* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
       [not found] <1151320748.360707.79490@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>
@ 2006-06-26 15:49 ` Martin Krischik
       [not found]   ` <1151342956.402547.244450@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>
From: Martin Krischik @ 2006-06-26 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

randomm@mindless.com wrote:

> I get the impression that I'm the only one (trying) to use GPS?

No I use the GPS as well.

> I just
> downloaded the June 2006 GPL edition and, as usual, it's a full-time
> job trying to get preferences set and saved.  This time some of the
> font selections are overridden (they revert) and the prefs aren't saved
> unless you do Save...more...all.  The working directory doesn't seem to
> be saved in any case.  I found the exact same problems with GPS in Win
> and Linux.  At this point I am trying to set up a development
> environment on Linux.

The GPS has been bad about saving then setting. Best is to open the settings
file with vim and then hack the setting in the way you want it.

> Also as with the 2005 GPL version of GPS, I cannot get it to open
> documentation in my browser.  Whether I specify mozilla or not, it
> tries to use mozilla, but for some reason mozilla doesn't open.  When I
> open a terminal and issue "mozilla file:///path.to.document " as shown
> in the GPS messages, mozilla happily opens the document.  Has anyone
> got this to work?!

I noticed that as well.

> It's difficult indeed to imagine that anyone at Adacore has spent more
> than five minutes looking at GPS in the last two years...

Or maybe the default setting is just the way they want it and if you don't
like the AdaCore defaults then tuff luck.

But then: When they get the OpenVMS connectivity running I am going to
plaster them with bug reports - via GNAT-Tracker of course :-].

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

@ 2006-06-26 16:26 ` Alex R. Mosteo
       [not found]   ` <1151343516.598780.72970@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2006-06-26 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I get the impression that I'm the only one (trying) to use GPS?

Nopes. I use it too (in linux). And there are brave souls using the CVS
versions, I believe.

> I just
> downloaded the June 2006 GPL edition and, as usual, it's a full-time
> job trying to get preferences set and saved.  This time some of the
> font selections are overridden (they revert) and the prefs aren't saved
> unless you do Save...more...all.  The working directory doesn't seem to
> be saved in any case.  I found the exact same problems with GPS in Win
> and Linux.  At this point I am trying to set up a development
> environment on Linux.

I remember having no problems in 2005 GAP. I haven't tried to change these
settings in 2006 GPL. The most funny thing that I experience with 2006 is
that when I open my project, no window is shown inside the IDE until I
resize it, and then everything appears as expected.

> Also as with the 2005 GPL version of GPS, I cannot get it to open
> documentation in my browser.  Whether I specify mozilla or not, it
> tries to use mozilla, but for some reason mozilla doesn't open.  When I
> open a terminal and issue "mozilla file:///path.to.document " as shown
> in the GPS messages, mozilla happily opens the document.  Has anyone
> got this to work?!

Interestingly enough, this used to work for me with 2005 GAP until not long
ago (say two months?). Then it broke (without changing gps versions) as you
describe, and I don't know what caused the problem, but as it seems it
could be some external factor. It continues not working with 2006 GPL for
me, in ubuntu dapper.

> It's difficult indeed to imagine that anyone at Adacore has spent more
> than five minutes looking at GPS in the last two years...

Certainly GPS lacks the polish of other IDEs, but is not that bad IMHO. I'm
however interested in the Eclipse plugins, alas they're not freely
available. I guess that the development of GPS started at a point where
there was no evident alternative; if it were today it seems more fruitful
to customize a established IDE (like eclipse) than reinventing the wheel. I
don't know however how much a problem could be to use eclipse in some of
the supported gnat platforms...

@ 2006-06-26 17:42     ` M E Leypold
       [not found]       ` <1151437378.281759.5280@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-26 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:

> If anyone can help me with instructions on using the Ada-mode 3.6 for
> Emacs that would be lovely.

What's the problem? I'm using Emacs, Ada-Mode and the shell as "IDE".

Regards -- Markus

@ 2006-06-26 18:09     ` M E Leypold
       [not found]       ` <1151438643.540118.175130@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
       [not found]       ` <1151438075.641788.269960@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-26 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:

> I think GPS is really dreadful.  I haven't seen anything as bad in
> years.  It's more like pre-alpha code.  If I were a paying customer I
> would be outraged.

I find everything to small and fiddly (is that an english word?). GVD
was much better if you just wanted to debug something.

As far as AdaMode goes: in my opinion a step into the right direction:
As a developer I want to see and manage source files in an efficient
way.

Building everything else around a good text editor makes sense. Still
the debugger support is atrocious. In my memory Turbo debugger (and
the Turbo IDE) where quite good and efficient. That was 15 to 20 years
ago. It speaks volumes that I'm still looking for a debugger which has
the ease of use of Turbo Debugger for interactive debugging ...

> The main thing I'm hoping to gain from the IDE is build management for
> substantial projects.  If that's easily done in Emacs, I may forego GPS
> entirely.

Yes. Use Emacs and Gnatmake if you have pure Ada projects,
additionally use (Gnu) make if you also need to generate Ada files
from other descriptions. I'm also using Cygwin as a shell enviroment
to build on windows (logging in with ssh remotely).

I think that is a good way to go. If you need, I can post parts of
Makefiles, build scripts, and project files, just ask specifically.

