* The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14  4:37 David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-14  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot

http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg

Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.

Thoughts?

David Botton

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14  5:09 ` Niklas Holsti
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2014-11-14  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-11-14 05:37 , David Botton wrote:

> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>
> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>
> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>
> Thoughts?

Not engineered, but evolved.

I don't like it: an aggressive, stealthy, fly-by-night predator of
small, furry mammals. The image looks aggressive, scary.

But I don't have any money in the pot, and I don't really understand the
purpose of an "Ada mascot", so perhaps I should shut up.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14  5:15 ` Hubert
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Hubert @ 2014-11-14  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/13/2014 20:37 PM, David Botton wrote:

> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>
> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>
> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> David Botton

To me Ada is associated with the original DoD project and due to it's
more Pascal like syntax a bit with nostalgia. My idea therefore is more
something like a 1950's rocket image like the following (without the
Oldsmobile that is)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-OLDSMOBILE-OLDS-ROCKET-8-CYLINDER-HOOD-ORNAMENT-EMBLEM-RARE-PART-658860-2-/111495002246?nma=true&si=7HMsthk4VEftUVyQBxXPjyNAumQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://faculty.etsu.edu/gardnerr/sputnik/movies.htm

http://www.plan59.com/images/JPGs/arma59mars.jpg

http://www.vintag.es/2012/10/1950-oldsmobile-rocket-88-adverts.html

---

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14  5:31   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-14  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Not engineered, but evolved.

Well we can leave that for the theology discussion board :)

> I don't like it: an aggressive, stealthy, fly-by-night predator of
> small, furry mammals. The image looks aggressive, scary.

Something that would eat a Go gopher, swallow a Java Duke, yes that is the idea :)

> But I don't have any money in the pot,

Money is not the purpose of life, the meaning of life, or the reason for life.

Nor is it a part of making a difference in the lives of others and being part of a community of people with ideas of how to make things better.

God provides. (That too though would be part of the theology board discussion ;)

> and I don't really understand the
> purpose of an "Ada mascot",

Marketing. Advertising. PR. Change. Advocacy. New Markets. New Image.

> so perhaps I should shut up.

Then we would lose what you have to offer your unique perspective that may see what none of us have. Individuals and their differences and non-conformity to the group think are what bring innovation, change and creative solutions.

So at least for me speaking for myself (the only person I ever chose to speak for), I would never want you to shut up.

David Botton

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14  5:40     ` David Botton
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-14  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Nor is it a part of making a difference in the lives of other

Before someone jumps on that, ok it can be a part of the difference in the sense that money could be the means that some one uses to help another.

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14  6:04 ` Jeffrey Carter
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2014-11-14  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/13/2014 09:37 PM, David Botton wrote:

> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot

I don't associate an owl with Ada.

--
Jeff Carter
"What's the amount of the insult?"

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14  8:55     ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2014-11-14  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 21:31:37 -0800 (PST)
David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:

> Money is not the purpose of life, the meaning of life, or the reason
> for life.
>
> Nor is it a part of making a difference in the lives of others and
> being part of a community of people with ideas of how to make things
> better.
>
> God provides. (That too though would be part of the theology board
> discussion ;)

Nice words...so I'd like to provide my non-graphic $.02.

To me, the word 'Ada' strongly resembles the word 'Adi' which implies
words like: first, origin, beginning...which are, imho, quite befitting
the language, so the mascot should evoke such feelings.

Whether the owl is such a beast, I can't say, but the Wikipedia page
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owl#Symbolism_and_mythology) gives some
interesting ideas in regard.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As the ignorant perform their duties with attachment to results,
the learned may similarly act, but without attachment, for the

* What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-14  9:35   ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2014-11-14  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter wrote:

> I don't associate an owl with Ada.

Do you associate a penguin with Linux?

My impression from Linux/Tux marketing:

I don't think the animal needs to have any real association with the
programming language.  A nice story is okay, but what seems to matter is
to have a recognisable, cute, furry animal which Ada programmers can
exhibit in their offices, give as a toy to their kids, etc.

This also means that any random photo of an animal doesn't quite do it.
It should be sketched in a unique, distinctive way - preferable one
which can be turned in to a soft, furry 3D toy.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

* What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-14 10:24     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-14 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

The picture is not an entry. It is part of a story. Why I like the owl for Ada. What would you use?

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-14 10:51       ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2014-11-14 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:

> The picture is not an entry. It is part of a story. Why I like the owl
> for Ada. What would you use?

I think an owl is an option.  It lives up to the criteria I derived from
Linux/Tux.  And it is not impossible to draw an owl in a spacesuit. ;-)

Greetings,

Jacob
--
The problem with a UDP joke is that you have no idea if
people got it.

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-14 10:54         ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-14 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think an owl is an option.  It lives up to the criteria I derived from
> Linux/Tux.  And it is not impossible to draw an owl in a spacesuit. ;-)

Now that is an idea!

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-14 10:56         ` Orca
From: Orca @ 2014-11-14 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-14, Jacob Sparre Andersen <jacob@jacob-sparre.dk> wrote:
> David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:
>
>> The picture is not an entry. It is part of a story. Why I like the owl
>> for Ada. What would you use?
>
> I think an owl is an option.  It lives up to the criteria I derived from
> Linux/Tux.  And it is not impossible to draw an owl in a spacesuit. ;-)

What about a dolphin? Most people like dolphins. They're sleek and fast and
very intelligent. All things people like about Ada :-)

Linux's mascot is actually a wild-eyed drunken bum lying in the gutter. But
that was much harder to make a good graphic than a penguin so they left
Stallman's picture aside and just used the penguin ;-)

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-14 12:24           ` David Botton
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-14 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What about a dolphin? Most people like dolphins. They're sleek and fast and
> very intelligent. All things people like about Ada :-)

Or perhaps Killer Whale :)

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-14 14:14             ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2014-11-14 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14.11.14 13:24, David Botton wrote:
>> What about a dolphin? Most people like dolphins. They're sleek and fast and
>> very intelligent. All things people like about Ada :-)
>
> Or perhaps Killer Whale :)

Maybe many, since tasks mean plural?

