From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: ANN: GCC 4.9.0 for Mac OS X Mavericks
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 20:05:48 +0100
Date: 2014-05-06T20:05:48+01:00	[thread overview]

"Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net> writes:

> Mac(-proper) developers for Intel processors who use the GCC 4.8 & 4.9
> GNAT compiler (but who do not develop in GNAT for ARM-based devices)
> should have some feel for the stability of the drastically-post-4.2
> GCC compiler releases for all the patches other than the ones
> specifically for arm-apple-darwin.  Any insights on these non-ARM
> patches, GNAT users on Intel-based Mac: are drastically-post-4.2 GCC
> releases (especially GNAT releases) stable for Ada-on-Mac development?

I have no idea whether I qualify here; and I've never developed a Mac
app (ie, one with Apple GUI).

The problems I've encountered have been to do with exceptions
(changes/errors in stack unwinding on Darwin 10, which were fixed before
GCC 4.5 - I think) and an annoying one to do with ranlib -c (-c is
deprecated by Apple, and we managed to get it out of gnatmake, but it's
still there in gprbuild).

So, pretty stable.