From: Simon Clubley <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP>
Subject: Re: Ada on openvms for alpha
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 13:02:13 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2014-10-26T13:02:13+00:00	[thread overview]

On 2014-10-26, Brian Drummond <brian3@shapes.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 12:29:00 +0100, Simon Wright wrote:
>
>> Luke A. Guest <laguest@archeia.com> writes:

>>> Don't quote me on this but I'm fairly sure the VMS packages are not in
>>> the FSF tree.
>>
>> GCC 4.9.1 has 58 files with *vms* in the name in gcc/ada. For example,
>> mlib-tgt-specific-vms-alpha.adb, mlib-tgt-specific-vms-ia64.adb
>
> And the alpha backend still looks to be there in gcc/config/alpha .
> If nobody's built it in that configuration for years there's likely to be
> some bit-rot, but it may be recoverable with a bit (probably quite a lot)
> of work.

You start by building it as a cross compiler on Linux and use copies
of the VMS headers and libraries from your target system. Of the four
target languages I tried (Ada, C, C++, Fortran) these were the results
from building the cross compiler:

Ada	Internal compiler error while building the GNAT frontend
C	Test programs written in C and compiled on Linux using the
	cross compiler appear to run ok on VMS
C++	Build failure while building the cross compiler
Fortran	Test executables build and link and then fail early on
	during image activation on the target VMS system.

The C++ issue looks reasonably easy enough to fix, but I wasn't motivated
to spend any time there until the Fortran runtime failures and Ada
internal compiler error issues were fixed.

In the end however, there was more work involved than I was willing
to spend given that I have a large stack of other hobbyist projects
which are of more interest to me. :-)

Simon.