* Getting GNAT to work on a Mac
@ 2011-06-02  1:42 TI Launchpad
From: TI Launchpad @ 2011-06-02  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running Mac OSX 10.6. I've downloaded GNAT from www.libre.com, but
that simply produced a folder whose 'bin' subfolder contains a lot of
programs - when I typed "gnat make "hello.adb" in Terminal, it said
that gnat was not recognized as a command. So, I re-installed gcc, and
now I have gcc version 4.2.1. But when I type in "gcc "hello.adb", I
get an error: Ada compiler is not intstalled on this system. I've
fiddled around a little it; now when I type in "gnat" in Terminal, it
lists  a bunch of gnat commands I can use, but I still can't get Ada
files to compile. I have successfully added Ada to my PATH (I think),
by using the command, "export PATH=/usr/local/ada-4.2/bin:$PATH" in
Terminal. Now, when I type in "env" in Terminal, it shows that Ada 4.2
is on my PATH - but GNAT and gcc still don't work! What should I do?
Thanks in advance for your help!

* Re: Getting GNAT to work on a Mac
@ 2011-06-02  2:10 ` TI Launchpad
From: TI Launchpad @ 2011-06-02  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

UPDATE: I kinda got it to work by installing GNAT 4.3 from macada.com.
It gives about a page of error messages - but generates a working
executable. Hm.

* Re: Getting GNAT to work on a Mac
@ 2011-06-02  2:51   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2011-06-02  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/06/2011 03:10, in article
1bc3a9f4-b5a4-4899-af51-f8597026dec9@g12g2000yqd.googlegroups.com, "TI
Launchpad" <gautamcgoel@gmail.com> wrote:

> UPDATE: I kinda got it to work by installing GNAT 4.3 from macada.com.
> It gives about a page of error messages - but generates a working
> executable. Hm.

GNAT GPL 2010 from http://libre.adacore.com/libre/ works perfectly if you
follow the instructions, in my experience.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: Getting GNAT to work on a Mac
@ 2011-06-02  5:54 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2011-06-02  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

TI Launchpad <gautamcgoel@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm running Mac OSX 10.6. I've downloaded GNAT from www.libre.com, but
> that simply produced a folder whose 'bin' subfolder contains a lot of
> programs - when I typed "gnat make "hello.adb" in Terminal, it said
> that gnat was not recognized as a command. So, I re-installed gcc, and
> now I have gcc version 4.2.1. But when I type in "gcc "hello.adb", I
> get an error: Ada compiler is not intstalled on this system. I've
> fiddled around a little it; now when I type in "gnat" in Terminal, it
> lists  a bunch of gnat commands I can use, but I still can't get Ada
> files to compile. I have successfully added Ada to my PATH (I think),
> by using the command, "export PATH=/usr/local/ada-4.2/bin:$PATH" in
> Terminal. Now, when I type in "env" in Terminal, it shows that Ada 4.2
> is on my PATH - but GNAT and gcc still don't work! What should I do?
> Thanks in advance for your help!

I don't understand what you mean by 're-installed gcc'? The standard GCC
on Mac OS X comes in Xcode, I'm pretty sure.

After the download, you did do the 'doinstall' step?

You say "GNAT and gcc still don't work", can you show us an example with
the error messages?