* xmodem implementation re-use status
@ 2015-07-03 17:56 Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-07-03 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've bought an Arduino Due (for more Ada RTS fun) and am having real
trouble getting the Mac to talk to it using available software (bossa,
ino). So of course I'm going to have a go at it myself.

To do that I need an Ada implementation of the xmodem protocol. The only
one I've found is at[1] on AdaIC; it was produced by Westinghouse in
1988 under a DoD contract. I can't see anything in the way of copyright
or license terms, so I wonder if I can use it in my project? (which I
would normally release under GPLv3).

[1] http://archive.adaic.com/tools/bindings/xmodem-kermit/

* Re: xmodem implementation re-use status
@ 2015-07-03 18:12 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2015-07-03 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/03/2015 10:56 AM, Simon Wright wrote:

> To do that I need an Ada implementation of the xmodem protocol. The only
> one I've found is at[1] on AdaIC; it was produced by Westinghouse in
> 1988 under a DoD contract. I can't see anything in the way of copyright
> or license terms, so I wonder if I can use it in my project? (which I
> would normally release under GPLv3).
>
> [1] http://archive.adaic.com/tools/bindings/xmodem-kermit/

File README says, "If there are any questions, problems, etc, please contact
Terri Hobbs,  (301) 765-2246." Have you done that?

--
Jeff Carter
"I feel as though somebody stepped on my tongue

* Re: xmodem implementation re-use status
@ 2015-07-03 20:14   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-07-03 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> writes:

> On 07/03/2015 10:56 AM, Simon Wright wrote:
>>
>> To do that I need an Ada implementation of the xmodem protocol. The
>> only one I've found is at[1] on AdaIC; it was produced by
>> Westinghouse in 1988 under a DoD contract. I can't see anything in
>> the way of copyright or license terms, so I wonder if I can use it in
>> my project? (which I would normally release under GPLv3).
>>
>> [1] http://archive.adaic.com/tools/bindings/xmodem-kermit/
>
> File README says, "If there are any questions, problems, etc, please
> contact Terri Hobbs, (301) 765-2246." Have you done that?

No, because (a) 1988, (b) ring someone up?! But thanks for the
suggestion.

I found a partial PAL archive at ftp.cs.kuleuven.be which contains the
relevant catalog entry and says "Approved for public release;
distribution unlimited". Unfortunately "partial" means "doesn't contain
this asset".

I have a 1998 and a 2000 PAL on CD, but neither has this package.

* Re: xmodem implementation re-use status
@ 2015-07-03 20:47     ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2015-07-03 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/03/2015 01:14 PM, Simon Wright wrote:

> No, because (a) 1988, (b) ring someone up?! But thanks for the
> suggestion.

I agree it's a long shot.

I note that

http://archive.adaic.com/docs/flyers/free-bindings.html

says the binding you found is a "freely available Ada binding".

I f that's not good enough, it appears you can get what you want from here:

http://www2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/iste/ps/AdaBasis/pal_1195/ada/userdocs/html/cardcat/xmker.html

"RIGHTS

@ 2015-07-03 21:33       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-07-03 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org> writes:

> I note that
>
> http://archive.adaic.com/docs/flyers/free-bindings.html
>
> says the binding you found is a "freely available Ada binding".

Oh, I see.

> I f that's not good enough, it appears you can get what you want from here:
>
> http://www2.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/iste/ps/AdaBasis/pal_1195/ada/userdocs/html/cardcat/xmker.html

Which Google didn't find (that is, I used Google and didn't find it).

I think this must be rather an old xmodem, since it uses an 8-bit
checksum whereas the Atmel one expects a 16-bit CRC.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. Thanks for the help.