* Send me a sample prgm in ADA for linked list using access type
@ 2006-05-12  9:34 Nirmalraj Shanmugasundaram
From: Nirmalraj Shanmugasundaram @ 2006-05-12  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

i was trying to do a linked list program in ADA,

so it will be more helpful if i get many views in linked list program
from u all...

Thank You

Regards

Nirmalraj S

* Re: Send me a sample prgm in ADA for linked list using access type
@ 2006-05-12  9:57 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-05-12  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nirmalraj Shanmugasundaram wrote:

> i was trying to do a linked list program in ADA,
>
> so it will be more helpful if i get many views in linked list program
> from u all...

Most of us here do not live in a getto and prefer to read the full
"you" instead of getto slang "u" - thank you very much.

And when I am at it: It should also read "Please send me" instead of a
commanding "send me". If you want to give me commands then you need to
pay €75,00 an hour.

As for you question, here a nice text about access types:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Types/access

Linked list are then done the same way as in any other programming
language. You can read that up here:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Computer_Science:Data_Structures:List_Structures

With Regards

Martin

* Re: Send me a sample prgm in ADA for linked list using access type
@ 2006-05-13 13:46   ` Simon DESCARPENTRIES
From: Simon DESCARPENTRIES @ 2006-05-13 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

And sorry for that « first » post here but, I just wanted to express how agree I
was with the cautions to have using the word « ghetto »... Even if it's obvious
that that news group is no more an Ada95 code self-service...

Looking forward to get opportunities to produce more constructive posts.

--
Simon DESCARPENTRIES
Polytech'Tours DI, promo 2007

* Re: Send me a sample prgm in ADA for linked list using access type
@ 2006-05-13 14:50     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2006-05-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <e44nvb$hik$1@leia.fdn.fr>, Simon DESCARPENTRIES <siltaar@laposte.net> writes:

> And sorry for that « first » post here but, I just wanted to express how agree I
> was with the cautions to have using the word « ghetto »... Even if it's obvious

In each of those lines I see strange constructs

	a byte of value 194 followed by a byte of value 171
	a byte of value 194 followed by a byte of value 187

 In my editor, the first displays as <A^><<<> and the second displays as
<A^><>>>.

In my mail reader, each displays as some unreadable string that has
an A in it.

> Looking forward to get opportunities to produce more constructive posts.

I would suggest sticking to ASCII (values 32-127) for maximum clarity.

* Re: Send me a sample prgm in ADA for linked list using access type
@ 2006-05-13 15:08       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2006-05-13 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 13 May 2006 09:50:22 -0500, Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> In article <e44nvb$hik$1@leia.fdn.fr>, Simon DESCARPENTRIES <siltaar@laposte.net> writes:
>
>> And sorry for that « first » post here but, I just wanted to express how agree I
>> was with the cautions to have using the word « ghetto »... Even if it's obvious
>
> In each of those lines I see strange constructs
>
> 	a byte of value 194 followed by a byte of value 171
> 	a byte of value 194 followed by a byte of value 187
>
>  In my editor, the first displays as <A^><<<> and the second displays as
> <A^><>>>.
>
> In my mail reader, each displays as some unreadable string that has
> an A in it.

It is Unicode UTF-8:

194 171 = LEFT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK (U+00AB)
194 187 = RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK (U+00BB)

>> Looking forward to get opportunities to produce more constructive posts.
>
> I would suggest sticking to ASCII (values 32-127) for maximum clarity.

Hey, Ada is Unicode! (:-))

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Send me a sample prgm in ADA for linked list using access type
@ 2006-05-13 22:49       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2006-05-13 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 09:50 -0500, Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> I would suggest sticking to ASCII (values 32-127) for maximum clarity.

I agree that 7 bit character sets guarantee low probability
of misrepresentation on today's machines. On the other hand,
I spend many hours finding serious, unnerving, and costly
character handling bugs in "standard" software packages.
Most of these bugs demonstrate that many programmers somehow
believe that 7bit is anywhere near sufficient. (Maybe for
themselves?) This is why I'd like to question your advice in
two ways.