> If some of the vendors would make it affordable for one-man development
> startups to buy their compiler and IDE, I wouldn't mind purchasing
> something.  I certainly can't spend thousands of rand at this point.

They keyword would be "community support/ shared work". Many small
startups can share their efforts to get a useful enviroment going
(probably less graphical as IDE is concerned, graphical IDEs come and
go and seem mostly for show), but nonetheless useful. And hopefully
useable as long as Ada source leaves (which is decades and much longer
than Eclipse will be around ...).

Regards -- Markus

@ 2006-06-27  6:54     ` ME
From: ME @ 2006-06-27  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I downloaded an installed the latest version (windows) and for some reason
it locked up on me while using it. I am running windows with all the latest
service packs and updates.

@ 2006-06-27 11:39 ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2006-06-27 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I get the impression that I'm the only one (trying) to use GPS?  I just
> downloaded the June 2006 GPL edition and, as usual, it's a full-time
> job trying to get preferences set and saved.  This time some of the
> font selections are overridden (they revert) and the prefs aren't saved
> unless you do Save...more...all.  The working directory doesn't seem to
> be saved in any case.  I found the exact same problems with GPS in Win
> and Linux.  At this point I am trying to set up a development
> environment on Linux.
>
> Also as with the 2005 GPL version of GPS, I cannot get it to open
> documentation in my browser.  Whether I specify mozilla or not, it
> tries to use mozilla, but for some reason mozilla doesn't open.  When I
> open a terminal and issue "mozilla file:///path.to.document " as shown
> in the GPS messages, mozilla happily opens the document.  Has anyone
> got this to work?!
>
> It's difficult indeed to imagine that anyone at Adacore has spent more
> than five minutes looking at GPS in the last two years...

I look at the CVS archives all the time and it is pretty clear that GPS
remains in active development. Having said that, I agree that each time
I have considered using it, I have been frustrated by one aspect or
another and have dropped back to AdaGide on windows or vim/emacs/eclipse
  with some command line compiling.

Several months ago, there was quite a lot of discussion on the eclipse
CDT mailing list about building Ada support into CDT but it has gotten
quiet. There are quite a few plugins that at least do semi-smart Ada
editing for eclipse and it is pretty easy to setup to kick off a compile
within eclipse but nothing does "go to line" on error yet.

@ 2006-06-27 13:31     ` Alex R. Mosteo
       [not found]       ` <1151417657.725848.229020@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2006-06-27 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com wrote:

> Alex R. Mosteo wrote:
>> Randall Q. Huxley III wrote:
>> > Also as with the 2005 GPL version of GPS, I cannot get it to open
>> > documentation in my browser.  Whether I specify mozilla or not, it
>> > tries to use mozilla, but for some reason mozilla doesn't open.  When I
>> > open a terminal and issue "mozilla file:///path.to.document " as shown
>> > in the GPS messages, mozilla happily opens the document.  Has anyone
>> > got this to work?!
>>
>> Interestingly enough, this used to work for me with 2005 GAP until not
>> long ago (say two months?). Then it broke (without changing gps versions)
>> as you describe, and I don't know what caused the problem, but as it
>> seems it could be some external factor. It continues not working with
>> 2006 GPL for me, in ubuntu dapper.
>
> How did you set it up when it worked?  Did you not specify anything and
> allow it to default, or had you entered something in the browser box?

Defaults.

>> > It's difficult indeed to imagine that anyone at Adacore has spent more
>> > than five minutes looking at GPS in the last two years...
>>
>> Certainly GPS lacks the polish of other IDEs, but is not that bad IMHO.
>> I'm however interested in the Eclipse plugins, alas they're not freely
>> available. I guess that the development of GPS started at a point where
>> there was no evident alternative; if it were today it seems more fruitful
>> to customize a established IDE (like eclipse) than reinventing the wheel.
>> I don't know however how much a problem could be to use eclipse in some
>> of the supported gnat platforms...
>
> I avoid Java like the plague that it is, so Eclipse for me is out of
> the question.  I'll be perfectly fine with Emacs if I can figure out
> how to use the Ada mode (actually Emacs comes with an Ada mode which
> seems to work pretty well, but I don't know what I'm missing from the
> one available from libre, and I don't know how to point it at the gnat
> from GPL, so I had to install gcc gnat in the normal locations to get
> Emacs to build anything).

I'm not specially thrilled by Java (the language), but my few experiences
with eclipse have been very satisfactory, even if it's a bit heavy.

If you're an Emacs beast then this is out of the question, but you can get
also a good experience with Vim and two or three plugins: the project one,
the spec/body switcher for example. I used this environment for quite some
time and also liked it. The thing I missed that GPS has is the use of .ali
files for code-jumping.

> I think GPS is really dreadful.  I haven't seen anything as bad in
> years.  It's more like pre-alpha code.  If I were a paying customer I
> would be outraged.
>
> The main thing I'm hoping to gain from the IDE is build management for
> substantial projects.  If that's easily done in Emacs, I may forego GPS
> entirely.

Well, my build management is completely governed by the project files. I
don't think GPS has much to offer in this respect. Specially since editing
your project settings via GPS is foolish (IMO), because GPS will rewrite
your project file and fully expand the combinations of your project
external variables via case statements, which is exponential, making it
unreadable and un-editable by hand. Maybe the purpose is that you don't
have to edit them by hand, but I've always needed to do it sooner or later
so for now I avoid touching project settings from GPS.

