From: Rolf Ebert <re@waporo.muc.de>
To: report@gnat.com
Subject: Re: GNAT 3.07 public release
Date: 1996/11/23
Date: 1996-11-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

bobduff@world.std.com (Robert A Duff) writes:

> In article <m23ey3m815.fsf@devo.ridgecrest.ca.us>,
> Ronald Cole  <ronald@ridgecrest.ca.us> wrote:
> >I'm rather disappointed that the README.Linux claims that it's
> >supposed to lay right on top of Slackware.  Unfortunately, there is no
> >Slackware I know of that comes with gcc-2.7.2.1 or is configured for
> >"i586-unknown-linux".  Perhaps the author of this particular build of
> >gnat-3.07 would like to contact me as I have a vanilla "Slackware-96"
> >(libc revved back to stable 5.2.18, instead of the distributed beta
> >5.3.12, and kernel at 2.0.25) and would be interested in seeing
> >gnat-3.07 re-packaged to integrate seemlessly with this latest
> >Slackware release.
>
> What about the latest Yggdrasil release?  Is it similar enough to
> Slackware that gnat won't care about the differences?
>
> (I'm a bit worried that "X Linux" /= "Y Linux" for various CD-rom
> distributors X and Y.)
>
> - Bob

The usual place for gcc on any (intel) Linux is

        /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2

variable in the version number of gcc (the last part of the path).  The
leading part of the path is fixed by the Linux GCC maintainer H. Lu.
*All* Linux distributions adhere to that standard.

Whoever built linux binary version did not follow his own advice
explained in the README.Linux.

If you don't provide a target archtecture to "configure" it will guess
where it is and guesses i586-unknown-linux.  When running "configure"
you explicitely have to say "i486-linux".

        Rolf