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14 15:00   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-11-14 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> wrote:
> On 11/13/2014 09:37 PM, David Botton wrote:
>>
>> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>
> I don't associate an owl with Ada.

A puddy tat?

From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-11-14 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hubert <herrdoktor@fumanchu.com> wrote:
> On 11/13/2014 20:37 PM, David Botton wrote:
>>
>> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>>
>> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>>
>> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> David Botton
>>

> To me Ada is associated with the original DoD project and due to it's
> more Pascal like syntax a bit with nostalgia. My idea therefore is more
> something like a 1950's rocket image like the following (without the Oldsmobile that is)

The whole point of this mascot thing is to try to get people thinking about
applications and not the past with missiles, rockets, etc.

IMO it should be a cartoony cutesy style, I've already said to pass this
onto dave heald.

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14 15:26     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-14 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> IMO it should be a cartoony cutesy style, I've already said to pass this
> onto dave heald.

Can you pass it on to him? Prize is already up to $500 :)

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14 15:49     ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2014-11-14 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 14/11/2014 16:00, Luke A. Guest a écrit :
> Jeffrey Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> wrote:
>> On 11/13/2014 09:37 PM, David Botton wrote:
>>>
>>> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>>
>> I don't associate an owl with Ada.
>

> A puddy tat?

An octopus? Can be a funny character, and great for evoking multi-tasking.

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-14 16:08     ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-11-14 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jacob Sparre Andersen <jacob@jacob-sparre.dk> wrote:
> Jeffrey Carter wrote:
>
>> I don't associate an owl with Ada.
>
> Do you associate a penguin with Linux?

Or a devil with BSD, I quite like the little devil.

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-14 16:08           ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-11-14 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Orca <seal@whales.org> wrote:
> On 2014-11-14, Jacob Sparre Andersen <jacob@jacob-sparre.dk> wrote:
>> David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:
>>
>>> The picture is not an entry. It is part of a story. Why I like the owl
>>> for Ada. What would you use?
>>
>> I think an owl is an option.  It lives up to the criteria I derived from
>> Linux/Tux.  And it is not impossible to draw an owl in a spacesuit. ;-)
>
> What about a dolphin? Most people like dolphins. They're sleek and fast and
> very intelligent. All things people like about Ada :-)

Vicious too

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-14 16:10       ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-11-14 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luke A. Guest <laguest@archeia.com> wrote:
> Jacob Sparre Andersen <jacob@jacob-sparre.dk> wrote:
>> Jeffrey Carter wrote:
>>
>>> I don't associate an owl with Ada.
>>
>> Do you associate a penguin with Linux?
>
> Or a devil with BSD, I quite like the little devil.

Also, cocos has the (evil) coconut images by Dave Heald.

From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-11-14 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:
>> IMO it should be a cartoony cutesy style, I've already said to pass this
>> onto dave heald.
>
> Can you pass it on to him? Prize is already up to $500 :)

I'll mail him.

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-14 16:46 ` Jonathan
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan @ 2014-11-14 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 14, 2014 4:37:17 AM UTC, David Botton wrote:
> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>
> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>
> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> David Botton

Can we use the word 'emblem' rather than 'mascot'? Mascot I think is too narrow. I'd very much prefer flowers or Goddesses as the emblem. Especially Goddesses. I was googling owls and I noticed 1) they are overused and 2) it's their association with Athena that gives them their association with wisdom.

From wikipedia: Athena was the goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, strategic warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill.

Well that sounds just about right.

I'd advocate Athena as the emblem.

Here's the likeness I'd use as model:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owl_of_Athena#mediaviewer/File:Athena_owl_Met_09.221.43.jpg

Keep the munitions, of course, and make the pet owl optional
(i.e. whenever space permits).

Ada is, after all, Athens to C's Sparta ;);)

J.

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14 17:15   ` Brad Moore
From: Brad Moore @ 2014-11-14 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-13 11:04 PM, Jeffrey Carter wrote:
> On 11/13/2014 09:37 PM, David Botton wrote:
>>
>> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>
> I don't associate an owl with Ada.

Perhaps an Aardvark would be a better choice. If you remove enough
letters, you end up with Ada.
An Aardvark is both an unusual creature, and somewhat endearing.
Plus they eat bugs, which is a good quality for the mascot.

Also "Ada the Aardvark" flows nicely off the tongue. I wouldn't be
surprised if Ada is a name that people commonly give to their Aardvarks. :-)

It also helps that in the world of mascots, an Aardvark mascot likely is
the one at the top of the list, if the list is sorted.

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-14 17:52           ` jm.tarrasa
From: jm.tarrasa @ 2014-11-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

El viernes, 14 de noviembre de 2014 11:56:16 UTC+1, Orca  escribió:
> What about a dolphin? Most people like dolphins.

http://www.mysql.com

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-14 18:40             ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2014-11-14 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-14 18:52, jm.tarrasa@gmail.com wrote:
> El viernes, 14 de noviembre de 2014 11:56:16 UTC+1, Orca  escribió:
>> What about a dolphin? Most people like dolphins.
>
> http://www.mysql.com

But not those who likes mammuts...

<http://tapoueh.org/images/postgresql_versus_mysql.jpg>

Perhaps i similar picture with Ada contra c ?