Fostering 7 bit ASCII habits (32-127) in usenet will invite two
shortcomings of programs, or, pardon me, their programmers,
because you learn that you can get away with it in usenet:

(a) meeting the requirements of real world software,
    on the technical side
(b) software professionalism,
    on the human side

(a) Few computer users find a seven-segment LED display agreeable,
so to speak. These have no 1:1 relation to ASCII but you get the
picture. Usually, 7 bit Text is a serious hindrance, even when
English is the language. For example, shops, insurance companies,
etc. cannot spell Spanish, French, Canadian, Polish, Danish ...
names, titles, addresses etc. Sørensen is not the same person as
Sorensen. [**] (And these all use Latin scripts.) Searching will
not work properly. [*]

(b) lack of true character support is really strange. Many times
programmers have taken pride in algorithms that arrange bits in
a well defined and efficient manner. But when these bits represent
characters, not so. A fair amount of irrationality is added
to what is considered arguments.

"It's slow!"
"It wastes memory!"
"It's too much work!"
"Who needs it?"
"Learn how to read!"

Is any of this backed up with convincing data, measurements,
business requirements, etc.?
At the same time, users are annoyed when they cannot write currency
symbols like £, or €. (Zip codes are rejected if the style is British.
Phone numbers can not be entered using alphabetic characters.
Passwords cannot contain accented characters. Same symptoms?)

Programmers spend hours trying to find ways of rendering or combining
pieces of data encoded differently, or at least find the most likely
applicable encoding. Is this where we should be spending our time?

So, No! It is time to consider that VAX, Alpha, Motorola 68030, x86,
PowerPC, SPARC, etc. have 32 bit words in registers.
We can see that placing 8bit quantities in x86's AL (8 bits wide)
will *not* in general make our programs run faster.
One should think that people who write sophisticated sorting
algorithms, or operating systems' process schedulers for N CPUs
are capable of providing functions for plain text rendering.
All the more when the algorithms have already been published,
and when libraries are freely available, with or without support,
for free or not.
It is time to consider the capabilities of the computers of
today^H^H^H^H^H yesterday.
These can be programmed to handle much more than 127 - 32 + 1
character positions. There are standards and collections,
there is supported software.
ISO/IEC 10646:2003, Unicode >= 3.1, TRON, Mule, whichever.

Santé !

 [*] This is still real, see for example the Oxford Advanced
Learner's Compass, which is the electronic edition of OALD,
an otherwise very good program: When I want to find "master" and
start typing "mas" into the search box, the Find As You Type lookup
gets stuck because seemingly it runs into "maître", and stops
there. (That's ma^itre, if your news reader can't display
Western international plain text.)

 [**] A famous example is the mix-up of surnames Tuttle and Buttle
in the film "Brazil". A bug in a typewriter causes terror.
;-)

* Re: Send me a sample prgm in ADA for linked list using access type
@ 2006-05-14  3:47         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2006-05-14  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1147560551.9085.101.camel@localhost.localdomain>, Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.de> writes:
> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 09:50 -0500, Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>
>> I would suggest sticking to ASCII (values 32-127) for maximum clarity.

> So, No! It is time to consider that VAX, Alpha, Motorola 68030, x86,
> PowerPC, SPARC, etc. have 32 bit words in registers.
> We can see that placing 8bit quantities in x86's AL (8 bits wide)
> will *not* in general make our programs run faster.

You seem to be interested in making people change software to match
your goals regarding future software design.  I am interested in
using the software I have to communicate in English.

There are some people who have trouble doing punctuation and
capitalization correctly - that is a bigger challenge to the
issue of communication.

* Re: Send me a sample prgm in ADA for linked list using access type
@ 2006-05-14 10:09           ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-05-14 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> I am interested in
> using the software I have to communicate in English.

Very well, but then be aware that your software has limitations and
don't complain here when those limitations cause a post to be displayed
incorrectly. Some of us can't even spell our names in ASCII you know. If
your software can't display my name that's your problem, not mine. And
for your information, ASCII doesn't have the normal English quotation
marks either. Those are Unicode characters 201C and 201D.

