From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: ANN: STM32F4 GNAT Run Time Systems 20150204
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:21:13 +0000
Date: 2015-02-05T17:21:13+00:00	[thread overview]

Tero Koskinen <tero.koskinen@iki.fi> writes:

> 5.2.2015, 13:26, Simon Wright kirjoitti:

>> o The linker script stm32f429i-flash.ld is under an MIT licence: see
>>    COPYING.MIT.
>
> I found that some MCU(STM32F4) specific packages use plain GPL, like
> http://sourceforge.net/p/stm32f4-gnat-rts/code/ci/default/tree/demo_leds-stm32f4/src/stm32f4.ads
>
> Was this intentional?

That is a copy of AdaCore's RTS, so it retains their licensing.

> Personally I would prefer BSD/ISC/MIT for all possible parts, like
> you have done for the linker script.

And that is derived from someone else's work, they used the MIT license.

It doesn't really matter what license these build scripts, including
GPRs, use, because they won't be part of a deliverable binary. So long
as the license terms allow you to use them for a build, of course! For
demo code, if I haven't already, I'll be using this:

   "This unit is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
    as you wish. This unit is distributed in the hope that it will be
    useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty
    of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE."

which I thought was the GNU All-Permissive license but I see isn't! -

   "Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification,
    are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright
    notice and this notice are preserved.  This file is offered as-is,
    without any warranty."

http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices-for-Other-Files.html

>> [2] STMicroelectronics' evaluation product licence agreement at
>> www.st.com/epla forbids the sale of products including this board, so
>> this work would have to be reconfigured for a different board anyway.
>
> Olimex sells many different STM32Fx boards which don't have this
> restriction. I have used[3] STM32-P405 and STM32-E407[4] boards.

The Discovery boards are intended for exploration, so it seems
reasonable for them to impose this restriction. I need to work out
porting at some point.