* GNAT Installation problems
@ 1998-04-16  0:00 Steve O'Neill
From: Steve O'Neill @ 1998-04-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

We are experiencing some interesting and frustrating problems using GNAT
3.10p on WinNT4.0+SP3.  Everything works just fine when compiling files
which are located on the root (C:) drive.  However the system cannot
seem to locate gcc and gnat1 when we try to compile files which are
located on mapped network drives.

This does not occur on all machines only some of them.  It also behaves
differently for different users on a given machine.  One suspicion is
that this has something to do with Admin rights.  This does not seem to
happen for user's who have these rights.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?

TIA,
Steve O'Neill

* Re: GNAT Installation problems
@ 1998-04-16  0:00 ` Steve O'Neill
From: Steve O'Neill @ 1998-04-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK so I have explored further and now (sort of) understnad the mechanism by
which gnat1 and cpp are located.  The question now is why the system is
sometimes configured with the drive specification leading the path to the
directory and other at times & for other users the drive designation is
missing.  Very strange and more than a little frustrating.

Anybody solved this problem....?

Steve O'Neill

@ 2015-10-03  0:29 Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2015-10-03  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

After years of playing with Ada on my antique Mac G4 (desktop), I
decided to move to my much more modern MacBook Pro, running OS-X 10.7. I
downloaded what I think is the proper file from libre.adacore.com:
x86_64-Darwin. I also downloaded and installed Xquartz.

In a terminal window, I executed doinstall and followed instructions,
placing the GNAT files in folder Ada/GNAT. I changed my .bashrc to put
/Ada/GNAT at the head of PATH. I then followed the instructions for
"codesigning" gdb, I hope. I created a certificate that I named GDB.
After rebooting the machine, as instructed, I executed

     codesign -f -a GDB /Ada/GNAT/bin/gdb

and was rewarded with the error message

     GDB: unknown architecture name

Finally, trying to get a handle on where I stand, I executed (in a
terminal window)

     gnatmake -g generate.adb

which gave me the message

     Illegal instruction: 4

Any ideas? The last message makes me think that my MacBook has only a
32-bit bus and it's trying to execute an instruction unique to 64-bit
machines. I've poked around System Profiler and see nothing about bus
width.

Charlie
--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own.  You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for.  You hired workers we

* Re: GNAT Installation Problems
@ 2015-10-03  7:58 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-10-03  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:

> After rebooting the machine, as instructed, I executed
>
>      codesign -f -a GDB /Ada/GNAT/bin/gdb
>
> and was rewarded with the error message
>
>      GDB: unknown architecture name

That should have been -s GDB not -a (which specifies an architecture,
hence the message).

> Finally, trying to get a handle on where I stand, I executed (in a
> terminal window)
>
>      gnatmake -g generate.adb
>
> which gave me the message
>
>      Illegal instruction: 4
>
> Any ideas? The last message makes me think that my MacBook has only a
> 32-bit bus and it's trying to execute an instruction unique to 64-bit
> machines. I've poked around System Profiler and see nothing about bus
> width.

Much more likely to be some sort of path problem; all Intel Macs have
been 64-bits.

What does "gcc -v" say? "gnatmake -v"? "gnatls -v"?

Do you have DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set?

* Re: GNAT Installation Problems
@ 2015-10-03 15:41   ` Kevin K
From: Kevin K @ 2015-10-03 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 2:58:02 AM UTC-5, Simon Wright wrote:

> Much more likely to be some sort of path problem; all Intel Macs have
> been 64-bits.

The first Intel Macs were 32 bits.  Intel Core Duos, I believe.

* Re: GNAT Installation Problems
@ 2015-10-03 17:35     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-10-03 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin K <kevink4@gmail.com> writes:

> On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 2:58:02 AM UTC-5, Simon Wright wrote:
>
>> Much more likely to be some sort of path problem; all Intel Macs have
>> been 64-bits.
>>

> The first Intel Macs were 32 bits.  Intel Core Duos, I believe.

My bad.

In mitigation, the earliest GPL compiler I have is GNAT GPL 2011, for
Jaguar (10.2), and that's x86_64.

* Re: GNAT Installation Problems
@ 2015-10-03 17:54   ` Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2015-10-03 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:

> csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:
>
> > After rebooting the machine, as instructed, I executed
> >
> >      codesign -f -a GDB /Ada/GNAT/bin/gdb
> >
> > and was rewarded with the error message
> >
> >      GDB: unknown architecture name
>
> That should have been -s GDB not -a (which specifies an architecture,
> hence the message).

