* Difference between gprbuild and gnatmake
@ 2017-07-12 18:50 Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2017-07-12 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

From another thread:

> You should probably be using gprbuild, not gnatmake.

What is the difference? Is gprbuild a newer version of gnatmake? What are
their differences?

--
Victor Porton - http://portonvictor.org

* Re: Difference between gprbuild and gnatmake
@ 2017-07-13  6:03 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2017-07-13  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> writes:

> From another thread:
>
>> You should probably be using gprbuild, not gnatmake.
>
> What is the difference? Is gprbuild a newer version of gnatmake? What are
> their differences?

gnatmake is part of the compiler suite (it's used in the compiler
build). gprbuild is not part of the compiler; it used only to be
generally available in source form as part of GNAT GPL releases, but
nowadays it's on github[1].

From there, "GPRbuild is an advanced build system designed to help
automate the construction of multi-language systems."; it understands
multiple languages (C, C++, Fortran at least - I haven't tried Fortran).

GCC 6 said

   warning: gnatmake -P is obsolete and will not be available in the
   next release; use gprbuild instead

but in fact GCC 8.0.0's gnatmake will accept project files (to some
extent, anyway, on a simple test).

[1] https://github.com/AdaCore/gprbuild

* Re: Difference between gprbuild and gnatmake
@ 2017-07-13  8:39   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2017-07-13  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 1:03:52 AM UTC-5, Simon Wright wrote:
> Victor Porton writes:
>
> > From another thread:
> >
> >> You should probably be using gprbuild, not gnatmake.
> >
> > What is the difference? Is gprbuild a newer version of gnatmake? What are
> > their differences?
>
> gnatmake is part of the compiler suite (it's used in the compiler
> build). gprbuild is not part of the compiler; it used only to be
> generally available in source form as part of GNAT GPL releases, but
> nowadays it's on github[1].

This is misleading. gprbuild is in the GNAT GPL and supported releases; since 2014 it's bundled with the compiler.

One feature of gprbuild is that it is multi-language; by default it knows how to build C, C++, and Ada programs, and you can teach it about compilers for other languages.

* Re: Difference between gprbuild and gnatmake
@ 2017-07-13 14:12     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2017-07-13 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> writes:

> On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 1:03:52 AM UTC-5, Simon Wright wrote:

>> gnatmake is part of the compiler suite (it's used in the compiler
>> build). gprbuild is not part of the compiler; it used only to be
>> generally available in source form as part of GNAT GPL releases, but
>> nowadays it's on github[1].
>
> This is misleading. gprbuild is in the GNAT GPL and supported
> releases; since 2014 it's bundled with the compiler.

Agree that binary releases from AdaCore contain a matching gprbuild. But
other binary releases didn't; for example, Debian and my Mac releases
had to use the latest source from GNAT GPL.

If you build the compiler from sources there will be a gnatmake; but
there will not be a gprbuild, because gprbuild is not part of the
compiler itself.

* Re: Difference between gprbuild and gnatmake
@ 2017-07-13 15:01   ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2017-07-13 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright wrote:

> Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> writes:
>
>> From another thread:
>>
>>> You should probably be using gprbuild, not gnatmake.
>>
>> What is the difference? Is gprbuild a newer version of gnatmake? What are
>> their differences?
>
> gnatmake is part of the compiler suite (it's used in the compiler
> build). gprbuild is not part of the compiler; it used only to be
> generally available in source form as part of GNAT GPL releases, but
> nowadays it's on github[1].
>
> From there, "GPRbuild is an advanced build system designed to help
> automate the construction of multi-language systems."; it understands
> multiple languages (C, C++, Fortran at least - I haven't tried Fortran).
>
> GCC 6 said
>
>    warning: gnatmake -P is obsolete and will not be available in the
>    next release; use gprbuild instead
>
> but in fact GCC 8.0.0's gnatmake will accept project files (to some
> extent, anyway, on a simple test).

"Will"?

gnatmake of my GCC 7.1.0 (not 8.0.0) does accept project files:

gnatmake -p -c -Plibrdf.gpr -XLIBRARY_KIND=static -XOBJ_DIR=./obj-static -
Xsoversion=librdf-ada.so.2.0.15 -XMODE=Install -XDEBUG_MODE=check

@ 2017-07-13 16:17     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2017-07-13 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton <porton@narod.ru> writes:

> Simon Wright wrote:

>> but in fact GCC 8.0.0's gnatmake will accept project files (to some
>> extent, anyway, on a simple test).
>
> "Will"?

In the sense of "is prepared to", equivalent to "does", near enough

> gnatmake of my GCC 7.1.0 (not 8.0.0) does accept project files:
>
> gnatmake -p -c -Plibrdf.gpr -XLIBRARY_KIND=static -XOBJ_DIR=./obj-static -
> Xsoversion=librdf-ada.so.2.0.15 -XMODE=Install -XDEBUG_MODE=check

But that may be because gnatmake is in fact invoking gprbuild; if
compilation logs look like

compile
   [Ada]          foo.adb

then they are from gprbuild.