From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Ada 2012 Corrigendum
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 19:32:11 -0500
Date: 2014-10-03T19:32:11-05:00	[thread overview]

"Robert A Duff" <bobduff@shell01.TheWorld.com> wrote in message
news:wcciokszmfo.fsf@shell01.TheWorld.com...
> Shark8 <OneWingedShark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Issue 2: Static (and compile-time) Functions
> In fact, I think that idea was discussed when expression functions were
> invented -- you might find it useful to read the AI that introduced
> expression functions.

Moreover, it also was reraised last year, and we have AI12-0075-1 for the
issue. That's currently not planned for the Corrigendum, but one of the
topics at this month's meeting is to revisit all of the future ideas and see
if there are any that could and should be handled now. I'd not expect this
one to be promoted, because the exact rules were never defined, just a lot
of cases that need to be handled. (I think we'd only promote "shovel-ready"
ideas, as the Corrigendum needs to be finished early next year; we're not
going to have time to do a lot of discussion and revision on ideas.)

> There must be some restrictions on what can go in these functions
> (e.g. calls to other impure functions?).

Right. That's the hard part. The AI mentions things like the subtypes of the
formal parameters and whether unused parameters participate in the
correctness check. A good idea in the abstract, but the devil is in the
details as always.

                                  Randy.