Right you are. I really need to get better glasses. Using the -s flag,
the codesign step appears to succeed, but now when I try to run GDB, I
get

     segmentation fault: 11

> > Finally, trying to get a handle on where I stand, I executed (in a
> > terminal window)
> >
> >      gnatmake -g generate.adb
> >
> > which gave me the message
> >
> >      Illegal instruction: 4
> >
> > Any ideas? The last message makes me think that my MacBook has only a
> > 32-bit bus and it's trying to execute an instruction unique to 64-bit
> > machines. I've poked around System Profiler and see nothing about bus
> > width.
>
> Much more likely to be some sort of path problem; all Intel Macs have
> been 64-bits.
>
> What does "gcc -v" say? "gnatmake -v"? "gnatls -v"?
>
> Do you have DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set?

I've searched two manuals, GNAT GPL User's Guide and GPS Documentation,
for DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH without success. I don't remember that running
doinstall mentioned anything about setting this environment variable.
Can you point me to an explanation of what I'm supposed to do or just
tell me?

Thanks for your help.

Charlie
--

@ 2015-10-03 18:00     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-10-03 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:

>> Much more likely to be some sort of path problem; all Intel Macs have
>> been 64-bits.
>>
>> What does "gcc -v" say? "gnatmake -v"? "gnatls -v"?
>>
>> Do you have DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set?
>
> I've searched two manuals, GNAT GPL User's Guide and GPS Documentation,
> for DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH without success. I don't remember that running
> doinstall mentioned anything about setting this environment variable.
> Can you point me to an explanation of what I'm supposed to do or just
> tell me?

I'm just poking around here!

As a starter ..

Please run "gcc -v" and tell us what it says.

Please run "gnatmake -v" and tell us what it says.

Please run "gnatls -v" and tell us what it says.

Please run "echo $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH" and tell us what it says.

And, while I'm at it, please run "ld --help" and tell us what it says
(in case you don't have the command line tools installed).

What does "uname -a" say?

* Re: GNAT Installation Problems
@ 2015-10-04 13:58       ` Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2015-10-04 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:

> csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:
>
> >> Much more likely to be some sort of path problem; all Intel Macs have
> >> been 64-bits.
> >>
> >> What does "gcc -v" say? "gnatmake -v"? "gnatls -v"?
> >>
> >> Do you have DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set?
> >
> > I've searched two manuals, GNAT GPL User's Guide and GPS Documentation,
> > for DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH without success. I don't remember that running
> > doinstall mentioned anything about setting this environment variable.
> > Can you point me to an explanation of what I'm supposed to do or just
> > tell me?
>
> I'm just poking around here!

I greatly appreciate the time you're spending on this.

> As a starter ..
>
> Please run "gcc -v" and tell us what it says.
>
> Please run "gnatmake -v" and tell us what it says.
>
> Please run "gnatls -v" and tell us what it says.

All three of the above gave

     Segmentation fault: 11

> Please run "echo $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH" and tell us what it says.

This echoed a blank line. i. e. undefined.

> And, while I'm at it, please run "ld --help" and tell us what it says
> (in case you don't have the command line tools installed).

I don't know if you meant the two hyphens. I ran it with two and with
one. In each case, I got

     ld64: For information on command line options please use 'man ld'.

> What does "uname -a" say?

     Darwin Emilys-MacBook.local 11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2:
     Thu Aug 23 16:25:48 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.32.7~1/RELEASE_
     X86_64 x86_64

That's all one line. I had to break it because my News reader limits
lines to 72 characters. Emilys-MacBook is the name of the computer,
cleaned up a bit for Unix.

Thanks again.

Charlie
--

@ 2015-10-04 15:07         ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-10-04 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:

>> Please run "gcc -v" and tell us what it says.
>>
>> Please run "gnatmake -v" and tell us what it says.
>>
>> Please run "gnatls -v" and tell us what it says.
>
> All three of the above gave
>
>      Segmentation fault: 11

Bizarre.

In an earlier post you said you'd put /Ada/GNAT at the head of your
PATH, that should have been /Ada/GNAT/bin.

What do 'which gcc', 'which gnatmake' say?

What does 'file /Ada/GNAT/bin/gcc' say?
I'd expect
   /Ada/GNAT/bin/gcc: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

* Re: GNAT Installation Problems
@ 2015-10-05 18:28           ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2015-10-05 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:
> csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:
>
>>> Please run "gcc -v" and tell us what it says.
>>>
>>> Please run "gnatmake -v" and tell us what it says.
>>>
>>> Please run "gnatls -v" and tell us what it says.
>>
>> All three of the above gave
>>
>>      Segmentation fault: 11
>
> Bizarre.