What I do is to have my project files edited by hand, and in GPS I simply
launch the compilation of the main procedures via key bindings. Notably, if
you edit the project file outside GPS, it will detect it, re-read it and
apply the new settings automatically (even if some menus aren't updated).

In very rare cases where I have needed some pre-processing (for example to
generate resource files with awsres) I add a wrapper Makefile that does the
preprocess and invokes the compilation. There's no dependency hell since I
leave all that to gnat, so the makefiles are really small, understandable
and not bug-prone.

@ 2006-06-27 13:34   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
       [not found]   ` <1151410861.923912.302040@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2006-06-27 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 07:39:49 -0400, Jeffrey Creem wrote:

> I have considered using it, I have been frustrated by one aspect or
> another and have dropped back to AdaGide on windows or vim/emacs/eclipse
> with some command line compiling.

Me too. AdaGide is superior to GPS in many aspects, including BTW "project
management". I don't like that blown up Microsoft [Borland?] idea, GPS
tries to mimic. But AdaGide lacks integrated visual debugger and it is
platform dependent.

> Several months ago, there was quite a lot of discussion on the eclipse
> CDT mailing list about building Ada support into CDT but it has gotten
> quiet. There are quite a few plugins that at least do semi-smart Ada
> editing for eclipse and it is pretty easy to setup to kick off a compile
> within eclipse but nothing does "go to line" on error yet.

I think it must be Ada, all the way. I have a strong impression that many
GPS problems are actually rooted in GTK.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

@ 2006-06-27 14:38         ` Alex R. Mosteo
       [not found]           ` <1151419844.957473.214400@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2006-06-27 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com wrote:

> Alex R. Mosteo wrote:
>> randomm@mindless.com wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> Well, my build management is completely governed by the project files. I
>> don't think GPS has much to offer in this respect. Specially since
>> editing your project settings via GPS is foolish (IMO), because GPS will
>> rewrite your project file and fully expand the combinations of your
>> project external variables via case statements, which is exponential,
>> making it unreadable and un-editable by hand. Maybe the purpose is that
>> you don't have to edit them by hand, but I've always needed to do it
>> sooner or later so for now I avoid touching project settings from GPS.
>
> This is where I'm lost since I don't have a clue about project files or
> how to create/manage them.  Is there a good (focused) explanation of
> this?

The gnat users guide has a good in-depth explanation, section 11. Gnat
Project Manager. Some parts are undoubtedly a bit hard on a first read, but
you can get a good general idea at first and all the details later. I
started with a basic project file generated by GPS to learn the basics. Now
I have a skeleton project file with all the basic configuration I use by
default, and I tailor it when something special is needed.

The rough rule is that every tab in the project setting of GPS corresponds
to a package in the project file. The next important thing are external
vars and case statements, I find these very handy.

> But, what I meant was the IDE preferences themselves were getting
> completely wiped out.....

Yep, I understand these are two different problems. I've never suffered the
one with the IDE prefs, so I understand your experience with GPS has been
comparably poorer.

Now I seem to remember that my prefs where messed when switching versions,
but I'm not sure. Maybe you could try to completely wipe the .gps folder in
your home directory and start over.

I admit that I've never acquired total control over GPS fonts, some of them
seem to be inherited from general GTK config...

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-27 15:11   ` Pascal Obry
       [not found]   ` <1151410861.923912.302040@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>
From: Pascal Obry @ 2006-06-27 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Creem

Jeffrey Creem a �crit :

> I look at the CVS archives all the time and it is pretty clear that GPS
> remains in active development. Having said that, I agree that each time
> I have considered using it, I have been frustrated by one aspect or
> another and have dropped back to AdaGide on windows or vim/emacs/eclipse
>  with some command line compiling.

As you probably knows I've been a great fan of Emacs but for sure GPS is
now my favorite editor. The browsing facilities is far superior. It
takes time to change tools, but once you are used to GPS it is really a
great tool. Of course, this is really depending on user's habit...

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

@ 2006-06-27 15:13             ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2006-06-27 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com wrote:

> Thanks very much, I'll have a look there.  Alas, I won't have a sample
> project file to look at since GPS is now gone from my machine.

I attach my base project file for your convenience. It has nothing special
but my selection of switches for the compiler tools.

[-- Attachment #2: template.gpr --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2265 bytes --]

project Template is

   type Build_Type is ("Debug", "Release", "No_Options", "Profile");
   Build : Build_Type := external ("Build", "Debug");

   for Source_Dirs use (".");

   for Object_Dir use "obj";
   for Exec_Dir use "obj";
   for Languages use ("ada");

   for Main use ("main.adb");

   package Ide is
      for Vcs_Kind use "Subversion";
   end Ide;

   package Compiler is

      for Default_Switches ("c") use
        ("-g");
      for Default_Switches ("ada") use
        ("-g", "-gnatf", "-gnat05", "-gnatwcfjklmopruvz", "-gnatyacehikn", "-gnatqQ");

      case Build is

         when "Profile" =>
            for Default_Switches ("ada") use Compiler'Default_Switches ("ada") &
              ("-O2", "-gnato", "-fstack-check", "-gnata", "-gnatpg");

         when "Debug" =>

            for Default_Switches ("ada") use Compiler'Default_Switches ("ada") &
              ("-O2", "-gnato", "-fstack-check", "-gnata");

         when "Release" =>

            for Default_Switches ("ada") use Compiler'Default_Switches ("ada") &
              ("-O2", "-gnatn", "-gnatN");

         when "No_Options" =>

            for Default_Switches ("ada") use ("-gnat05");
            --  Deliberately override default switches not to have any!