--
Bj�rn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

* Re: Send me a sample prgm in ADA for linked list using access type
@ 2006-05-14 11:51             ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2006-05-14 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <jlD9g.57109$d5.211143@newsb.telia.net>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_Persson?= <spam-away@nowhere.nil> writes:
> Larry Kilgallen wrote:
>> I am interested in
>> using the software I have to communicate in English.
>
> Very well, but then be aware that your software has limitations and
> don't complain here when those limitations cause a post to be displayed
> incorrectly. Some of us can't even spell our names in ASCII you know. If

The point I complained about was not a name.

> your software can't display my name that's your problem, not mine. And

I gather you suggest I buy a new computer, or write new software,
to ascribe a specialized graphic representation that I could not
pronounce anyway.

> for your information, ASCII doesn't have the normal English quotation
> marks either. Those are Unicode characters 201C and 201D.

ASCII has a quote mark (") which people have used successfully for
100 years on typewriters.  A constant urge to change standards used
in communications that do not need them does not help anyone.

I might feel differently if this were the typography newsgroup.
But this is Ada, whose discussion can work quite well without graphics.

* Re: Send me a sample prgm in ADA for linked list using access type
@ 2006-05-14 14:43               ` Simon DESCARPENTRIES
From: Simon DESCARPENTRIES @ 2006-05-14 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sorry to cause theses troubles. But I'm happy to have unwillingly iniciate
this small debate, as it's not easy to find clear and reliable informations
about caracter set choices.

Yes it was utf-8 caracters. utf-8 is the next standard choice in GNU/Linux
Debian installer... And my Thunderbird took for him this setting.
I chose utf-8 to be fair and respectful with the entire world, and not to
communicate in english. I often communicate with russian people, and my
girlfriend is chinese... So I *need* extended caracter set to have a ``normal''
life. Welcome to 2006.

Then, the choice of a caracter set is becomed hard in europe since the
appearance of € [Euro] symbole concurently to utf-8. (at least, I discovered the
two in a same time.) And the point I reached ist, yes, a all 32bits caracter set
is probably the better answer for that challenge, as compute a mixed 8bit and
more caracter set seems to be more temporally complex.  But I must admit that
it's not what we seem to be going to immediatly.

I seen in an AdaCore paper that, GNAT is already totally utf-32 compliant, isn't
it the best choice !?

I feel that using greek alphabet freelier than with LaTeX primitives is a progress.

пока до скорого ^_^

--

@ 2006-05-14 19:58                 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2006-05-14 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 14 May 2006 16:43:28 +0200, Simon DESCARPENTRIES wrote:

> I seen in an AdaCore paper that, GNAT is already totally utf-32 compliant, isn't
> it the best choice !?

No, I think that UTF-8 is a far better choice. At least Larry was able to
read your message. In UCS-n he weren't.

> яПНяПНяПНяПН яПНяПН яПНяПНяПНяПНяПНяПНяПН ^_^

Bolsheviks planned to abandon Cyrillic alphabet. Sometimes I think they
were right... (:-))

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Send me a sample prgm in ADA for linked list using access type
@ 2006-05-15  0:36               ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-05-15  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> I gather you suggest I buy a new computer, or write new software,
> to ascribe a specialized graphic representation that I could not
> pronounce anyway.

You wanted to use the software you have to communicate in English, so I
suggest you do just that instead of disrupting the communication with
useless off-topic complaints about character encodings.

If you had wanted to be able to see the non-English letters and
typographical characters that will occasionally appear in an
international forum, then I would have suggested that you download a
modern newsreader. If your computer is so old that you can't find a
modern newsreader that will run on it, then a few dollars should get you
a used Pentium � but there's no need since you wanted to keep your
current software.

> I might feel differently if this were the typography newsgroup.

In a typography newsgroup the use of French quotation marks in English
text might actually have been a valid reason to complain. In an Ada
newsgroup it's extremely picky.

--

@ 2006-05-15  4:58                 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2006-05-15  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Björn Persson <spam-away@nowhere.nil> writes:

> If you had wanted to be able to see the non-English letters and
> typographical characters that will occasionally appear in an
> international forum, then I would have suggested that you download a
> modern newsreader. If your computer is so old that you can't find a
> modern newsreader that will run on it, then a few dollars should get
> you a used Pentium – but there's no need since you wanted to keep
> your current software.

Carbon Emacs (GNU Emacs 22, running on a Powerbook) was perfectly
happy with the international characters. Not exactly modern (but
certainly up-to-date!)