From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: How many of you have Ada programming careers?
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 12:19:42 +0000
Date: 2015-11-07T12:19:42+00:00	[thread overview]

Nick Gordon <annihilan@gmail.com> writes:

> Since you guys (and I suppose possibly girls, too) are quite venerable
> regarding Ada, I wonder how many of you use Ada at work? If you do,
> did you start with Ada, or did you start as a systems programmer in C,
> and move over to Ada because of the safety, or something like that?

Now coming up to 5 years of retirement!

The first computer I ever saw was a PDP-8, in 1967. Programmed in
FORTRAN-II and PAL-III (assembler). Notably a loader system based on
reel-to-reel audio tape, had to fit in 128 words ...

Professionally (all military), Elliot 920 assembler, Ferranti assembler,
CORAL 66, VAX DCL, VAX Fortran 77, some VAX assembler, VAX Pascal,
Smalltalk-V, then Ada!! Since then the usual hodgepodge, C, Make, Imake,
Tcl, bash, PostScript, LaTeX, C++, xslt .. all supporting Ada tooling. I
think there may have been some Perl in there.