From: kingdon@harvey.cyclic.com (Jim Kingdon)
Subject: Re: GNAT on Win 95
Date: 1996/06/14
Date: 1996-06-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

> we groveling (yet demanding) users might get both of them on our desks
> a day or two faster.

Well, have you showed up on Cygnus's or Labtek's door carrying a big
pot of money (or even a small pot of money) and a description of what
you want?

This is going to sound like carping to some, but free software
development is driven by two things--people who volunteer their own
effort to make it happen, and people who pay other people to do so.
As an example, users have been asking for a CVS Win95 port ever since
the NT port came out (August 1995), but all that asking hasn't done
any good.  What has done some good is that someone actually did
something of a port and made it available by web/ftp.  Another thing
which would do some good, but which hasn't happened yet, is if someone
would make/fund an effort to get a Win95 port merged into the main CVS
distribution.

> Ditto for Cygnus and LabTek -- here we've got two groups of people
> (saintly people)

Cygnus might be willing to spend small amounts of effort to secure
sainthood.  But if you want large amounts of effort from them, they
will be looking for more than sainthood (I'll give you a hint--what
they seek is, in the US, a pale shade of green).