* Trying to run ls, pwd, rm, etc. in linux without specifying the exact path
@ 2016-03-09 17:05 John Smith
From: John Smith @ 2016-03-09 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I found this little example and expanded on it:
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Execute_a_system_command#Ada

I used the example where GNAT.OS_Lib is used.  Everything works like I want it to, almost.  If I want to call a Linux command, I have to specify the exact path to it /bin/ls.  How can I import the various Linux environment variables so tha I can just call 'ls' without specifying the direct path to the binary?

* Re: Trying to run ls, pwd, rm, etc. in linux without specifying the exact path
@ 2016-03-09 17:55 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2016-03-09 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Smith <yoursurrogategod@gmail.com> writes:

> I found this little example and expanded on it:
> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Execute_a_system_command#Ada
>
> I used the example where GNAT.OS_Lib is used.  Everything works like I
> want it to, almost.  If I want to call a Linux command, I have to
> specify the exact path to it /bin/ls.  How can I import the various
> Linux environment variables so tha I can just call 'ls' without
> specifying the direct path to the binary?

I think Locate_Exec_On_Path ("ls") should do the trick.

   --  Try to locate an executable whose name is given by Exec_Name in the
   --  directories listed in the environment Path. If the Exec_Name does not
   --  have the executable suffix, it will be appended before the search.
   --  Otherwise works like Locate_Regular_File below. If the executable is
   --  not found, null is returned.
   --
   --  Note that this function allocates memory for the returned value. This
   --  memory needs to be deallocated after use.