Björn

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-14 18:53     ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2014-11-14 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/14/2014 02:35 AM, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

> Do you associate a penguin with Linux?

I do, since the establishment of a penguin as the symbol for Linux predates my
involvement with it.

About the only things associated with Ada (the language) when I got involved
with it 30 yrs ago were Ada (the woman), Ichbiah, and green. So perhaps a green
blob with the heads of Ada and Ichbiah?

Associated with Ada (the woman) are the poet Byron, mathematics, Babbage, and
the analytical engine, further expanding the things that could be incorporated.

If a mascot or emblem had been associated with Ada at the Ada Launch (1980 Dec
10) it could have been anything, but trying to attach an arbitrary image to the
language 34 yrs later is unlikely to take.

--
Jeff Carter
"I've got to stay here, but there's no reason

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-14 19:13       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-14 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> it could have been anything, but trying to attach an arbitrary image to the
> language 34 yrs later is unlikely to take.

You would be surprised. I've got a ton of marketing and advocacy ideas waiting to happen and each will make use of the maskot.

Hopefully public projects (I've got a few in the works of my own already beyond Gnoga) will use it as well. I am sure the donors and others sympathetic to the project will incorporate into their sites and projects.

I know that there will be certain entities that are unlikely to use the mascot (or any other ideas) the community produces. However I and others may be willing to put some dollars to plushies and other things to give out at some events like FOSDEM. (obviously this one is too close)

I put in the request on the FOSDEM mail list to announce the mascot contest. I hope they will.

@ 2014-11-14 19:22   ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2014-11-14 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 23:04:20 -0700, Jeffrey Carter
<spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> declaimed the following:

>On 11/13/2014 09:37 PM, David Botton wrote:
>>
>> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>
>I don't associate an owl with Ada.

	Not here, either...

	Athena, OTOH...  But that puts us back into the world of rockets...

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14 19:40     ` Brad Moore
From: Brad Moore @ 2014-11-14 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-14 10:15 AM, Brad Moore wrote:
> I wouldn't be
> surprised if Ada is a name that people commonly give to their Aardvarks.

Apparently there is some truth to this.

    http://www.africananimalworld.com/abc-book.html

Not to mention page 136 of John Barne's book, Ada 2012, where he uses an
Aardvark in his example.

It is also interesting that Aardvark habitat in the wild apparently
includes an area that includes the village "Ada" in Northern Ghana.

http://gh.worldmapz.com/2295.htm

Though I know there is at least one Aardvark with a different name.
Apparently there is one called Ethel, who liked to go Quantity Surveying.

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-14 20:20         ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2014-11-14 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/14/2014 12:13 PM, David Botton wrote:

> You would be surprised. I've got a ton of marketing and advocacy ideas
> waiting to happen and each will make use of the maskot.

It wouldn't be the 1st time.

If we want to get away from missiles and the like to something warm and fuzzy,
how about a green Teddy bear with a feminine face?

--

@ 2014-11-14 21:41           ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-11-14 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> wrote:
> It wouldn't be the 1st time.
>
> If we want to get away from missiles and the like to something warm and fuzzy,
> how about a green Teddy bear with a feminine face?

Awww? Like Ted, all sweary n stuff? I like it ;)

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-14 22:24 ` rriehle
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: rriehle @ 2014-11-14 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:37:17 PM UTC-8, David Botton wrote:
> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>
> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>
> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> David Botton

Perhaps someone needs to run this by Geoffrey Mendal, a former Ada expert now engaged in other software exploits outside the Ada community.   Geoff has always included some reference to his pet Owl (not a live Owl), and has a collection of Owls from which we could choose a suitable image.

One needs to ask, however, why we need an Owl when we already have Ada herself.

Richard Riehle, PhD, International Technological University, San Jose, CA

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-14 22:57       ` Qun-Ying
From: Qun-Ying @ 2014-11-14 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

These looks quite cute

http://www.clipartof.com/gallery/clipart/aardvark.html

@ 2014-11-14 23:57         ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2014-11-14 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:57:43 -0800, Qun-Ying <zhu.qunying@gmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>These looks quite cute
>
>http://www.clipartof.com/gallery/clipart/aardvark.html

	Not to be confused with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebus_the_Aardvark

	Personally, I find aardwolves cuter...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aardwolf

	Sort of a taller, skinny-legged relative of the hyena, with a sensitive
stomach (hyenas eat anything, aardwolves eat ants and termites)

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-15  0:01           ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2014-11-15  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 13:20:19 -0700, Jeffrey Carter
<spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> declaimed the following:

>On 11/14/2014 12:13 PM, David Botton wrote:
>>
>> You would be surprised. I've got a ton of marketing and advocacy ideas
>> waiting to happen and each will make use of the maskot.
>
>It wouldn't be the 1st time.
>
>If we want to get away from missiles and the like to something warm and fuzzy,
>how about a green Teddy bear with a feminine face?

	Ah... Grafting the Lady's face onto a teddy bear inspired by a friend
of her father's (Mary Shelley's Frankenstein)

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-15  8:43           ` Mart van de Wege
From: Mart van de Wege @ 2014-11-15  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Orca <seal@whales.org> writes:

> On 2014-11-14, Jacob Sparre Andersen <jacob@jacob-sparre.dk> wrote:
>> David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:
>>
>>> The picture is not an entry. It is part of a story. Why I like the owl
>>> for Ada. What would you use?
>>
>> I think an owl is an option.  It lives up to the criteria I derived from
>> Linux/Tux.  And it is not impossible to draw an owl in a spacesuit. ;-)
>
> What about a dolphin? Most people like dolphins. They're sleek and fast and
> very intelligent. All things people like about Ada :-)

Already taken by MySQL, I'm afraid. And that's the kind of association I
think Ada would want to stay away from.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-15  9:22 ` vincent.diemunsch
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: vincent.diemunsch @ 2014-11-15  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 14, 2014 5:37:17 AM UTC+1, David Botton wrote:
> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>
> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>
> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> David Botton

Hello David, hello all Ada enthousiasts,

For an Ada mascot, I like the idea of a bird, for the same kind of reasons you gave. But as others said, the owl sounds quite a nasty and disturbing bird, even if the ancient greeks took them for
a symbol of wisdom : "their eyes are directed forward like those of human beings" and "Most of them utter a hooting cry like a groan, and as they inhabit ruins, they sound as though mourning over the devastation, and hence symbolize in the Bible destruction and desolation"...