      end case;
   end Compiler;

   package Binder is

      for Default_Switches ("ada") use ("-E", "-g");

   end Binder;

   package Linker is

      for Default_Switches ("ada") use ("-g", "-Wl,--gc-sections");
      for Default_Switches ("c") use ("-g");
      for Default_Switches ("c++") use ("-g");

   end Linker;

   package Builder is

      for Default_Switches ("ada") use ("-g");

   end Builder;

   package Pretty_Printer is
      for Default_Switches ("ada") use ("-A1", "-A2", "-A3", "-A4");
   end Pretty_Printer;

   package Naming is
      for Specification_Suffix ("C") use ".h";
      for Implementation_Suffix ("C") use ".c";
      for Specification_Suffix ("C++") use ".hh";
      for Implementation_Suffix ("C++") use ".cpp";
      for Implementation_Suffix ("C++") use ".cc";
      for Specification_Suffix ("Changelog") use "changelog";
      for Specification_Suffix ("Project file") use ".gpr";
      for Specification_Suffix ("Python") use ".py";
   end Naming;

end Template;

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-27 15:35               ` randomm
From: randomm @ 2006-06-27 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Alex.  I have no idea what I'm looking at, but I've saved it in
a safe place ;)

Cheers,
Rand

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-27 19:57     ` Björn Persson
From: Björn Persson @ 2006-06-27 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> I think it must be Ada, all the way. I have a strong impression that many
> GPS problems are actually rooted in GTK.

That may be so, but that can't be the whole story. Lots and lots of
other programs use GTK, and they generally work rather well.

--
Bj�rn Persson                              PGP key A88682FD
                    omb jor ers @sv ge.

@ 2006-06-27 22:12         ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-27 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:
> I'm confused at the differences between gcc ada (which they seem to
> call GNAT and use all the same commands- gnatmake, gnatbind, etc.) and
> ACT's GNAT.  Why are there two Ada compilers (front-ends?) with the
> same names?

They are in fact the same compiler; see
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Installing

--
Ludovic Brenta.

@ 2006-06-27 22:31     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2006-06-27 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:

> Emacs Ada mode (as supplied with Emacs 21.x- I still haven't figured
> out how to set up the Ada-mode from Libre) is quite nice in some
> regards but is giving me fits in other areas.  For example, once you
> build a compilation unit, even though you kill its buffer and start
> working on another compilation unit, all subsequent builds in the
> lifetime of that Emacs point to the original compilation unit (the
> wrong source gets built).  I don't see a way to compile another
> source module short of killing Emacs entirely and starting a new
> session.  This is surely a show-stopper for any serious development.

The Emacs ada-mode is likely to be a lot more up-to-date than the one
from Libre (the Emacs has if nothing else a copyright notice dating
from this year, the libre one is several years old).

Your problem is that your first Ada compilation uses a newly-created
default "project" which builds that program; you need a different
project for different programs.

NB all: this is *not* the same as the GNAT Project, .gpr, defined by
current GNAT. The suffix convention is (was) .adp.

I'll have a go at describing creating a minimal one; it's been a while
(the supported Ada-mode, which is part of a customised Emacs called
GLIDE, will read GPR files, so we don't use ADPs any more).

Load your main program, select Ada > Project > New, choose a filename
(my_program.adp, say). You should get an Emacs attempt at a tabbed
dialog box.

In the General tab, set the executable file name and the file name of
the main unit, normally the same.

The Paths tab is where you define the location of your source (the
default will work for a single-directory project).

That's all you need for starters; save and build (C-c C-c).

To build another program, give it its own project; swap projects via
the Ada > Project menu.

This is a sample General page (monospaced font, please!) from a more
complex project:

               Project and Editor configuration.

  ___________    ____________    ____________    ____________    ____________
 / [General] \  /   [Paths]  \  / [Switches] \  / [Ada Menu] \  / [Debugger] \
/             \/______________\/______________\/______________\/______________\
Project file name:
/Users/simon/sf/coldframe/coldframe/Event_Test.test/Event_Test.adp

Executable file name:				      [Help]  (main)
/Users/simon/sf/coldframe/coldframe/event_test-harness

File name of the main unit:			      [Help]  (main_unit)
event_test-harness

Build directory:				      [Help]  (build_dir)
/Users/simon/sf/coldframe/coldframe/.build/

Name of the remote machine (if any):		      [Help]  (remote_machine)

Prefix used in for the cross tool chain:	      [Help]  (cross_prefix)

       [Reset to Default Values]         [Cancel]         [Save]

and this is the Paths page:

               Project and Editor configuration.

