From: Jeffrey Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Assembling Complex Strings Containing Carriage Returns Prior to Using Ada.Text_IO.Put?
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:25:21 -0700
Date: 2014-10-21T23:25:21-07:00	[thread overview]

On 10/21/2014 10:57 PM, NiGHTS wrote:

> Complex_String : Ada.Strings.Unbounded.Unbounded_String;
> EOL            : String := ASCII.CR'Img;

I presume you're using GNAT; this gives you the image of the enumeration value
CR; I suspect you want the enumeration value (character) itself. Try using

EOL : constant Character := Ada.Characters.Latin_1.CR;

'Img is a non-standard, vendor-dependent attribute; you should not use it in
production code if you have any interest in portability. ASCII is an obsolete
unit and should not be used.

What system uses CR for line terminators these days? I suspect the result will
not be what you expect, which is why a better approach would be to actually
convert this to Ada and simply use a series of Put_Line statements, rather than
trying to copy the mistakes of C in Ada.

> The searches I performed on Google seem to be void of any hints on how to get this working. I can't imagine that I am the only one with this requirement in Ada.

That's because this is not the Ada Way.

--
Jeff Carter
"We call your door-opening request a silly thing."