* GPS wrong handling of CR / LF in a virtual Windows
@ 2012-02-04 17:05 Achim
From: Achim @ 2012-02-04 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have a very strange problem using the following configuration:

Gnat:	GNAT GPL 2011 / GPS 5.0.1
OS:	Virtual Windows XP using Virtual-Box on Host Mac-OS 10.6

The GPS editor does not handle CR/LF charaters correctly.
When the cursor is at the end of the line (behind the last displayed
character) and enter is pressed, no empty new line appears, but all line
numbers are incremented by one.
E.G. when the cursor is on the 5-th line in front of the 6-th line the
numbers 6 AND 7 are displayed in the same character. After each pressing
of enter another line-number is displayed in front of the next line, all
in the same place, but no new empty line is inserted.

I tried all variations in the preferences-editor-Ada dialogs but without
any success.

I've newer seen such behaviour, not on Mac-OS, Ubuntu or native Windows.

The same thing happens when already existing files are displayed in the
editor. All existing empty lines are not shown.

The whole thing is a bit disturbing.
I would appreciate any hint.

Best regards.

--
Achim

* Re: GPS wrong handling of CR / LF in a virtual Windows
@ 2012-02-04 20:50 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2012-02-04 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Achim <joachim.schroeer@web.de> writes:

> I have a very strange problem using the following configuration:
>
> Gnat:	GNAT GPL 2011 / GPS 5.0.1
> OS:	Virtual Windows XP using Virtual-Box on Host Mac-OS 10.6
>
> The GPS editor does not handle CR/LF charaters correctly.
> When the cursor is at the end of the line (behind the last displayed
> character) and enter is pressed, no empty new line appears, but all
> line numbers are incremented by one.
> E.G. when the cursor is on the 5-th line in front of the 6-th line the
> numbers 6 AND 7 are displayed in the same character. After each
> pressing of enter another line-number is displayed in front of the
> next line, all in the same place, but no new empty line is inserted.
>
> I tried all variations in the preferences-editor-Ada dialogs but
> without any success.
>
> I've newer seen such behaviour, not on Mac-OS, Ubuntu or native Windows.
>
> The same thing happens when already existing files are displayed in
> the editor. All existing empty lines are not shown.
>
> The whole thing is a bit disturbing.
> I would appreciate any hint.

This sounds rather like the problem I reported 31 July 2010 [J731-001];
if so, it's to do with font selection.

> On Mac OS X Snow Leopard, GNAT GPL 2010's GPS 4.4.1 doesn't find the
> Lucida fonts; the result is odd-looking, not least because blank lines
> are squashed: see lines 22/23, 25/26, 27/28 etc below.
>
> Monaco is a much better choice (at points 10/9 rather than the default
> 12/10).

On this machine (Lion) I have the fonts set to Inconsolata, but I think
that was a download from <somewhere>. Monaco certainly works for me.

In Edit/Preferences, there are 2 font settings unger General and one
under Editor/Fonts & Colors - the last is the one that controls code
appearance.

HTH

* Re: GPS wrong handling of CR / LF in a virtual Windows
@ 2012-02-04 21:54   ` Achim
From: Achim @ 2012-02-04 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks very much Simon.
I had never expected such a trivial reason for that strange behaviour.
I changed my fixed font from Courier 10 to Courier new 10 and viola
* After the change in the "General" tab a press on enter inserts an
empty line and
* after I changed the font in the Editor Tab too all the blank lines
reappeared.

Thanks again.

--

@ 2012-02-04 23:06     ` Simon Wright