From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Ada Annex G
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:32:39 +0000
Date: 2010-12-20T17:32:39+00:00	[thread overview]

"Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma@12000.org> writes:

> I made a list of the result here (including Matlab and
> Mathematica functions).
>
> http://12000.org/my_notes/lapack_analysis/lapack/index.htm
>
> Please correct me if you see any errors, and I will
> fix the note above.

Annex G includes no support for xGyyyy (symmetric/hermitian matrices
only).

> Conclusion on Ada:
>
> 1) no support complex types Ax=b, only real, but
> this does not seem too important. Not sure now.

Annex G includes support for complex hermitian matrices.

My https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnat-math-extn/ project - so far -
extends Annex G by adding xGEEV support.

> 2) No condition number function
>
> 3) NO solver for Constrained Linear Least Squares
>
> 4) No Generalized Linear Regression Model
>
> 5) No Schur Decomposition
>
> 6) No Singular Value Decomposition  (SVD)
>
> 7) No generalized Singular Value Decomposition
>
> 8) No support for finding Eigenvalues/Eigenvectors for the generalized case.

The next step I had in mind was xGGEV support.

> It seems to me it would have been more efficient to provide an
> "offical" bindings to the most stable known math libraries
> out there, than to try to provide this in an Ada standard
> library such as the annex? May be a thich binding? But
> this is not an easy problem. Whcih libraries? which
> versions? who will make such an "official" binding, etc...

I think it would be unfair to suggest that Annex G was the minimum that
could be got away with, rather it was the minimum that would be really
useful. Certainly it's in the style of a thick binding.