From: Simon Wright <simon.j.wright@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Compiling Ada from another directory
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:21:02 +0100
Date: 2007-09-18T22:21:02+01:00	[thread overview]

rotinom <rotinom@gmail.com> writes:

> You're right that the Project files are rather trivial, and the
> easiest way to go.  However I am using a build tool called SCons, and
> adding Ada support to that.  It has support for dozens of languages,
> and handles the dependency issues that gnatmake does by itself.  I'm
> just figuring out what the gnattools do under the hood, and adding
> that support in.

Sounds like a lot of work to do that! Have to deal with generics,
inlining, all sorts of stuff; gnatbind will say 'no, you should have
recompiled foo.adb' and isn't likely to say '... because it withs Bar,
which has an inlined subprogram, and bar.adb has been changed in a
non-trivial way'.

We used Ant (I've only just figured out that the reason I have so much
trouble grasping Ant is that it's procedural rather than
declarative!), and had targets to use gnatmake to build the Ada bits.

You used to have to do clever stuff with the gnat tools when the main
program wasn't in Ada, but I believe that's much easier now (not
working on that project any more, hence the vagueness).