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

SDH> I know that I shouldn't believe the demo, but I saw a demo of EMACS
SDH> for Win95 in the Ada mode with various parts of the source color
SDH> coded.  I've got the latest emacs (19.31.1 i386 nt4.0) and ada mode
SDH> (Heritsch & Ebert version), but haven't found any hooks to get it
SDH> to switch in "color" mode, or set the colors of any text.

I don't know about Win95, but in general you start syntax highlighting
in Emacs 19.31 by calling a function in your `.emacs' (no idea what it
is called on win95; perhaps `_emacs' ?)

(global-font-lock-mode t)

SDH> What did I see?  Can I get it?  Do I already have it and am just to
SDH> stupid to get it to work?

BTW, don't use the ada-mode.el from the 2.12 release in newer Emacsen as
Emacs (>= 19.29) and XEmacs (>= 19.13) already provide a better Ada
mode.

By the time you can see this message, there probably is release 2.23
available on cs.nyu.ed:/pub/gnat.  Thanks for your question. This gives
me the opportunity to make my announcement.

        Rolf