From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Ada and Xcode
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 08:50:55 +0100
Date: 2013-10-13T08:50:55+01:00	[thread overview]

csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:

>      I'm coming to this question pretty late and I apologize for that.
> Does the Macada distribution of GNAT work with Xcode? The rather skimpy
> documentation mentions plugins for Xcode but doesn't clearly say that
> the installation process plugs them in nor what I should do to plug them
> in. I haven't found a mention of plugins in the Xcode documentation.
>
>      The brutal truth is that my Hello World program doesn't work. I
> somehow got it to compile once but that version doesn't execute
> properly. Now I've lost the abilty to compile; Xcode doesn't know what
> to do with .adb files.
>
>      I'm running on a PowerPC Mac with OS X 10.4.11.
>
>      I've got over 15 years of c.l.a posts but haven't been able to find
> answers there.

The consensus (see eg [1]) is that there isn't a usable Xcode plugin for
Ada. It does depend rather on your version of Xcode; the version at [2]
only 'works' with Xcode 3.0.

I don't see a ppc version of GNAT at libre.adacore.com, but there's a
GNAT GPL 2009 at Sourceforge[3].

If I was using that, I'd use Emacs[4] with ada-mode; not sure whether
this will run with Tiger, but it is a universal binary.

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ada.macosx/1156
[2] http://maxao.free.fr/xcode-ada-plugin/
[3]
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/GNAT_GPL%20Mac%20OS%20X/