Therefore, even if the owl is tempting, a mascot related to "Destruction and Desolation" is not possible for Ada which is already associated with DoD and fighter...

I don't really like the Aardvark, sort of pig which lives from bugs. Sounds geek, clumsy, harmless but dirty... Definitely Not Ada (or maybe for Ada 95 perhaps.... :-) ).

My proposal : a small, nice, gentle, little bird called ... Ada in French !!!

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_(oiseau)

It is light, swift, nice, harmless, precise, poetic.

Light : because Ada, as Ichbiah said, must stay a simple langage, with fast and inexpensive compilers, enabling cost effective developments.

Swift : because it must have good runtime performances.

Nice : necessary for a Mascot !

Harmless : not related to war.

Precise : it's a bird, not a pig.

Poetic : Ada was the daughter of Lord Byron, a poet. A small bird is a poetic character : it relates to freedom and art.

It is also GREEN (in the sense of environment friendly) for it is a real bird !

And finally the image of a bird for a programming langage is  fashionable : Apple has taken a bird for the logo of it's new langage : Swift : https://developer.apple.com/swift/

Now I let someone gifted in drawing, create a logo and submit it for the contest

Kind regards,

Vincent

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-15  9:36   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2014-11-15  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 01:22:54 -0800 (PST)
vincent.diemunsch@gmail.com wrote:

> My proposal : a small, nice, gentle, little bird called ... Ada in
> French !!!
>
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_(oiseau)

Nice one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectacled_tyrant

Sincerely,
Gour

--
From wherever the mind wanders due to its flickering and unsteady
nature, one must certainly withdraw it and bring it back under

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-15  9:36   ` vincent.diemunsch
From: vincent.diemunsch @ 2014-11-15  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

To adda to my previous message on an Ada Mascot idea, here is a view of the "Ada à bec bleu" or Blue-billed Black Tyrant in English, an american bird :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-billed_black_tyrant#mediaviewer/File:Knipolegus_cyanirostris_-Reserva_Guainumbi,_Sao_Luis_do_Paraitinga,_Sao_Paulo,_Brasil-8.jpg

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-15 12:09       ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2014-11-15 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:53:45 -0700, Jeffrey Carter wrote:

> On 11/14/2014 02:35 AM, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

 green blob with the heads of Ada and Ichbiah?

> Associated with Ada (the woman) are the poet Byron, mathematics,
> Babbage, and the analytical engine, further expanding the things that
> could be incorporated.

oooh, perhaps we need to invite Sydney Padua into the competition!

http://sydneypadua.com/

- Brian

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-15 13:49   ` Mart van de Wege
From: Mart van de Wege @ 2014-11-15 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathan <johnscpg@googlemail.com> writes:

> On Friday, November 14, 2014 4:37:17 AM UTC, David Botton wrote:
>> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>>
>> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>>
>> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> David Botton
>
> Can we use the word 'emblem' rather than 'mascot'? Mascot I think is
> too narrow. I'd very much prefer flowers or Goddesses as the
> emblem. Especially Goddesses. I was googling owls and I noticed 1)
> they are overused and 2) it's their association with Athena that gives
> them their association with wisdom.
>
> From wikipedia: Athena was the goddess of wisdom, courage,
> inspiration, civilization, law and justice, strategic warfare,
> mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill.
>
> Well that sounds just about right.
>
> I'd advocate Athena as the emblem.
>
> Here's the likeness I'd use as model:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owl_of_Athena#mediaviewer/File:Athena_owl_Met_09.221.43.jpg

Well, that's probably 'athene noctua' aka the Little Owl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_owl

Not a bad animal to use as base for a logo/emblem/mascot. A curious,
smart, good-looking bird. About the only thing not in character for Ada
is that the chicks tend to start out rather dumb, up to and including
falling out of the nest, behaviour so common that the parents have
evolved to continue taking care of the now ground-bound chick.

(this is where the Dutch expression 'Uilskuiken' (owl chick) for 'idiot'
comes from).

@ 2014-11-15 16:30             ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2014-11-15 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15-Nov-14 01:43, Mart van de Wege wrote:
> Orca <seal@whales.org> writes:
>
>> On 2014-11-14, Jacob Sparre Andersen <jacob@jacob-sparre.dk> wrote:
>> What about a dolphin? Most people like dolphins. They're sleek and fast and
>> very intelligent. All things people like about Ada :-)
>
> Already taken by MySQL, I'm afraid. And that's the kind of association I
> think Ada would want to stay away from.

I agree -- there's some really good arguments against using MySQL here:
http://grimoire.ca/mysql/choose-something-else

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-15 16:34     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2014-11-15 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15-Nov-14 06:49, Mart van de Wege wrote:
> Well, that's probably 'athene noctua' aka the Little Owl:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_owl
>
> Not a bad animal to use as base for a logo/emblem/mascot. A curious,
> smart, good-looking bird. About the only thing not in character for Ada
> is that the chicks tend to start out rather dumb, up to and including
> falling out of the nest, behaviour so common that the parents have
> evolved to continue taking care of the now ground-bound chick.

