From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Yet another gnat bug
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 20:37:16 +0000
Date: 2019-02-05T20:37:16+00:00	[thread overview]

George Shapovalov <gshapovalov@gmail.com> writes:

> On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 5:11:51 PM UTC+1, Simon Wright wrote:
>> > I chatted with them briefly 2 days ago on Fosdem and they told me that
>> > they prefer an email report and that tracker is not really functional
>> > for a community version at least.
>>
>> Do you mean the GCC Bugzilla? I can quite understand why reports
>> against just GNAT CE wouldn't really be appropriate there.
> No, I meant the tracker mentioned on the bug message:
>>GAP members can alternatively use GNAT Tracker:                          |
>>| http://www.adacore.com/ section 'send a report'.
>
> From his reaction I took it that that tracker is not that
> active. Althopugh it would not be so usefull for many people anyway,
> if it has usage limitations..

If you have a contract with AdaCore then Tracker is the point of
contact; and the response when I worked for a comapny with a contract
was terrific.

If not, your only direct contact is report@adacore.com (with GNAT in the
subject line).

>> AdaCore do respond to reports on FSF GCC there, especially if the report
>> is about the GCC build system or about bad code generation.
> Oh, they do? Thanks for the info!
> That's not something I directly thought about, as the problem is with
> the upstream (of FSF), so it makes sense to take it directly to
> upstream (the most common reaction of many projects and distibutions
> is to first try to figure out if its them or upstream, and if its
> upstream, then its universally - "report it to upstream". Which is
> totally logical, in avoiding messy duplication of effort. In fact it
> is often not something they would even have control over).  So, I just
> took it directly to upstream, strictly following the procedure
> described in the bug message :).

The AdaCore people working on FSF GCC are the same people working on the
'upstream' product, which is why I've never thought of it like that; but
I see your point.

And, I've occasionally added 'same problem with GNAT CE' to Bugzilla
reports where I thought it might stimulate interest.

>> Personally I like to report on Bugzilla where appropriate, because
>> reports to report@adacore.com aren't publicly visible. I don't know how
>> annoying it'd be to report in both places.
> Yes, that's indeed a concern. This is why I created that github
> project, as I had a few bugs lying around already. I'll populate it
> with more when I get around to it.
> But to the credit of AdaCore, they react quickly - I already got a
> confirmation that they got it and will look into it..

It helps if they know you!