* Ada Compilers for TMS320C40 processors
@ 1999-04-02  0:00 Xavier Cusset
From: Xavier Cusset @ 1999-04-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

    Are there others Ada compilers available for TMS320C40 processor
than the one from Tartan (TEXAS now) which is rather expensive.

    Thanks in advance.

     Xavier Cusset

* Re: Ada Compilers for TMS320C40 processors
@ 1999-04-02  0:00 ` Corey Minyard
From: Corey Minyard @ 1999-04-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Cusset <xavier.cusset@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Hello
>
>     Are there others Ada compilers available for TMS320C40 processor
> than the one from Tartan (TEXAS now) which is rather expensive.
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>
>      Xavier Cusset

You can get GCC compiler patches for 2.8.1 that support the C40 at

	http://www.elec.canterbury.ac.nz/c4x/

Theoretically, you could use that in conjunction with GNAT to
produce a working Ada95 C40 compiler.  Some work might be
required, but it would probably be pretty close.  But I've
never done it.

--
Corey Minyard                   Internet:  minyard@acm.org
  Work: minyard@nortelnetworks.com  UUCP:  minyard@wf-rch.cirr.com

* Re: Ada Compilers for TMS320C40 processors
@ 1999-04-03  0:00 ` robert_dewar
From: robert_dewar @ 1999-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37051B3E.2542B8CD@wanadoo.fr>,
  xavier.cusset@wanadoo.fr wrote:
> Hello
>
>     Are there others Ada compilers available for
>     TMS320C40 processor
>     than the one from Tartan (TEXAS now) which is rather
>     expensive.

and is also obsolete (it is basically an Ada 83 compiler).
(yes, yes, I know Richard, sometimes obsolete tools are
appropriate :-)

There are two paths to consider. There is a gcc port, so
a GNAT port is certainly practical.

The other approach is to use the Intermetrics compiler to
generate C code, there is some loss of efficiency in this
translation, and some loss of debugging information, but
this approach may be quite acceptable in practice (it would
not surprise me if it turned out to be competitive with the
Tartan compiler in practice, and the fact that it is Ada 95
is a big advantage).