Well then, how about an owl that nests underground?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrowing_owl

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-15 17:19     ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2014-11-15 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-11-14 07:31 , David Botton wrote:
>> purpose of an "Ada mascot",
>
> Marketing. Advertising. PR. Change. Advocacy. New Markets. New Image.

For an Ada emblem, I suggest a twig of a wine, with some green wine
leaves and a bunch of grapes.

Connections to Ada:
- Green
- Produces good, enjoyable things (= grapes and wine)
- Long-lived, portable, international
- Originates from embedded systems (= roots)
- Cluster of grapes = parallel tasks
- Developed (= cultured and selected) with care and intelligence
- Strong quality control and verification
- The Beaujolais Connection
- Runs on sunlight, as many Ada programs do.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd

@ 2014-11-15 17:21     ` Niklas Holsti
From: Niklas Holsti @ 2014-11-15 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14-11-14 07:31 , David Botton wrote:
>> purpose of an "Ada mascot",
>
> Marketing. Advertising. PR. Change. Advocacy. New Markets. New Image.

For an Ada emblem, I suggest a twig of a wine, with some green wine
leaves and a bunch of grapes.

Connections to Ada:
- Green
- Produces good, enjoyable things (= grapes and wine)
- Long-lived, portable, international
- Originates from embedded systems (= roots)
- Cluster of grapes = parallel tasks
- Developed (= cultured and selected) with care and intelligence
- Strong quality control and verification
- The Beaujolais Connection
- Runs on sunlight, as many Ada programs do.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd
niklas holsti tidorum fi
      .      @       .

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-15 18:19 ` Jonathan
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan @ 2014-11-15 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Another idea for the artists: A single anonymous child. Like the French Marianne, but no story, name or explanation. And maybe with her pet owl:

http://i.imgur.com/qZA3mCR.jpg

I still like flowers.

J.

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-15 23:22         ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2014-11-15 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, 14 November 2014 16:10:53 UTC, Luke A. Guest  wrote:

> Also, cocos has the (evil) coconut images by Dave Heald.

Just sent an email to Dave Heald, looks like he's very busy as his "new project" email address has a delay of up to 4 weeks and his "say hi" has a delay of up to 6 weeks, so we'll see.

Luke.

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-16  0:41   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-16  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> One needs to ask, however, why we need an Owl when we already have Ada herself.

Owl is just one idea, and perhaps a more modern looking Ada will work. It is a contest. Let's see what people come up with and submit :)

David Botton

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-16  0:42           ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-16  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

how about a Steel Man :)

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-16  2:46   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-16  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My proposal : a small, nice, gentle, little bird called ... Ada in French !!!
>
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_(oiseau)

Hmmm, I like the idea. The Rush Tyrant - http://www.pinterest.com/pin/282741682827752439 even meets the cuddley cute idea many have for a mascot.

Even though the contest will hopefully get us a nice general mascot various plays on it for emblems, logos etc. are possible and the "Ada" (Tyrant) has a lot of variety.

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-16  2:49             ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-16  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, November 15, 2014 7:42:18 PM UTC-5, David Botton wrote:
> how about a Steel Man :)

http://www.promotionstudios.com/site/07/images/still_p_armscrossed01-copy.jpg

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-16 18:59               ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2014-11-16 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 3:49:43 AM UTC+1, David Botton wrote:

> http://www.promotionstudios.com/site/07/images/still_p_armscrossed01-copy.jpg

More breast than brain - what men love on women.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-16 19:07                 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-16 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > http://www.promotionstudios.com/site/07/images/still_p_armscrossed01-copy.jpg
>
> More breast than brain - what men love on women.
> Sorry, couldn't resist.

huh that image is male?

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-16 19:15                   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-11-16 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:

>> http://www.promotionstudios.com/site/07/images/still_p_armscrossed01-copy.jpg
>>
>> More breast than brain - what men love on women.
>> Sorry, couldn't resist.
>
> huh that image is male?

and repulsive

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-16 19:40                     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-16 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> and repulsive

ok, perhaps not the best mascot idea.. yet...

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-16 23:09 ` Bruce Hennessy
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Hennessy @ 2014-11-16 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:37:17 PM UTC-5, David Botton wrote:
> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>
> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>
> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> David Botton

OK I've got it! SQUIRREL! Squirrels are wonderful. They do annoy my wife and I as they take from the birds food we leave - however you cannot help but love their: resilience, persistence, learning, strength, flexibility, agility. Ada is a SQUIRREL!!!!!

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-16 23:52   ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-11-16 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce Hennessy <bruceg.hennessy@gmail.com> wrote:
?

>> David Botton
>
> OK I've got it! SQUIRREL! Squirrels are wonderful. They do annoy my wife
> and I as they take from the birds food we leave - however you cannot help
> but love their: resilience, persistence, learning, strength, flexibility,
> agility. Ada is a SQUIRREL!!!!!

Yeah! Or chipmunk (but thats also a physics lib)

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-17  1:07 ` Simon Clubley
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Clubley @ 2014-11-17  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-14, David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:

> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>
> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>
> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>
> Thoughts?

Whatever you choose needs to be something which can be scale invariant
from a size of a few cm up to around a metre or so without looking naff
or unrecognisable at either end of the scale.

Not only does it need to be cute as some others have said, it also needs
to invoke a sense of fun.

It also helps if you choose something which can easily be turned into a
stuffed toy. Google for something like "linux penguin stuffed toy"
(without the quotes) if you want to see why.

Simon.

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-17  1:19   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-17  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Not only does it need to be cute as some others have said, it also needs
> to invoke a sense of fun.

