* Reporting GNAT bugs
@ 2014-10-28 20:41 Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2014-10-28 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I found a serious GNAT bug, is it enough to report it at
https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ ?

Or should I also ping someone so that the bug would not be lost and fixed
quickly?

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org

* Re: Reporting GNAT bugs
@ 2014-10-28 20:59 ` Martyn Pike
From: Martyn Pike @ 2014-10-28 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28/10/2014 20:41, Victor Porton wrote:
> If I found a serious GNAT bug, is it enough to report it at
> https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ ?
>
> Or should I also ping someone so that the bug would not be lost and fixed
> quickly?

You could also ping this newsgroup - you never know who may be watching

:-)

* Re: Reporting GNAT bugs
@ 2014-10-28 21:45 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-10-28 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> writes:

> If I found a serious GNAT bug, is it enough to report it at
> https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ ?
>
> Or should I also ping someone so that the bug would not be lost and
> fixed quickly?

If the bug can be reproduced in GNAT GPL, send it to report@adacore.com
(possibly as well as at the GCC bugzilla; that way the rest of us get to
see it).

I've had quite good experiences at Bugzilla with bugs that affect the
build/ACATS, especially in the early stages of the release
process. Others not so much (I had a minor one about gnatmake not
showing the switches it passes to ranlib, which got improved to the
point of acceptance but then never got implemented).

The people who will fix the bug are (almost?) all at AdaCore. GNAT GPL
bugs sent to report@adacore.com may end up being fixed in their working
sources (there have been a couple of reports of this recently), and if
you are supported you will be able to get a wavefront release if you
need one. Otherwise, you get to wait for the next release of GNAT GPL
or the next major GCC release (now 4.10).

* Re: Reporting GNAT bugs
@ 2014-10-28 23:56   ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2014-10-28 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright wrote:

> Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> writes:
>
>> If I found a serious GNAT bug, is it enough to report it at
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ ?
>>
>> Or should I also ping someone so that the bug would not be lost and
>> fixed quickly?
>
> If the bug can be reproduced in GNAT GPL, send it to report@adacore.com
> (possibly as well as at the GCC bugzilla; that way the rest of us get to
> see it).

gnat package in Debian Linux is not GNAT GPL?

How much disk space installation of GNAT GPL will take? My disk space is
limited.

Should I report them without checking with something other than the standard
Debian package?

--

@ 2014-10-29  6:27     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-10-29  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> writes:

> Simon Wright wrote:
>
>> Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> writes:
>>
>>> If I found a serious GNAT bug, is it enough to report it at
>>> https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ ?
>>>
>>> Or should I also ping someone so that the bug would not be lost and
>>> fixed quickly?
>>
>> If the bug can be reproduced in GNAT GPL, send it to report@adacore.com
>> (possibly as well as at the GCC bugzilla; that way the rest of us get to
>> see it).
>
> gnat package in Debian Linux is not GNAT GPL?

No, it isn't.

> How much disk space installation of GNAT GPL will take? My disk space is
> limited.

About 150 MB.

> Should I report them without checking with something other than the
> standard Debian package?

I certainly wouldn't.

* Re: Reporting GNAT bugs
@ 2014-10-29 10:18   ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2014-10-29 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 21:45:49 +0000, Simon Wright wrote:

> Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> writes:
>
>> If I found a serious GNAT bug, is it enough to report it at
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ ?

> The people who will fix the bug are (almost?) all at AdaCore. GNAT GPL
> bugs sent to report@adacore.com may end up being fixed in their working
> sources (there have been a couple of reports of this recently), and if
> you are supported you will be able to get a wavefront release if you
> need one. Otherwise, you get to wait for the next release of GNAT GPL or
> the next major GCC release (now 4.10).

4.10 will apparently be called 5.0.

- Brian

* Re: Reporting GNAT bugs
@ 2014-10-29 22:29   ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2014-10-29 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright wrote:
> Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> writes:
>
>> If I found a serious GNAT bug, is it enough to report it at
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/ ?
>>
>> Or should I also ping someone so that the bug would not be lost and
>> fixed quickly?
>
> If the bug can be reproduced in GNAT GPL, send it to report@adacore.com
> (possibly as well as at the GCC bugzilla; that way the rest of us get to
> see it).

I've sent GCC bugzilla links to report@adacore.com.

All four bugs were confirmed in GNAT GPL 2014.

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org