* Another Mac Ada Problem
@ 2015-10-26  8:21 Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2015-10-26  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been messing around with Ada on my old Mac G4, running OS X
10.4.11, for a long time, using vi, and emacs. My G4 died an I replaced
it with a G5 (love the PPC) running 10.5.8. When I now attempt to
compile, I get

     gcc -c -g -IUtilities trimmer.adb
     gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory

Poking around, I don't see a newer version of GNAT for 10.5.8. Although
I had good backup (I thought) before the G4 died, file recovery was a
laborious process and I could have made mistakes. (As a matter of fact,
I'm trying to write a little tool to help in checking that recovery.)

Any ideas?

Charlie
--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own.  You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for.  You hired workers we

* Re: Another Mac Ada Problem
@ 2015-10-26 10:55 ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2015-10-26 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 01:21:38 -0700, Charles H. Sampson wrote:

> I've been messing around with Ada on my old Mac G4, running OS X
> 10.4.11, for a long time, using vi, and emacs. My G4 died an I replaced
> it with a G5 (love the PPC) running 10.5.8. When I now attempt to
> compile, I get
>
>      gcc -c -g -IUtilities trimmer.adb gcc: error trying to exec 'as':
>      execvp: No such file or directory
>
> Poking around, I don't see a newer version of GNAT for 10.5.8. Although
> I had good backup (I thought) before the G4 died, file recovery was a
> laborious process and I could have made mistakes. (As a matter of fact,
> I'm trying to write a little tool to help in checking that recovery.)
>
> Any ideas?

It can't find the assembler. Sounds like you need to install a version of
"binutils" (assembler, linker, archiver and other low level tools the
compiler uses) compatible with the gcc/gnat version you're using.

Sorry I can't help with the details.

-- Brian

* Re: Another Mac Ada Problem
@ 2015-10-26 11:20 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-10-26 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:

> I've been messing around with Ada on my old Mac G4, running OS X
> 10.4.11, for a long time, using vi, and emacs. My G4 died an I replaced
> it with a G5 (love the PPC) running 10.5.8. When I now attempt to
> compile, I get
>
>      gcc -c -g -IUtilities trimmer.adb
>      gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory
>
> Poking around, I don't see a newer version of GNAT for 10.5.8. Although
> I had good backup (I thought) before the G4 died, file recovery was a
> laborious process and I could have made mistakes. (As a matter of fact,
> I'm trying to write a little tool to help in checking that recovery.)

You need the Command Line Tools. I don't remember whether they were
available as a separate download at 10.5, or whether they were an
optional part of Xcode, or whether they were automatically installed
with it.

* Re: Another Mac Ada Problem
@ 2015-10-26 18:13   ` Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2015-10-26 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Drummond <brian@shapes.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 01:21:38 -0700, Charles H. Sampson wrote:
>
> > I've been messing around with Ada on my old Mac G4, running OS X
> > 10.4.11, for a long time, using vi, and emacs. My G4 died an I replaced
> > it with a G5 (love the PPC) running 10.5.8. When I now attempt to
> > compile, I get
> >
> >      gcc -c -g -IUtilities trimmer.adb gcc: error trying to exec 'as':
> >      execvp: No such file or directory
> >
> > Poking around, I don't see a newer version of GNAT for 10.5.8. Although
> > I had good backup (I thought) before the G4 died, file recovery was a
> > laborious process and I could have made mistakes. (As a matter of fact,
> > I'm trying to write a little tool to help in checking that recovery.)
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> It can't find the assembler. Sounds like you need to install a version of
> "binutils" (assembler, linker, archiver and other low level tools the
> compiler uses) compatible with the gcc/gnat version you're using.

I thought I remembered that "as" was the assembler. What path was it on?
If I know where to look I might yet find it.

Alternatively, how about if I reinstall all the GNAT stuff? I still have
the disk image.

> Sorry I can't help with the details.

Thanks for your help.

Charlie
--

@ 2015-10-27  8:56   ` briot.emmanuel
From: briot.emmanuel @ 2015-10-27  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You need the Command Line Tools. I don't remember whether they were
> available as a separate download at 10.5, or whether they were an
> optional part of Xcode, or whether they were automatically installed
> with it.

Use

     xcode-select --install

(this needs to be done again after you install El Capitan, since apparently that
install removes the command line tools)

* Re: Another Mac Ada Problem
@ 2015-10-27 17:48     ` Charles H. Sampson
From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2015-10-27 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles H. Sampson <csampson@inetworld.net> wrote:

> Brian Drummond <brian@shapes.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 01:21:38 -0700, Charles H. Sampson wrote:
> >
> > > I've been messing around with Ada on my old Mac G4, running OS X
> > > 10.4.11, for a long time, using vi, and emacs. My G4 died an I replaced
> > > it with a G5 (love the PPC) running 10.5.8. When I now attempt to
> > > compile, I get
> > >
> > >      gcc -c -g -IUtilities trimmer.adb gcc: error trying to exec 'as':
> > >      execvp: No such file or directory
> > >
> > > Poking around, I don't see a newer version of GNAT for 10.5.8. Although
> > > I had good backup (I thought) before the G4 died, file recovery was a
> > > laborious process and I could have made mistakes. (As a matter of fact,
> > > I'm trying to write a little tool to help in checking that recovery.)
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >

> > It can't find the assembler. Sounds like you need to install a version of
> > "binutils" (assembler, linker, archiver and other low level tools the
> > compiler uses) compatible with the gcc/gnat version you're using.
>
> I thought I remembered that "as" was the assembler. What path was it on?
> If I know where to look I might yet find it.
>
> Alternatively, how about if I reinstall all the GNAT stuff? I still have
> the disk image.

Getting the cart before the horse, after posting that question, I tried
it. It had no effect.

Charlie

From: Charles H. Sampson @ 2015-10-27 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

<briot.emmanuel@gmail.com> wrote:

> > You need the Command Line Tools. I don't remember whether they were
> > available as a separate download at 10.5, or whether they were an
> > optional part of Xcode, or whether they were automatically installed
> > with it.
>
> Use
>
>      xcode-select --install
>
> (this needs to be done again after you install El Capitan, since
> apparently that install removes the command line tools)

As always, I appreciate your taking your time to respond. However, I'm
trunning on a G5, under 10.5.8.

Charlie
--

@ 2015-10-27 20:15       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-10-27 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) writes:

> <briot.emmanuel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > You need the Command Line Tools. I don't remember whether they were
>> > available as a separate download at 10.5, or whether they were an
>> > optional part of Xcode, or whether they were automatically installed
>> > with it.
>>
>> Use
>>
>>      xcode-select --install
>>
>> (this needs to be done again after you install El Capitan, since
>> apparently that install removes the command line tools)
>
> As always, I appreciate your taking your time to respond. However, I'm
> trunning on a G5, under 10.5.8.

See
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1596164/can-i-get-xcode-for-leopard-still/1596185#1596185

I found this by googling "mac leopard command line tools"

But whether it's the PPC version I don't know.