At first I was thinking something else, but I think I've come around to the plush toy idea being the key to a mascot as well.

@ 2014-11-17  9:24   ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2014-11-17  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Clubley wrote:

> Not only does it need to be cute as some others have said, it also
> needs to invoke a sense of fun.

Fit on a surf-board?

Greetings,

Jacob

PS: Does anybody still have a copy of the Ada 95 surfer poster?
--
"How may I be honest with you today?"

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-17 12:27   ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2014-11-17 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 01:07:42 +0000, Simon Clubley wrote:

> On 2014-11-14, David Botton <david@botton.com> wrote:
>>
>> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>>
>> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>>
>> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>>
>> Thoughts?

> It also helps if you choose something which can easily be turned into a
> stuffed toy. Google for something like "linux penguin stuffed toy"
> (without the quotes) if you want to see why.

Maybe a necessary but not a sufficient condition...

http://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/products/ebola.html

- Brian

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-17 13:13                   ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2014-11-17 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Sonntag, 16. November 2014 20:07:51 UTC+1 schrieb David Botton:
> > > http://www.promotionstudios.com/site/07/images/still_p_armscrossed01-copy.jpg
> > More breast than brain - what men love on women.
> > Sorry, couldn't resist.
>
> huh that image is male?

Yep...

A squirrel might be it - browse the AARM for "squirreling away". And I like the Ada bird.

But what's wrong with images of our lady?
http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk.craeynest/ada-belgium/pictures.html

Ada at the age of four:
http://www.christ-usch-grein.homepage.t-online.de/Images/Ada_mit_4.jpg

GI (Gesellschaft für Informatik):
http://www.gi.de/fileadmin/redaktion/Download/Ada-Lovelace.pdf

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-17 13:49   ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2014-11-17 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 15:09:13 -0800 (PST), Bruce Hennessy
<bruceg.hennessy@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>On Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:37:17 PM UTC-5, David Botton wrote:
>> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>>
>> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>>
>> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> David Botton
>
>OK I've got it! SQUIRREL! Squirrels are wonderful. They do annoy my wife and I as they take from the birds food we leave - however you cannot help but love their: resilience, persistence, learning, strength, flexibility, agility. Ada is a SQUIRREL!!!!!

	English red, North American red, grey, or fox?

{In my case, it's the birds taking the stuff I toss out for the squirrels
-- had 14 turkeys in my back yard this morning, three of them on the 4x8
patio}

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-17 14:25                     ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2014-11-17 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17.11.14 14:13, AdaMagica wrote:
> A squirrel might be it - browse the AARM for "squirreling away".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8xUQGlQcA

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-17 14:56                     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-17 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But what's wrong with images of our lady?

I think if someone can come up with a way to make her look cute and cuddly may work. Nothing stopping that for an entry :)

Perhaps a Disney like version of her would work perfect.

Those pics though as is or the cameos make the language seem, well exactly what the language impression is right now in many peoples mind.... Some artifact of history. That's the DOD language, oh yay that _was_ a nice idea....

David Botton

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-17 15:11                       ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2014-11-17 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Montag, 17. November 2014 15:56:30 UTC+1 schrieb David Botton:
> > But what's wrong with images of our lady?
>
> I think if someone can come up with a way to make her look cute and cuddly may work. Nothing stopping that for an entry :)

Look at the picture here:
http://www.christ-usch-grein.homepage.t-online.de/Ada-Kurs/Course.html

> Perhaps a Disney like version of her would work perfect.

No, please...

@ 2014-11-17 15:14                         ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-17 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Look at the picture here:
> http://www.christ-usch-grein.homepage.t-online.de/Ada-Kurs/Course.html

Certainly an improvement. Maybe we need a contest (separate from this one) to find an official Ada Lovelace model and do modern pictures in various business, engineering and educational settings.

David Botton

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-17 15:29                           ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2014-11-17 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 17/11/2014 16:14, David Botton a écrit :
>> Look at the picture here:
>> http://www.christ-usch-grein.homepage.t-online.de/Ada-Kurs/Course.html
>

> Certainly an improvement. Maybe we need a contest (separate from this
> one) to find an official Ada Lovelace model and do modern pictures in
> various business, engineering and educational settings.

AFAIR, this one was designed by Chris Anderson.

--

@ 2014-11-17 15:46                             ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2014-11-17 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, November 17, 2014 4:29:39 PM UTC+1, J-P. Rosen wrote:
> Le 17/11/2014 16:14, David Botton a écrit :
> >> Look at the picture here:
> >> http://www.christ-usch-grein.homepage.t-online.de/Ada-Kurs/Course.html

> AFAIR, this one was designed by Chris Anderson.

Was it? I found it on a paper of a meanwhile deceased German company (at least I cannot find a successor) without any credits.

Can you confirm this and find out copyright?

Christoph

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-17 16:09                         ` Luke A. Guest
From: Luke A. Guest @ 2014-11-17 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 17. November 2014 15:56:30 UTC+1 schrieb David Botton:
>
>> Perhaps a Disney like version of her would work perfect.
>
> No, please...

Loony tunes?

>> Those pics though as is or the cameos make the language seem, well
>> exactly what the language impression is right now in many peoples
>> mind.... Some artifact of history. That's the DOD language, oh yay that
>> _was_ a nice idea....

Exactly

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-17 16:50                               ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2014-11-17 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 17/11/2014 16:46, AdaMagica a écrit :
>> AFAIR, this one was designed by Chris Anderson.
>
> Was it? I found it on a paper of a meanwhile deceased German company
> (at least I cannot find a successor) without any credits.
>
> Can you confirm this and find out copyright?

My memory is that it was part of an effort by Chris of making Ada look
more modern. I suggest you ask her. (since she was invited at the last
SIGAda, you may find her address, or ask someone at SIGAda).

