From: Jeffrey Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Assembling Complex Strings Containing Carriage Returns Prior to Using Ada.Text_IO.Put?
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 09:50:23 -0700
Date: 2014-10-22T09:50:23-07:00	[thread overview]

On 10/22/2014 09:01 AM, Shark8 wrote:

> Ah, but CRLF *is* standard for a new line, just look at RFC-822!
> So it's the *nix environs that are non-standard! ;)

CR & LF come to us from the Good Old Days of teletypes. CR returned the
mechanism so the next character would print in the 1st column; LF advanced the
paper a line. The 2 were separate so that a CR by itself could be used to
overprint a line.

In my early computing experience we didn't deal with ASCII, much less with
non-graphic control characters. (I'm not even sure if the CDC-6400's 6-bit
character set had those.) Input was either on 80-column punched cards, or in
record-oriented disk files that mimicked punched cards. Output went to 600-LPM
line printers, with paper motion controlled by the 1st character of each line
(space to advance to the next line, '+' to overprint the current line, and '1'
for a form feed).

--
Jeff Carter
"C++ is like giving an AK-47 to a monk, shooting him