* Tell GPRBuild to trigger an error on unknown options in project file?
@ 2013-04-22 21:25 Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2013-04-22 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi people,

I don't like when something does not behave as expected without an error
message, or the same, get silently ignored.

As an example, I just wanted to pass a `--target=…` option to GPRBuild in
the Builder package of a project file, but it was silently ignored. I
later noticed the documentation indeed list this as part of the options
that may only be passed to GPRBuild's command line, and not in project
files [1].

Now I know, but I still feel it would be better to get a plain error
message (and compilation failure) when an option is passed via the Builder
package which GPRBuild does not handle.

[1]: http://docs.adacore.com/gprbuild-docs/html/gprbuild_ug.html#Switches

* Re: Tell GPRBuild to trigger an error on unknown options in project file?
@ 2013-04-23  7:37 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2013-04-23  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> writes:

> I don't like when something does not behave as expected without an
> error message, or the same, get silently ignored.

Good sentiment.

> As an example, I just wanted to pass a `--target=…` option to GPRBuild
> in the Builder package of a project file, but it was silently ignored.
> I later noticed the documentation indeed list this as part of the
> options that may only be passed to GPRBuild's command line, and not in
> project files [1].
>
> Now I know, but I still feel it would be better to get a plain error
> message (and compilation failure) when an option is passed via the
> Builder package which GPRBuild does not handle.

You are sending this message to the wrong place; report@gnat.com would
be much more likely to get a useful response.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Tell GPRBuild to trigger an error on unknown options in project file?
@ 2013-04-23  7:53   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2013-04-23  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:37:42 +0200, Stephen Leake
<stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> a écrit:
> You are sending this message to the wrong place; report@gnat.com would
> be much more likely to get a useful response.
But I'm not a client, just an FSF GNAT user.

* Re: Tell GPRBuild to trigger an error on unknown options in project file?
@ 2013-04-23 11:13     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2013-04-23 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Le Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:37:42 +0200, Stephen Leake
> <stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org> a écrit:
>> You are sending this message to the wrong place; report@gnat.com
>> would be much more likely to get a useful response.
> But I'm not a client, just an FSF GNAT user.

They do take note - I start the Subject: with (in this case) GPRBUILD:,
because they used to have a spam filter that required something like
that - but you don't always get a response.

It is possible to patch gprbuild, of course, but you have to work from
the GNAT GPL sources.