From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: How to best organize and build large projects?
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 17:38:05 +0100
Date: 2015-09-21T17:38:05+01:00	[thread overview]

David Botton <david@botton.com> writes:

>> gnatmake isn't the right tool: use gprbuild. NB
>
> Just keep in mind that FSF GNAT on Windows and other platforms (except
> OSX thanks to your great work and Linux) does not have gprbuild so
> things getting uglier down the road unless someone either hacks
> gprbuild for those platforms or someone creates a universal version
> not dependant on specific GNAT builds.

It is some work, but you can use the GPL gprbuild with GCC 5.1 (for
example). I made some notes in the README for the Mac gcc-5.1.0-2015-bin
release;

   The tools require gprbuild, but gprbuild requires XMLAda. The
   workround was to build with GNAT GPL 2015 on the PATH before FSF GCC
   5.1.0, but to run gprconfig so as to create a default.cgpr which
   selected the FSF GCC, and copy this to each tool's head directory
   before doing the build.

This allowed me to use Gprbuild GPL 2015 to build XMLAda, and then to
build itself with appropriate --build and --prefix options to configure.

In any case, the GPL gprbuild source (which is the only source available
to us) is easy enough to configure for your environment.