--

@ 2014-11-17 17:49                       ` Peter Chapin
From: Peter Chapin @ 2014-11-17 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014, David Botton wrote:

>> But what's wrong with images of our lady?
>
> I think if someone can come up with a way to make her look cute and
> cuddly may work. Nothing stopping that for an entry :)
>
> Perhaps a Disney like version of her would work perfect.

Maybe we should talk to the author of this web page:

     http://sydneypadua.com/2dgoggles/

There is, of course this:

     http://sydneypadua.com/2dgoggles/lovelace-the-origin-2/

Peter

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-17 17:56                         ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-17 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe we should talk to the author of this web page:
>
>      http://sydneypadua.com/2dgoggles/
>
> There is, of course this:
>
>      http://sydneypadua.com/2dgoggles/lovelace-the-origin-2/
>
> Peter

Send them an e-mail to make an entry to contest :) Prize is $500 (and rising, there are already some more donors)

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-17 17:57                     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-11-17 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

AdaMagica <christ-usch.grein@t-online.de> writes:

> But what's wrong with images of our lady?
> http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk.craeynest/ada-belgium/pictures.html

I have a very soft spot for Sydney Padua's work,
e.g. http://sydneypadua.com/2dgoggles/cast/ ..

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-18  1:04                                 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2014-11-18  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"J-P. Rosen" <rosen@adalog.fr> wrote in message
> Le 17/11/2014 16:46, AdaMagica a écrit :
>>> AFAIR, this one was designed by Chris Anderson.
>>
>> Was it? I found it on a paper of a meanwhile deceased German company
>> (at least I cannot find a successor) without any credits.
>>
>> Can you confirm this and find out copyright?
>
> My memory is that it was part of an effort by Chris of making Ada look
> more modern. I suggest you ask her. (since she was invited at the last
> SIGAda, you may find her address, or ask someone at SIGAda).

I definitely remember here introducing it at a talk. She first showed the
usual Ada image (associating it with Ada 83), and then showed this new,
moderned one, to go with the modernized Ada 95. (Chris' talks were often
memorable, it's too bad she had to cancel in Portland.)

My recollection was that she intended it to be used freely, but of course I
don't know the copyright situation for certain.

                        Randy.

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-19 19:30 ` johannes falcone
From: johannes falcone @ 2014-11-19 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.swi-prolog.org/pldoc/man?section=swiorother

swi prolog uses an owl already

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-19 19:51   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-19 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> http://www.swi-prolog.org/pldoc/man?section=swiorother
> swi prolog uses an owl already

Even though I like the more I think about it, the owl is so "overloaded" from education to tootsiepops that probably not a great idea.

Someone suggested the honey badger (the Ratel) on Linkedin. Interesting choice for sure :)

I hope some of you are drawing up some of your ideas or egging on some friends too. $600 already :)

@ 2014-11-19 23:27     ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2014-11-19 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hummingbird? Adafruit sells a Hummingbird robotics kit.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1006

--
Jeff Carter
"How'd you like to hide the egg and gurgitate

* Re: What makes a good mascot? (Was: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot)
@ 2014-11-21 11:12                                 ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2014-11-21 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, November 17, 2014 5:50:21 PM UTC+1, J-P. Rosen wrote:

> My memory is that it was part of an effort by Chris of making Ada look
> more modern. I suggest you ask her. (since she was invited at the last
> SIGAda, you may find her address, or ask someone at SIGAda).

I contacted Christine Anderson and she confirmed the picture was made by her.

I put a credit to her at my site.

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-21 19:00 ` sbelmont700
From: sbelmont700 @ 2014-11-21 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:37:17 PM UTC-5, David Botton wrote:

> Thoughts?

Call me a pessimist, but any animal would be a bad representation for Ada; they evolve, much like C programs, over the course of many years by hasty and unplanned enhancements, included in a reactionary and haphazard manner based solely on what caused the previous one to fail.

I think a much better "mascot" would be a cathedral, or some form Gothic architecture.  Designed to be beautiful, functional, and geometrically perfect from the get-go, plus last forever and never fall apart.  Not to mention, a couple pointed arches separated by a flying buttress already practically spells Ada...

If only I had some art skills :-(

-sb

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-21 19:20   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-11-21 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think a much better "mascot" would be a cathedral, or some form Gothic architecture.

It worked for Delphi, http://soft-hard.net/admin/attaches/072009/delphi_logo.gif

Over time the architecture part disappeared but still lingers in my head since I used mostly the earlier versions.

@ 2014-11-21 23:02   ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2014-11-21 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-21 20:00, sbelmont700@gmail.com wrote:

> I think a much better "mascot" would be a cathedral, or some form Gothic architecture.

Doesn't that make you think of 'The Cathedral and the Bazaar' ?
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar>

And beside that, I'd like to keep religious symbols
out of Ada.

--
Björn

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-22 10:02   ` Natasha Kerensikova
From: Natasha Kerensikova @ 2014-11-22 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-21, sbelmont700@gmail.com <sbelmont700@gmail.com> wrote:
> Call me a pessimist, but any animal would be a bad representation for
> Ada; they evolve, much like C programs, over the course of many years
> by hasty and unplanned enhancements, included in a reactionary and
> haphazard manner based solely on what caused the previous one to fail.

What about a robot then? Cold like proper engineering, unforgiving like
an Ada compiler, durable likee well-engineered constructs (though it
could still be made cute, like Wall-E).

Natasha

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-22 12:36     ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 2014-11-22 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrnm70np1.nrc.lithiumcat@nat.rebma.instinctive.eu>,
lithiumcat@instinctive.eu says...

