From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: RTEMS (and thus Ada) on Raspberry Pi
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 17:31:28 +0100
Date: 2013-07-04T17:31:28+01:00	[thread overview]

Simon Clubley <clubley@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP> writes:

> On 2013-07-04, Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org> wrote:
>> brian catlin <brian.catlin@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> It appears that RTEMS has been ported to the RasPi
>>> http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=38962
>>
>> Interesting!
>>
>> I'm not clear whether this runs on bare metal?
>>

> No. RTEMS is a RTOS, so you write to the RTEMS API, not the underlying
> bare metal.
>
> However, RTEMS is very lightweight when compared to Linux so it can
> run (with a appropriate BSP) on a lot more platforms than Linux can;
> it doesn't even need or really use a MMU (other than a optional
> initial setup, which is a BSP specific not RTEMS specific function).

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

What I meant was, does the port of RTEMS to the Pi include a BSP so that
applications built to RTEMS can run on the bare Pi?

And on re-reading the link, I see that it does[1], though only the timer
and the UART are supported so far.

[1] http://alanstechnotes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/rtems-on-raspberry-pi.html