* GPS issues: right margin bar in editor window
@ 2012-09-10 10:52 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2012-09-10 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm getting daunted by the amount of work involved in rewriting the
Emacs Ada mode indentation engine, so I decided to use GPS for a while,
just to make sure Emacs is enough better to be worth it (totally
unbiased evaluation, of course :).

First complaint; there's a vertical bar in the editor window, apparently
at column 81. I'm guessing that's supposed to mark a right margin. But I
have the line length limit set to 120 in the project file, so why isn't
it at 120? And, I don't see any way to turn it off or move it in the
preferences.

Can anyone help with this?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: GPS issues: right margin bar in editor window
@ 2012-09-10 11:08 ` Egil Høvik
From: Egil Høvik @ 2012-09-10 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have it at 120, and it moves according to
Preferences -> Editor -> Right Margin

GPS 5.0.0

(sorry if this turns out to be a double post, I'm forced to use google groups and it borks things up sometimes)

--
~egilhh

* Re: GPS issues: right margin bar in editor window
@ 2012-09-10 11:56 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2012-09-10 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 06:52:15 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:

> I'm getting daunted by the amount of work involved in rewriting the
> Emacs Ada mode indentation engine, so I decided to use GPS for a while,

I love GPS, in particular, for an ability to turn the auto-indentation mess
off. (:-))

> First complaint; there's a vertical bar in the editor window, apparently
> at column 81. I'm guessing that's supposed to mark a right margin. But I
> have the line length limit set to 120 in the project file, so why isn't
> it at 120?

I set editor right margin to 72 and the source code window split vertically
side-by-side (Window -> Split side-by-side). Usually I open package
specifications and bodies in different windows.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: GPS issues: right margin bar in editor window
@ 2012-09-10 20:20   ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2012-09-10 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, September 10, 2012 4:08:04 AM UTC-7, Egil Høvik wrote:
> I have it at 120, and it moves according to Preferences -> Editor -> Right Margin GPS 5.0.0

The column specified in the Project Properties is used when Edit -> Pretty Printer is invoked.

Anh Vo

* Re: GPS issues: right margin bar in editor window
@ 2012-09-11  8:19   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2012-09-11  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Egil Høvik <egilhovik@hotmail.com> writes:

> I have it at 120, and it moves according to
> Preferences -> Editor -> Right Margin

Ah. I missed that on my first pass thru. Thanks.

Still seems like it should get that info from the project file.

--

@ 2012-09-11  8:21   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2012-09-11  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 06:52:15 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> I'm getting daunted by the amount of work involved in rewriting the
>> Emacs Ada mode indentation engine, so I decided to use GPS for a while,
>
> I love GPS, in particular, for an ability to turn the auto-indentation mess
> off. (:-))

You can turn it off in Emacs as well; just never use tab, or rebind it.

>> First complaint; there's a vertical bar in the editor window, apparently
>> at column 81. I'm guessing that's supposed to mark a right margin. But I
>> have the line length limit set to 120 in the project file, so why isn't
>> it at 120?
>
> I set editor right margin to 72

The question was; _how_ do you set the right margin? Answered in another post.

--

@ 2012-09-11  9:44     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2012-09-11  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 06:52:15 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting daunted by the amount of work involved in rewriting the
>>> Emacs Ada mode indentation engine, so I decided to use GPS for a
>>> while,
>>
>> I love GPS, in particular, for an ability to turn the
>> auto-indentation mess off. (:-))
>
> You can turn it off in Emacs as well; just never use tab, or rebind
> it.

But it springs into life when you press RET (a feature that I value
highly and that, on thinking about it, is the one I mostly use!)

* Re: GPS issues: right margin bar in editor window
@ 2012-09-12 11:05       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2012-09-12 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

>>> I love GPS, in particular, for an ability to turn the
>>> auto-indentation mess off. (:-))
>>
>> You can turn it off in Emacs as well; just never use tab, or rebind
>> it.
>
> But it springs into life when you press RET (a feature that I value
> highly and that, on thinking about it, is the one I mostly use!)

Good point.

Perhaps we should consider a global 'turn off indent' flag for Ada mode.
--

@ 2012-09-12 18:52         ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2012-09-12 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> writes:
>
>> Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

>>> You can turn it off in Emacs as well; just never use tab, or rebind
>>> it.
>>
>> But it springs into life when you press RET (a feature that I value
>> highly and that, on thinking about it, is the one I mostly use!)
>
> Good point.
>
> Perhaps we should consider a global 'turn off indent' flag for Ada
> mode.

Perhaps people who want this not-feature should just disable ada-mode!