From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Sledgehammer Indexing Tools
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:55:48 +0100
Date: 2012-08-07T11:55:48+01:00	[thread overview]

3-toed Sloth <john@peppermind.com> writes:

> I've just released some document indexing tools for GNU/Linux on
> launchpad which are written in Ada:
>
> https://launchpad.net/sledgehammer
>
> They come with a makefile and a GPS project file. They heavily depend
> on external converters, so please check the dependencies in the Readme
> file before trying the indexer out.
>
> Comments and suggestions for improvement are welcome. Please bear in
> mind that I'm a hobbyist and this is only the second Ada program I've
> ever written, though, so please don't be too harsh with your
> criticisms. :-)

Erich,

Thanks for sharing.

Since I'm on Mac OS X I'd probably have trouble meeting the
preconditions! However, a comment or two --

Your repo contains .npp and .adt files, both of these are generated and
shouldn't be there.

In - for example - external_lookup.ads, you've "use"d several of your
own packages. I'd think that you can reasonably expect readers to know
the standard library (for example, Indefinite_Vectors), but how can they
know where Occurrences is defined?

Again in external_lookup.ads, couldn't most of the private part be moved
to the package body?

Have you looked at GNAT.OS_Lib, which contains various Spawn
subprograms?