A vague memory reminds me of a similar
situation that required specifying a minimum
version of the OS, as a switch for gcc.
Just a guess, assuming it could somehow be related.

* Re: GNAT Installation Problems
@ 2015-10-05 18:59             ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-10-05 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus <bauhaus@futureapps.invalid> writes:

> Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:

>>> All three of the above gave
>>>
>>>      Segmentation fault: 11
>>
>> Bizarre.
>>
> A vague memory reminds me of a similar
> situation that required specifying a minimum
> version of the OS, as a switch for gcc.
> Just a guess, assuming it could somehow be related.

Darwin 11.4 is Lion. The problem you're thinking of was with Yosemite
(Darwin 14), and is covered in the GNAT GPL 2014 README:

   MacOS X Yosemite users need to:
     - either add the following environment variable in their environment:
       $ export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.9
     - or add -mmacosx-version-min=10.9 to their compiler switches

I expect that GNAT GPL 2015 has fixed this problem.

* Re: GNAT Installation Problems
@ 2015-10-06  7:17           ` Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2015-10-06  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:

> csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:
>
> >> Please run "gcc -v" and tell us what it says.
> >>
> >> Please run "gnatmake -v" and tell us what it says.
> >>
> >> Please run "gnatls -v" and tell us what it says.
> >
> > All three of the above gave
> >
> >      Segmentation fault: 11
>
> Bizarre.
>
> In an earlier post you said you'd put /Ada/GNAT at the head of your
> PATH, that should have been /Ada/GNAT/bin.

The statement was wrong. It is indeed /Ada/Gnat/bin.

> What do 'which gcc', 'which gnatmake' say?

     /Ada/GNAT/bin/gcc
     /Ada/GNAT/bin/gnatmake

respectively.

> What does 'file /Ada/GNAT/bin/gcc' say?
> I'd expect
>    /Ada/GNAT/bin/gcc: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

That's what it says.

Charlie
--

@ 2015-10-09  7:53             ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-10-09  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've tried installing GNAT GPL 2015 on El Capitan (OS X 10.11) at
/Ada/GNAT and it works fine with PATH set to start with /Ada/GNAT/bin
(or with /Ada/Gnat/bin, just in case there was some
case-sensitivity). So at this point I'm baffled.

Can you

(a) 'echo $PATH' and show us the results?

(b) 'DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES=1 /Ada/GNAT/bin/gnatmake -v' and show us  the
    results? (in case there's some weird dynamic library messing things
    up)

* Re: GNAT Installation Problems
@ 2015-10-09 19:10               ` Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2015-10-09 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:

> I've tried installing GNAT GPL 2015 on El Capitan (OS X 10.11) at
> /Ada/GNAT and it works fine with PATH set to start with /Ada/GNAT/bin
> (or with /Ada/Gnat/bin, just in case there was some
> case-sensitivity). So at this point I'm baffled.
>
> Can you
>
> (a) 'echo $PATH' and show us the results?
>
> (b) 'DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES=1 /Ada/GNAT/bin/gnatmake -v' and show us  the
>     results? (in case there's some weird dynamic library messing things
>     up)

It will take me a bit to do this.Thinking that maybe the problem was
fixed in GNAT 2015, I deleted the 2014 files, downloaded GNAT 2015, and
ran doinstall. It failed almost immediately. As the error message
requested, I reported the problem to AdaCore. The response was that, in
spite of what their website says, Lion is very old and they're not sure
if GNAT 2015 works on it. (They didn't say the "in spite of" part.)

Two things to mention. (1) I'm not one to complain about free service.
That a compiler of the quality of GNAT is available for free is amazing.
If AdaCore can has information that's not quite up to date, that's o. k.
with me. (2) I'm going to bite the bullet real soon and move to
something a lot later than Lion.

Charlie
--

@ 2015-10-09 21:06                 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-10-09 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNAT GPL 2013 and 2014 both fail under El Capitan with symptoms like
yours; the debugger says it's in _dyld_execute_header, but googling
doesn't help.

And I have similar problems with FSF GCC 4.6, 4.7 - but gcc manages to
start, and SEGVs while trying to report an error.

Lion is darwin11, so _you_ might have luck with GNAT GPL 2012 (darwin10)
or GNAT GPL 2013 (darwin12), if you can find them. If not, my FSF
GCC 4.7.0[1] was built on darwin11, if you can do without GPS.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuada/files/GNAT_GCC%20Mac%20OS%20X/4.7.0/