From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: License of that GNAT patch ?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 08:13:32 +0100
Date: 2011-10-06T08:13:32+01:00	[thread overview]

"Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Seems this patch must be applied in order to have GNAT to support
> Static_Predicate and Dynamic_Predicate. However, the patch contains no
> license information, and I would like to know how I should handle such
> a case and any future similar cases. The GNAT compiler I use is one
> with the GCC Runtime Exception, which I wish to preserve. Is a patch
> like this to be considered part of runtime or not ? It is part of the
> compiler from some point of view, but also supposed to drive
> generation of runtime code, so I feel dubious.

Section 5 of GPLv3[1] seems pretty clear to me! (but IANAL).

The GCC Runtime Library Exception applies to the runtime library, not to
compiler frontend internals, so I expect that the files concerned (which
you could check) don't have the exception anyway and are subject to the
full GPL.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html