From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: A few questions on Ada and Ada implementations
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 16:24:23 +0000
Date: 2010-12-20T16:24:23+00:00	[thread overview]

Kulin Remailer <remailer@reece.net.au> writes:

> Our clients also like being able to point one finger and if I sell
> them something I have to be responsible for all of it and capabable of
> fixing all of it. I can't blame anybody else or get 3 vendors involved
> and anything free or open source would be a total show stopper. It
> would be alot better if a complete solution was packaged together.

So if your product was based on Microsoft Visual Studio and Oracle, what
would be different? I mean, your customers would still be on _your_ back
and wouldn't be at all interested in whether the problem was tracable to
a Microsoft or Oracle bug.

I'm not at all trying to suggest you should change your view of GCC, and
it certainly seems to be the case that while FSF GCC Ada isn't
encumbered, other packages are. Personally, I've always gone for the
"GNAT-modified GPL" or, now, the runtime library exception -
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception-faq.html .