> What about a robot then? Cold like proper engineering, unforgiving
> like an Ada compiler, durable likee well-engineered constructs (though
> it could still be made cute, like Wall-E).

Durable like Marvin ? :-)

Anyway I find it hard to come up with anything as the first thing that
comes to my mind if you mention Ada is 'Solid'.

Maybe simply something like a big strong hammer ? I'm sure someone can
create a cute fluffy version too...

New Ada motto: to Ada all programming problems ARE nails :-)

Ok, ok, I'm going to get my coffee now...

--
-- Jerry van Dijk
-- Leiden, Holland

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-22 18:59       ` AdaMagica
From: AdaMagica @ 2014-11-22 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 1:37:02 PM UTC+1, Jerry van Dijk wrote:
> Anyway I find it hard to come up with anything as the first thing that
> comes to my mind if you mention Ada is 'Solid'.
>
> Maybe simply something like a big strong hammer ? I'm sure someone can
> create a cute fluffy version too...
>
> New Ada motto: to Ada all programming problems ARE nails :-)

If your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb...

@ 2014-11-23  9:10       ` Simon Clubley
From: Simon Clubley @ 2014-11-23  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-11-22, Jerry van Dijk <jdijk59@hotmail.com> wrote:
> In article <slrnm70np1.nrc.lithiumcat@nat.rebma.instinctive.eu>,
> lithiumcat@instinctive.eu says...
>
>> What about a robot then? Cold like proper engineering, unforgiving
>> like an Ada compiler, durable likee well-engineered constructs (though
>> it could still be made cute, like Wall-E).
>
> Durable like Marvin ? :-)

Well, Ada compilers tend to moan enough to qualify for that... :-)

Simon.

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-24 11:36                       ` nospamthanks
From: nospamthanks @ 2014-11-24 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 17/11/2014 18:57, Simon Wright a écrit :
> I have a very soft spot

me too...

--
Stéphane Rivière

* Re: What makes a good mascot?
@ 2014-11-24 17:18                         ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-11-24 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

nospamthanks <""stef(nospamthanks)\"@(nospamthanks)ailleurs.land">
writes:

> Le 17/11/2014 18:57, Simon Wright a écrit :
>> I have a very soft spot
>
> me too...

!!!

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-28  0:34 ` David Pereira
From: David Pereira @ 2014-11-28  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sexta-feira, 14 de Novembro de 2014 4:37:17 UTC, David Botton escreveu:
> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>
> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>
> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> David Botton

Hi all,

Why not a Mongoose?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoose

They essentially feed on bugs, and it is even capable of killing cobras!

David

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-11-28 16:16   ` Dennis Lee Bieber
From: Dennis Lee Bieber @ 2014-11-28 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 16:34:17 -0800 (PST), David Pereira
<dmrpereira@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>Sexta-feira, 14 de Novembro de 2014 4:37:17 UTC, David Botton escreveu:
>> This owl picture I think sums up my idea of a base for an Ada Mascot
>>
>> http://devpress.com/demo/quiescent/files/2012/08/owl-50267-1200x900.jpg
>>
>> Powerful, sleek, precise. Every aspect of the owl is engineered.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> David Botton
>
>Hi all,
>
>Why not a Mongoose?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoose
>
>They essentially feed on bugs, and it is even capable of killing cobras!

	And are a "kill on sight" pest in Hawaii

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-12-01 19:11     ` Eryndlia Mavourneen
From: Eryndlia Mavourneen @ 2014-12-01 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 4:02:19 AM UTC-6, Natasha Kerensikova wrote:
> What about a robot then? Cold like proper engineering, unforgiving like
> an Ada compiler, durable likee well-engineered constructs (though it
> could still be made cute, like Wall-E).
>
> Natasha

I like this idea.  If we must have a mascot, then perhaps a baby robot in a diaper and duplicated from infinity.  You could call it, "Ada's Tasks."

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-12-01 19:14       ` Eryndlia Mavourneen
From: Eryndlia Mavourneen @ 2014-12-01 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

... Could have a little hammer in its hand.  lol

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-12-02  6:00         ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2014-12-02  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 01/12/2014 20:14, Eryndlia Mavourneen a écrit :
> ... Could have a little hammer in its hand.  lol

... or rather multiple arms (like Shiva), each holding a different tool
(we don't have only one tool)

--

@ 2014-12-05 14:49     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2014-12-05 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think a much better "mascot" would be a cathedral, or some form Gothic architecture.

Ichbiah saw Ada as a "Cathedral"

In a 1984 interview with the Association for Computing Machinery, Mr. Ichbiah was asked to express his feelings about the language he had masterminded. The response is befitting of a designer trained in civil engineering and becoming a preeminent computer scientist: I see Ada as a cathedral, with all the architectural lines interwoven in a harmonious manner. I would not do it differently if I had to do it over again.

* Re: The Owl - My Idea for the Ada mascot
@ 2014-12-05 19:19       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2014-12-05 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Botton" <david@botton.com> wrote in message
>> I think a much better "mascot" would be a cathedral, or some form Gothic
>> architecture.

>Ichbiah saw Ada as a "Cathedral"

>In a 1984 interview with the Association for Computing Machinery, Mr.
>Ichbiah was asked
>to express his feelings about the language he had masterminded. The
>response is befitting of
>a designer trained in civil engineering and becoming a preeminent computer
>scientist: I see
>Ada as a cathedral, with all the architectural lines interwoven in a
>harmonious manner. I
>would not do it differently if I had to do it over again.

Which explains his reaction to Ada 95 (from another thead): it adds the
equivalent of a modern glass tower next to his "cathedral", which bothers
his sense of purity. Even if the original "cathedral" is impractical...

                                 Randy.