From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: for X'Address use - and Volatile
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 06:41:07 +0100
Date: 2016-09-01T06:41:07+01:00	[thread overview]

Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com> writes:

>> Indeed, address clauses ought to be avoided for all but their
>> intended purpose (mapping to hardware registers);
>
> I'd disagree here. Mapping to hardware registers (or mapping to memory
> regions in general) should be performed at the linker and loader
> level, which have much better tools for handling such tasks

And I'd disagree with that. By the time you have

* many registers to be described to the bit level
* many peripherals in your SOC
* more than a couple of teams involved
* a need to handle interrupts at the Ada level (i.e. with POs)

a linker script is *not* the best place to specify addresses. Especially
if you can call in a tool like AdaCore's svd2ada -
https://github.com/AdaCore/svd2ada