From: Simon Clubley <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP>
Subject: Re: Ada on openvms for alpha
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 02:31:56 +0000 (UTC)
Date: 2014-10-25T02:31:56+00:00	[thread overview]

On 2014-10-24, brbarkstrom@gmail.com <brbarkstrom@gmail.com> wrote:
> A colleague of mine is running openvms on several old alpha workstations. After
> learning enough about openvms to really use the boxes he wants to run some ada
> software on them. Unfortunately GNAT no longer supports openvms on alpha. Does anyone who owns a license for an ada compiler on openvms/alpha be willing to
> sell their license?

Are you talking about FSF GNAT (because as far as I was aware ACT was
still selling GNAT Pro for OpenVMS) ?

If so, then yes, there's apparently no longer a public version of GNAT
which will build for VMS. I don't know if you (or your colleague) follows
comp.os.vms, but I've had a couple of goes over the last couple of years
trying to get the FSF kit to build for VMS.

I didn't invest too much time in it because VMS is no longer a major
hobby interest of mine (I only use it as part of my non-Ada day job
now) but it appears that FSF GNAT either needs some very specific
and undocumentated build settings or (much more likely) not all the
required bits for VMS are present in the current FSF kits.

OTOH, if you mean ACT are no longer selling GNAT Pro for VMS, could
you please confirm that because it means that VMS support is unlikely
to ever be completed in the public FSF kits.

Thanks,

Simon.