* Question about Rasberry Pi & Kinect [slightly off-topic]
@ 2012-11-17  4:46 Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2012-11-17  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not really an expert on HW, so I was wondering does it [the Pi] have the power to process the Kinect depth data?

This thread seems to indicate that it can run the EE9 emulator:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/comp.lang.ada/Raspberry$20Pi/comp.lang.ada/kvbWqRhv96M/lKdIqVsXD6MJ

Second, I remember there being talk of Ada on/for the Pi, is that project still active?

* Re: Question about Rasberry Pi & Kinect [slightly off-topic]
@ 2012-11-17  9:58 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2012-11-17  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com> writes:

> Second, I remember there being talk of Ada on/for the Pi, is that
> project still active?

No need, the recommnded OS is Raspbian, which is based on Debian.

I've been puttering on a project to access the MCP23017 I/O multiplexer
chip via the I2C bus on the Raspi: http://raspi-i2c-ada.sourceforge.net/

* Re: Question about Rasberry Pi & Kinect [slightly off-topic]
@ 2012-11-17 14:36 ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2012-11-17 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17/11/2012 04:46, in article
118e0046-2b42-45d9-8dcc-4e84c92fb17c@googlegroups.com, "Shark8"
<onewingedshark@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not really an expert on HW, so I was wondering does it [the Pi] have the
> power to process the Kinect depth data?
>
> This thread seems to indicate that it can run the EE9 emulator:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/comp.lang.ada/Raspberry
> $20Pi/comp.lang.ada/kvbWqRhv96M/lKdIqVsXD6MJ
>
> Second, I remember there being talk of Ada on/for the Pi, is that project
> still active?

GNAT is included in the Raspbian OS for the Raspberry Pi.

ee9 was compiled on, and runs on, the Raspberry Pi.

When running ee9, the 32-bit, 700 MHz Raspberry Pi is 60-70 times
slower than my 64-bit, 2.3 GHz Core i7 Macbook Pro.

That still makes the emulation 4 to 5 times faster than the historic
KDF9 hardware.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: Question about Rasberry Pi & Kinect [slightly off-topic]
@ 2012-11-20 14:17   ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2012-11-20 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, 17 November 2012 09:58:49 UTC, Simon Wright  wrote:

> I've been puttering on a project to access the MCP23017 I/O multiplexer
>
> chip via the I2C bus on the Raspi: http://raspi-i2c-ada.sourceforge.net/

Will you be doing a writeup for MagPi about this? If not, you should.

Luke.