* Merging Ada Files
@ 2007-09-12  2:00 prichtmyer
From: prichtmyer @ 2007-09-12  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

We have two versions of an Ada system, both derived/evolved from an
older version. For each Ada file where there are differences in the 2
versions, I would like to make a complete file merge where the output
file identifies (somehow) those lines of code that were only in
version A (if any), and those lines that were only in version B (if
any), as well as possible conflicts. Does anyone know of a tool or way
to accomplish this? Platform can be either MS Windows or Sun - Unix.
Thanks.

* Re: Merging Ada Files
@ 2007-09-12  4:01 ` Per Sandberg
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Per Sandberg @ 2007-09-12  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Two merge tools i find resonable are:
  http://winmerge.org/	(Windows only)
  http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/	(Windows and Linux)

/Per

prichtmyer@yahoo.com wrote:

> We have two versions of an Ada system, both derived/evolved from an
> older version. For each Ada file where there are differences in the 2
> versions, I would like to make a complete file merge where the output
> file identifies (somehow) those lines of code that were only in
> version A (if any), and those lines that were only in version B (if
> any), as well as possible conflicts. Does anyone know of a tool or way
> to accomplish this? Platform can be either MS Windows or Sun - Unix.
> Thanks.

* Re: Merging Ada Files
@ 2007-09-12  8:07   ` Tomek Wa kuski
From: Tomek Wa kuski @ 2007-09-12  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Or:

Meld - http://meld.sourceforge.net

* Re: Merging Ada Files
@ 2007-09-12 12:33 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2007-09-12 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

prichtmyer@yahoo.com writes:

> We have two versions of an Ada system, both derived/evolved from an
> older version. For each Ada file where there are differences in the 2
> versions, I would like to make a complete file merge where the output
> file identifies (somehow) those lines of code that were only in
> version A (if any), and those lines that were only in version B (if
> any), as well as possible conflicts. Does anyone know of a tool or way
> to accomplish this? Platform can be either MS Windows or Sun - Unix.

Gnu diff3 does this nicely, and is available in Cygwin for Windows.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Merging Ada Files
@ 2007-09-12 20:56 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2007-09-12 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNU diff --side-by-side

--S

* Re: Merging Ada Files
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-09-13  3:48 ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2007-09-13  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

<prichtmyer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We have two versions of an Ada system, both derived/evolved from an
> older version. For each Ada file where there are differences in the 2
> versions, I would like to make a complete file merge where the output
> file identifies (somehow) those lines of code that were only in
> version A (if any), and those lines that were only in version B (if
> any), as well as possible conflicts. Does anyone know of a tool or way
> to accomplish this? Platform can be either MS Windows or Sun - Unix.
> Thanks.

If I were given this task, I would use TortoiseSVN on Windows as follows:

1) Create a repository and commit the file(s) in the initial state before
the independent evolution occurred.
2) Create two working copies, one for each of the derived versions, call
them verisions A and B.
3) Copy one of the derivatives into version A and the other into version B.
4) Commit the changes from version A to the respository.
5) Perform an "Update" to the working copy of version B.  If there are
conflicts in the working copy of version B use the merge tool provided with
TortoiseSVN to resolve the conflicts (or any other suitable tool).
6) Commit the the changes from version B to the repository.

The history log of the repository will have one version that lists the
changes that were committed by version A and the changes that were committed
by version B.  If you do a "show log" operation and then right click on an
individual file and pick "Blame" you will get a file listing that annotates
the source of individual changes.

When a conflict gets to hairy to merge using a 3 way merge tool, I often
resolve the difficult areas by hand using a 2 way tool.  The best tool I
have seen for two file comparisons and merge is by far "Beyond Compare".  It
is an inexpensive non-free tool on windows that is way ahead of anything
else I have used.

Regards
Steve
(The Duck)