* Maintenance of ada-mode.el
@ 2006-08-09 12:26 Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-08-09 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

There was a discussion last month about the stewardship and future
maintenance of ada-mode.el. IIRC, Stephen Leake volunteered to do that,
and there were various suggestions as to where to host the sources
under version control. The suggestions included SourceForge and (my
favourite) the upstream emacs project on Savannah.

Stephen, what is the status? Has anything happened beyond that
discussion? (Not that I want to pressure you or anything).

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Maintenance of ada-mode.el
@ 2006-08-09 16:01 ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-08-09 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.08.2006, 15:26 Uhr, schrieb Ludovic Brenta
<ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>:

> There was a discussion last month about the stewardship and future
> maintenance of ada-mode.el. IIRC, Stephen Leake volunteered to do that,
> and there were various suggestions as to where to host the sources
> under version control.
> The suggestions included SourceForge and (my
> favourite) the upstream emacs project on Savannah.
> Stephen, what is the status? Has anything happened beyond that
> discussion? (Not that I want to pressure you or anything).

Well the current version is uploaded but no changes are yet done:

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuada/trunk/tools/Emacs

As you know I do the Vim not Emacs (No *current* Emacs for OpenVMS) so I
can't do more.

Martin

PS: I will send the Vim enhancments upstream.
--
Martin Krischik
krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: Maintenance of ada-mode.el
@ 2006-08-10  5:50   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2006-08-10  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Well the current version is uploaded but no changes are yet done:
>
> http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuada/trunk/tools/Emacs

I think I have to agree with Ludovic that the right place to maintain
ada-mode is in the Emacs sources.

The last version available to paying AdaCore customers is 1.202 (I think)
The 'native' version in this emacs 22 is 1.188
The gnuada version of ada-mode.el is 1.160

* Re: Maintenance of ada-mode.el
@ 2006-08-10 10:06     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-08-10 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.08.2006, 08:50 Uhr, schrieb Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>:

> "Martin Krischik" <krischik@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>> Well the current version is uploaded but no changes are yet done:
>>
>> http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuada/trunk/tools/Emacs

> I think I have to agree with Ludovic that the right place to maintain
> ada-mode is in the Emacs sources.

True, but you have to be/become a maintainer to do that. Or, in the case
of Vim, send it to Bram, who may or may not accept it.

> The last version available to paying AdaCore customers is 1.202 (I think)
> The 'native' version in this emacs 22 is 1.188
> The gnuada version of ada-mode.el is 1.160

I can have a look to see if i find something newer.

Martin

--

@ 2006-08-10 11:39 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-08-10 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> There was a discussion last month about the stewardship and future
> maintenance of ada-mode.el. IIRC, Stephen Leake volunteered to do that,
> and there were various suggestions as to where to host the sources
> under version control. The suggestions included SourceForge and (my
> favourite) the upstream emacs project on Savannah.
>
> Stephen, what is the status? Has anything happened beyond that
> discussion? (Not that I want to pressure you or anything).

Nothing has happened yet. I've been very busy at work, and at home
with painting and cleaning up falling trees.

My plan is to check out the current FSF Emacs sources, change the
maintainer in ada-mode.el to me, and send that to someone with
check-in priviledges.

Then I'll see if adding an ada-mode mailing list to the savannah emacs
site is acceptable. Otherwise, I'll look for another listserve.

Then we can have a discussion of what to do next.

It has been suggested that we just use comp.lang.ada, but I suspect
there are emacs ada mode users that don't read this newsgroup. I also
suspect I'll be told to use the main emacs mailing lists, but they
have far too much other traffic for my taste.

Thanks for the nudge, though :). I'll try to make progress on this
soon.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Maintenance of ada-mode.el
@ 2006-08-10 12:29   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-08-10 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake a écrit :
> Nothing has happened yet. I've been very busy at work, and at home
> with painting and cleaning up falling trees.

I understand. I too am busy, I just bought a new home so you can
imagine what I'm up to.

> My plan is to check out the current FSF Emacs sources, change the
> maintainer in ada-mode.el to me, and send that to someone with
> check-in priviledges.

Sounds good. I suggest you also request write privilege for yourself;
this can take a lot of time to get through, so better start early.

> Then I'll see if adding an ada-mode mailing list to the savannah emacs
> site is acceptable. Otherwise, I'll look for another listserve.

I hope they agree to a list on the Savannah. Ideally a list dedicated
to ada-mode, but I think an acceptable second choice would be a list
for all programming language modes.

> Then we can have a discussion of what to do next.

I'll gladly participate. Please let me know if and when things move
again.

> It has been suggested that we just use comp.lang.ada, but I suspect
> there are emacs ada mode users that don't read this newsgroup. I also
> suspect I'll be told to use the main emacs mailing lists, but they
> have far too much other traffic for my taste.

Agreed on both accounts.

> Thanks for the nudge, though :). I'll try to make progress on this
> soon.

:)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Maintenance of ada-mode.el
@ 2006-08-11 11:06   ` lekktu
From: lekktu @ 2006-08-11 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> My plan is to check out the current FSF Emacs sources, change the
> maintainer in ada-mode.el to me, and send that to someone with
> check-in priviledges.

I agree with Ludovic that you should ask for write privileges as the
current ada-mode maintainer. This will require some paperwork, though,
and a bit of time.

For the time being, I can check in changes; at least, if they aren't
deemed too intrusive (Emacs 22 is in
not-quite-yet-freeze-but-sure-we'd-like-to mode ;) but I don't think
that should be a problem.

Note, however, that changes of more than ten lines by any single
contributor will need signed papers before being commited to the CVS
repository, even if checked-in by a maintainer.

             Juanma

* Re: Maintenance of ada-mode.el
@ 2006-08-12 11:59     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-08-12 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"lekktu@gmail.com" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

>> My plan is to check out the current FSF Emacs sources, change the
>> maintainer in ada-mode.el to me, and send that to someone with
>> check-in priviledges.
>
> I agree with Ludovic that you should ask for write privileges as the
> current ada-mode maintainer. This will require some paperwork, though,
> and a bit of time.
>
> For the time being, I can check in changes; at least, if they aren't
> deemed too intrusive (Emacs 22 is in
> not-quite-yet-freeze-but-sure-we'd-like-to mode ;) but I don't think
> that should be a problem.
>
> Note, however, that changes of more than ten lines by any single
> contributor will need signed papers before being commited to the CVS
> repository, even if checked-in by a maintainer.

I have a copyright assignment on file for Emacs lisp code.

I don't see any instructions in the "CONTRIBUTE" file for
obtaining/requesting write access; what's the next step?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Maintenance of ada-mode.el
@ 2006-08-12 20:31       ` lekktu
From: lekktu @ 2006-08-12 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> I don't see any instructions in the "CONTRIBUTE" file for
> obtaining/requesting write access; what's the next step?

Asking one of the project admins (Stefan Monnier, Eli Zaretski, RMS,
Miles Bader, Francesco Potortì and Kim F. Storm), I'd say.