From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: project file syntax
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 22:25:52 +0100
Date: 2014-08-01T22:25:52+01:00	[thread overview]

agent@drrob1.com writes:

> As an exercise for myself, I'm converting an rpn calculator I wrote in
> modula-2 to Ada.  I have already debugged several modules, such as
> tknrtnsa, timliba and environa.  Now I want to debug 2 modules,
> hpcalca and rpna.  I call this project file rpna.gpr
[...]
> I get errors that the modules I previously wrote cannot be found. That
> is, tknrtnsa, timliba and environa cannot be found.  If I have these
> re-compiled by putting them in the Source_Files list, that works.  But
> it strikes me as I am not understanding something about project files.
>
> How do I write a project file to not have to recompile packages that I
> know already work, and for which I have the .ali and .o files?

Recompilation is pretty cheap, especially with a small number of files
like these. I'd probably put all the source in the same project!

That said, you can put tknrtnsa etc. in their own project and "with" it
in your main project. I wrote a more complete answer to a similar
question at http://stackoverflow.com/a/12587981 .