  ___________    ____________    ____________    ____________    ____________
 / [General] \  /   [Paths]  \  / [Switches] \  / [Ada Menu] \  / [Debugger] \
/_____________\/              \/______________\/______________\/______________\
Source directories:				      [Help]  (src_dir)
[Load From File]      [Load Recursive Directory]
           ${build_dir}
[INS][DEL] /Users/simon/sf/coldframe/coldframe/Event_Test.gen/
[INS][DEL] /Users/simon/sf/coldframe/coldframe/Event_Test.impl/
[INS][DEL] /Users/simon/sf/coldframe/coldframe/
[INS][DEL] /Users/simon/bc/
[INS][DEL] /Users/simon/sf/coldframe/coldframe/Event_Test.test/
[INS][DEL] /Users/simon/AUnit-1.03p/aunit/
[INS][DEL] /Users/simon/AUnit-1.03p/aunit/framework/
[INS][DEL] /Users/simon/AUnit-1.03p/aunit/text_reporter/
[INS]
           .
           /opt/gnat-gpl-2005/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.4.1/3.4.5/adainclude/

Object directories:				      [Help]  (obj_dir)
[Load From File]      [Load Recursive Directory]
           ${build_dir}
[INS][DEL] ~/
[INS][DEL] ./
[INS][DEL] /Users/simon/sf/coldframe/coldframe/Event_Test.test/
[INS]
           .
           /opt/gnat-gpl-2005/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin7.4.1/3.4.5/adalib/

@ 2006-06-27 23:06         ` M E Leypold
       [not found]           ` <1151496427.622323.141370@x69g2000cwx.googlegroups.com>
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-27 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:

> M E Leypold wrote:
> > randomm@mindless.com writes:
> >
> > > If anyone can help me with instructions on using the Ada-mode 3.6 for
> > > Emacs that would be lovely.
> >
> > What's the problem? I'm using Emacs, Ada-Mode and the shell as "IDE".
> >
> > Regards -- Markus
>
> I would like to use Emacs as the "IDE" as I do for other languages.
> Are you using the Ada-mode supplied with Emacs 21.x?  Or are you using
> the Ada-mode from ACT, or some other Ada-mode?

I use the one coming with Debian. Whichever version that is.

> I don't understand how to "install" the Ada-mode files (about 5 Emacs
> lisp sources) that I downloaded from  the Libre site.  As I mentioned
> above, the Ada-mode that comes with Emacs has a significant problem-
> when you select Build from the Ada menu in Emacs, it builds the source
> you're looking at.

You need to create a adp file to set the "main file" to build. Then it
builds always your program. use Ada->Project->New from the emacs
menubar to create a new project file for Ada mode.

> And then, if you try to build again while in a new source (even
> after killing the buffer for the previous source) it builds the old
> source again.

Since it constructed a default adp file from the first file.

> I have not found a way, other than killing that
> instance of Emacs and starting a new one, to ever build more than
> one source module.  That doesn't sound like a good productivity
> proposition!

No. I missed the point for some time too. Since then I generate (that
is a bit unusual) a adp file for every executable from the Makefile.

  statfix.adb  -> statfix.adp
  createdb.adb -> createdb.adp

etc.

Now on first compilation I'm asked what I want to compile, except if
the file that is open is one of the main files, then the selection is
automatically.

The debugger is a pain in emacs, though. Its workable, but you have to
convince yourself.

Keep asking.

Regards -- Markus

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-27 23:09           ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-27 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> randomm@mindless.com writes:
> > I'm confused at the differences between gcc ada (which they seem to
> > call GNAT and use all the same commands- gnatmake, gnatbind, etc.) and
> > ACT's GNAT.  Why are there two Ada compilers (front-ends?) with the
> > same names?
>
> They are in fact the same compiler; see

But not any more as I understand it? Or am I being mistaken that ACT
stopped contributing to the FSF tree some time ago and the fork is
permanent now?

(and know, don't flame me anyone, it is/was their right to stop if
they did. I only want know wether there is an actual fork now, or
wether my information is wrong).

@ 2006-06-27 23:23         ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-27 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:

> M E Leypold wrote:
> > randomm@mindless.com writes:
>
> snip
>
> > Yes. Use Emacs and Gnatmake if you have pure Ada projects,
> > additionally use (Gnu) make if you also need to generate Ada files
> > from other descriptions. I'm also using Cygwin as a shell enviroment
> > to build on windows (logging in with ssh remotely).
> >
> > I think that is a good way to go. If you need, I can post parts of
> > Makefiles, build scripts, and project files, just ask specifically.
>
> Thanks very much, indeed.  I'm just starting to try to learn Ada and
> I'm cutting and pasting examples and trying my own small programs.  I'm
> having so much difficulty getting started with the toolset that I don't
> really know what to ask about.  I suppose aside from a basic
> understanding of Ada I need to understand how an Ada project is put
> together.  I found some excellents texts on Ada and I intend to go
> through them all but I haven't seen a discussion of how a project is
> managed (since that's properly the province of the toolset
> documentation).

Exactly. Its outside of the scope of the language definition.

You might start by just using the shell to invoke the Editor on single
source files (in GNAT a compilation unit corresponds to a file:
procedure, package or package body). Then invoke gnatmake on the
program main file (procedure), like this:

   gnatmake foo

That will generate foo from foo.adb (which must contain Procedure
Foo). Gnatmake will take care of all dependencies automatically, so
there is no need to managing anything very much at that point.

(Later: Use a version control system, perhaps, but only in projects
 not pure Ada, use make as a wrapper around gnatmake. I'll send you my
 makefile(s) when need arises).

> Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case with Ada which seems
> understandable given its niche but a shame nevertheless.  In my
> short time examining it, Ada appears to have some extremely nice
> features that are lacking in other HLLs.

ACK. But ... (well, lets skip that :-)). If you want to discuss modern
languages for possible commercial enterprise (I usually like to title
that "languages for the third millenium"), write me privately. This is
comp.lang.ada after all and therefore probably not the right place to
discuss alternatives (interpret that as fallbacks). I hope I can get
you in contact with other smart people (that doesn't include me, but
I'll be here) which like to discuss these things and which are also
advising me sometimes on these issues.

Regards -- Markus

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-27 23:30             ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2006-06-27 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

M E Leypold wrote:
> Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:
>

>>randomm@mindless.com writes:
>>
>>>I'm confused at the differences between gcc ada (which they seem to
>>>call GNAT and use all the same commands- gnatmake, gnatbind, etc.) and
>>>ACT's GNAT.  Why are there two Ada compilers (front-ends?) with the
>>>same names?
>>
>>They are in fact the same compiler; see
>

> But not any more as I understand it? Or am I being mistaken that ACT
> stopped contributing to the FSF tree some time ago and the fork is
> permanent now?
>
> (and know, don't flame me anyone, it is/was their right to stop if
> they did. I only want know wether there is an actual fork now, or
> wether my information is wrong).

I do not believe this is correct. There is a fork in the sense that no
GCC release ever matches an AdaCore release but there are new commits to
the FSF tree from people from AdaCore all the time.

http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/gcc/ada/?sortby=date#dirlist

Of course, for all we know, the runtime there is GPL and not GMGPL
because the only thing we have to go by is the markings in the
files..Which of course we now know is just there to mislead people. :)

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-28  9:23           ` Ludovic Brenta
       [not found]           ` <1151496427.622323.141370@x69g2000cwx.googlegroups.com>
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-28  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

M E Leypold wrote :
> randomm@mindless.com writes:
>> I would like to use Emacs as the "IDE" as I do for other languages.
>> Are you using the Ada-mode supplied with Emacs 21.x?  Or are you using
>> the Ada-mode from ACT, or some other Ada-mode?
>
> I use the one coming with Debian. Whichever version that is.

Both versions are available; one bundled with emacs, and the more
advanced one in the "ada-mode" package.

Personally I use a modified ada-mode that does not use .adp files at
all, it uses the .gpr files directly.  There are limitations, but it
does mostly what I need. I'll make my changes availale somewhere on
request.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-28 12:48             ` M E Leypold
       [not found]             ` <1151496846.934920.174760@x69g2000cwx.googlegroups.com>
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-28 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> M E Leypold wrote :
> > randomm@mindless.com writes:
> >> I would like to use Emacs as the "IDE" as I do for other languages.
> >> Are you using the Ada-mode supplied with Emacs 21.x?  Or are you using
> >> the Ada-mode from ACT, or some other Ada-mode?
> >
> > I use the one coming with Debian. Whichever version that is.
>
> Both versions are available; one bundled with emacs, and the more
> advanced one in the "ada-mode" package.
>
> Personally I use a modified ada-mode that does not use .adp files at
> all, it uses the .gpr files directly.  There are limitations, but it
> does mostly what I need. I'll make my changes availale somewhere on
> request.

I'd humbly request it. Why don't you make a debian package from it :-)

Regards -- Markus

@ 2006-06-28 12:53               ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-28 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:

> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > M E Leypold wrote :
> > >
> > > I use the one coming with Debian. Whichever version that is.
> >
> > Both versions are available; one bundled with emacs, and the more
> > advanced one in the "ada-mode" package.
> >
> > Personally I use a modified ada-mode that does not use .adp files at
> > all, it uses the .gpr files directly.  There are limitations, but it
> > does mostly what I need. I'll make my changes availale somewhere on
> > request.
>
> Right, so can you tell me how I can use the 3.6 Ada-mode from Libre?  I
> renamed the default Ada-mode and put all the files from the 3.6 package
> in the same directory but it didn't load.

What does it mean: "it didn't load?". You did run "load-library" (or
did put "(require ...)" in .emacs) and what happened then? Specific
errors please!

> And meta-x ada-mode didn't
> work after that.

No surprise if it failed to load.

> It says in the comments in 3.6 that I need
> find-file.el but I don't have it.

Never mind that. Are you sure it doesn't come with emacs already? We
are comming to that _after_ we know why ada-mode "failed to load"?

> So for the time being I've reverted
> to the ada-mode packaged with Emacs 21.x.

Anyway: Didn't I understand Ludovico as saying that the ada-mode
coming with 21.x is more advanced anyway? You perhaps would want to
stick with that version then.

Regards -- Markus

@ 2006-06-28 12:54             ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-28 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:

> M E Leypold wrote:
> > randomm@mindless.com writes:

> > You need to create a adp file to set the "main file" to build. Then it
> > builds always your program. use Ada->Project->New from the emacs
> > menubar to create a new project file for Ada mode.
>
> snip
>
> Thanks Markus!  Between you and Simon I should be able to start
> figuring things out shortly.

Yep. I was first, but Simons explanation was rather better and
deserves a place in tha archives.

Regard -- Markus

@ 2006-06-28 20:01               ` Ludovic Brenta
       [not found]                 ` <1151597425.667829.326810@x69g2000cwx.googlegroups.com>
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-28 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:

> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> M E Leypold wrote :
>> >
>> > I use the one coming with Debian. Whichever version that is.
>>
>> Both versions are available; one bundled with emacs, and the more
>> advanced one in the "ada-mode" package.
>>
>> Personally I use a modified ada-mode that does not use .adp files at
>> all, it uses the .gpr files directly.  There are limitations, but it
>> does mostly what I need. I'll make my changes availale somewhere on
>> request.
>
> Right, so can you tell me how I can use the 3.6 Ada-mode from Libre?

apt-get install ada-mode

The post-installation script takes care of the rest.

> I renamed the default Ada-mode and put all the files from the 3.6
> package in the same directory but it didn't load.  And meta-x
> ada-mode didn't work after that.  It says in the comments in 3.6
> that I need find-file.el but I don't have it.  So for the time being
> I've reverted to the ada-mode packaged with Emacs 21.x.

$ locate find-file.el
/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/find-file.el

That's in package emacs21-el.  If this package is not installed, you
have a problem with your system.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

@ 2006-06-28 20:42             ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2006-06-28 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> Personally I use a modified ada-mode that does not use .adp files at
> all, it uses the .gpr files directly.  There are limitations, but it
> does mostly what I need. I'll make my changes availale somewhere on

Ludovic,

I don't know if you know the AdaCore GLIDE? it uses a special program
convert_prj which converts a GPR to a nearly-equivalent ADP.

I see that the sources of convert_prj are (c) FSF ...

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-28 21:07               ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-28 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:
>
>> Personally I use a modified ada-mode that does not use .adp files at
>> all, it uses the .gpr files directly.  There are limitations, but it
>> does mostly what I need. I'll make my changes availale somewhere on
>
> Ludovic,
>
> I don't know if you know the AdaCore GLIDE? it uses a special program
> convert_prj which converts a GPR to a nearly-equivalent ADP.
>
> I see that the sources of convert_prj are (c) FSF ...

Yes, I'm aware of it.  convert_prj is also in the sources of GPS, but
I haven't taken the time to look at it.  I'm reluctant however to use
.adp files at all, even generated, when I could use only the .gpr
files.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

@ 2006-06-29 17:10                   ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-29 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:

> I suppose we have different package contents.  I have find-file.elc.
> Perhaps it's not enough?

Also as an answer to your other post: It has been a long time since I
last packaged emacsens myself, so I probably don't know any more where
things are supposed to be.

Usually if I want to add packages to emacs I don't delete/rename stuff
in /usr/hare/emacs and elsewhere, but I have a directory
$HOME/share/emacs where I keep additional emacs lisp packages which
don't come with my distro or of which I want to have a later / better
/ patched version.

With

     (load-file (concat (getenv "HOME") "/share/emacs/foo.el"))

which I put into .emacs I could get emacs to load single files.

With stuff like

   (setq user-home (getenv "HOME"))
   (setq load-path (cons (concat user-home "/share/emacs") load-path))

I can point emacs to the my local lisp directory as a general location
where to look for lisp files.

   (require 'foo)

Loads feature foo, assuming that it be in a file named "foo.el". If
that is not the case, you can instead load a lisp-file with

   (load-library "bar")

This loads "bar.el" (or "bar.elc") from somwhere on load-path and can
also be done interactively wit "M-x ...".

So if you want to experiment with another ada-mode, I suggest you use
the appropriate package manager of your machine to remove the ada-mode
package that comes with the machine. Then put all required lisp files
(which are required might take some experimenting) into your local
lisp directory and go from there.

Hope that OT doesn't annoy too much people here. Perhaps its better
than some on topic topics :-(.

Regards -- Markus

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-29 21:01               ` Ludovic Brenta
       [not found]                 ` <1151663198.061674.171420@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-29 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

M E Leypold writes:
> "Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:
>
>> M E Leypold wrote :
>> >
>> > I use the one coming with Debian. Whichever version that is.
>>
>> Both versions are available; one bundled with emacs, and the more
>> advanced one in the "ada-mode" package.
>>
>> Personally I use a modified ada-mode that does not use .adp files at
>> all, it uses the .gpr files directly.  There are limitations, but it
>> does mostly what I need. I'll make my changes availale somewhere on
>> request.
>
> I'd humbly request it. Why don't you make a debian package from it :-)
>
> Regards -- Markus

It's at http://www.ada-france.org/debian/adamode-4.0.tar.gz

The version number, 4.0, is my own invention.  I figured that a new
major version was justified by the dropping of .adp files, which
changes the external interface in an incompatible way.

Please, let's avoid a fork if possible.  Let's propose the changes
upstream, i.e. to the emacs development team at
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs.

I don't have time for that right now, and it is not my priority, so
please seomebody take the lead.

License is pure GPL :-)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

@ 2006-06-29 21:02                   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-29 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:

> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> apt-get install ada-mode
>>
>> The post-installation script takes care of the rest.
>
> It does if you run Debian- but I don't keep a Debian machine around any
> more.

Bad luck :-)

>> $ locate find-file.el
>> /usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/find-file.el
>>
>> That's in package emacs21-el.  If this package is not installed, you
>> have a problem with your system.
>
> I suppose we have different package contents.  I have find-file.elc.
> Perhaps it's not enough?

That should be enough, it is a byte-compiled emacs lisp file produced
by compiling the .el file.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-29 22:02                 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2006-06-29 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

M E Leypold <development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de> writes:

> Anyway: Didn't I understand Ludovico as saying that the ada-mode
> coming with 21.x is more advanced anyway? You perhaps would want to
> stick with that version then.

I think that was me.

ada-mode.el in adamode-3.6 is "Ada Core Technologies's version:
$Revision: 1.160 $".

In this Carbon Emacs 22.0, it's "Ada Core Technologies's version:
Revision: 1.188".

@ 2006-06-30 10:54                   ` M E Leypold
From: M E Leypold @ 2006-06-30 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

randomm@mindless.com writes:

> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > It's at http://www.ada-france.org/debian/adamode-4.0.tar.gz
>
> > License is pure GPL :-)
> >
> > --
> > Ludovic Brenta.
>
> Thanks for the files.  But as I'm not a Lisper (had a look at a book in
> the '80s and still haven't gotten over the frightful shock!) I'm still
> at a loss as to how to get these bits working.  Maybe with the info
> from Markus posted a bit earlier I can unravel the mystery.  But if you

If I find the time (which I'm a bit out of just now) and actually try
Ludovic's ad-mode within the next weeks, I'll post a step by step
account. Just dont' wait for it.

Regards -- Markus

@ 2006-06-30 15:43                 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-06-30 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> M E Leypold writes:

>>> Both versions are available; one bundled with emacs, and the more
>>> advanced one in the "ada-mode" package.
>>>
>>> Personally I use a modified ada-mode that does not use .adp files at
>>> all, it uses the .gpr files directly.  There are limitations, but it
>>> does mostly what I need. I'll make my changes availale somewhere on
>>> request.
>>
>> I'd humbly request it. Why don't you make a debian package from it :-)
>>
>> Regards -- Markus
>
> It's at http://www.ada-france.org/debian/adamode-4.0.tar.gz
>
> The version number, 4.0, is my own invention.  I figured that a new
> major version was justified by the dropping of .adp files, which
> changes the external interface in an incompatible way.
>
> Please, let's avoid a fork if possible.  Let's propose the changes
> upstream, i.e. to the emacs development team at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs.
>
> I don't have time for that right now, and it is not my priority, so
> please seomebody take the lead.

That would be me, I think, since I've volunteered to be the Emacs Ada
mode maintainer.

I've thought about using .gpr directly before. Does your lisp code
handle 'with foo;'? that seemed like the hard part, especially if you
want to use the "project editor mode"; the lisp code has to keep track
of where each bit of the path came from.

As far as I'm concerned, we can ditch the fancy project editor, and
just edit project files directly.

Hmm. I've downloaded the code, and 'ada-prj.el' appears to still deal
with .adp files.

There is some mention of "gpr-mode" in ada-mode.el.

I don't have time right now to go thru all the diffs.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-30 15:46                     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2006-06-30 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

M E Leypold <development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de> writes:

> <snip discussion of emacs ada mode stuff>
>
> Hope that OT doesn't annoy too much people here. Perhaps its better
> than some on topic topics :-(.

There does not seem to be an emacs ada-mode specific list anywhere.
This seems like a better place than an emacs list, which is much
higher traffic.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-06-30 21:57                   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2006-06-30 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> writes:
> Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:
>> It's at http://www.ada-france.org/debian/adamode-4.0.tar.gz
>>
>> The version number, 4.0, is my own invention.  I figured that a new
>> major version was justified by the dropping of .adp files, which
>> changes the external interface in an incompatible way.
>>
>> Please, let's avoid a fork if possible.  Let's propose the changes
>> upstream, i.e. to the emacs development team at
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs.
>>
>> I don't have time for that right now, and it is not my priority, so
>> please seomebody take the lead.
>
> That would be me, I think, since I've volunteered to be the Emacs Ada
> mode maintainer.

Great.  You are anointed from now on :-)

> I've thought about using .gpr directly before. Does your lisp code
> handle 'with foo;'? that seemed like the hard part, especially if you
> want to use the "project editor mode"; the lisp code has to keep track
> of where each bit of the path came from.

No, unfortunately.  It only knows about the source directories that
are directly in the .gpr file, and there is even a bug that is
triggered when there are comments inside the parentheses in "for
Source_Dirs use (...)".  I haven't had time to fix it yet.

> As far as I'm concerned, we can ditch the fancy project editor, and
> just edit project files directly.

Yes, I did remove the project editor, as I write my .gpr files
manually.  I updated ada-mode to recognise "project" as a keyword :)

> Hmm. I've downloaded the code, and 'ada-prj.el' appears to still deal
> with .adp files.

What it does is read the .gpr file and fill in the same in-memory data
structures as the old .adp parser.

> There is some mention of "gpr-mode" in ada-mode.el.

Yes, that's the mode that recognises the "project" keyword.

> I don't have time right now to go thru all the diffs.

OK.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Meet the new GPS...same as the old GPS...
@ 2006-07-01  8:46                   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2006-07-01  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <Stephe.Leake@nasa.gov> writes:

> As far as I'm concerned, we can ditch the fancy project editor, and
> just edit project files directly.

Agreed.