* Installing gnatcoll on Windows
@ 2015-05-01  6:27 NiGHTS
From: NiGHTS @ 2015-05-01  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been trying fruitlessly to install gnatcoll on Windows. The platform I am trying to compile this on is Windows 7 32-bit.

I have installed Cygwin with the built-in ada compiler as well as GNAT Pro for Windows. I downloaded adagpl-2014 and extracted gnatcoll-gpl-2014-src then used the following command:

$ ./configure --enable-projects --prefix=/usr/gnat-gpl-2014

checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking target system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking POSIX termios... yes
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking whether termios.h defines TIOCGWINSZ... yes
checking whether gnat can build shared libs... yes
checking for python... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/param.h... yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking for working mmap... yes
checking for pkg-config... /cygdrive/c/GtkAda/bin/pkg-config
checking for default gtk+ version... no
checking for pygtk... no (incompatible gtk+ version)
checking for pygobject... no (disabled by user)
checking for PQreset in -lpq... no
checking for sqlite... embedded
checking for __gmpz_init in -lgmp... no
checking gmp.h usability... no
checking gmp.h presence... no
checking for gmp.h... no
checking for libiconv... no special -L needed
checking for library containing iconv_open... no
checking whether gnat sources are found... no
checking whether gnat_util exists... no
checking for readline... no, this is a pure GPL library (see --enable-gpl)
checking whether platform supports atomic inc/dec... yes
checking syslog.h usability... yes
checking syslog.h presence... yes
checking for syslog.h... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating gnatcoll_shared.gpr
config.status: creating Makefile.conf
config.status: creating src/gnatcoll_gmp.gpr
config.status: creating src/gnatcoll_python.gpr
config.status: creating distrib/gnatcoll.gpr__gnat_util
config.status: creating distrib/gnatcoll.gpr__copy
config.status: creating distrib/gnatcoll_python.gpr
config.status: creating distrib/gnatcoll_gmp.gpr
config.status: creating gnat/sdefault/sdefault.adb
config.status: creating src/gnatcoll_readline.gpr
config.status: executing src/gnatcoll-refcount-sync_counters.adb commands
config.status: executing src/gnatcoll.gpr commands
config.status: executing distrib/gnatcoll.gpr commands
configure: --------- Summary for GNAT Components --------------
configure:   Shared libraries:       yes (default: static)
configure:   Gtk+:                   no (requires pkg-config and gtkada.gpr)
configure:   Python:                 no no (see --with-python)
configure:   PyGtk:                  no  (see --enable-pygtk)
configure:   PyGObject:              no (see --enable-pygobject)
configure:   Syslog:                 yes (see --enable-syslog)
configure:   Readline (GPL license): no (see --with-readline --enable-gpl)
configure:   gmp:                    no (see --with-gmp)
configure:   PostgreSQL:             no  (see --with-postgresql)
configure:   Sqlite:                 embedded  (see --with-sqlite)
configure:   Iconv:                  no (see --with-iconv)
configure:   Projects:               yes
configure: --------------------------------------------

$ make

Makefile:72: recipe for target 'do_links' failed
make: [do_links] Error 1 (ignored)
gnatmake: "xsnamest" not found
Makefile:72: recipe for target 'do_links' failed
make: *** [do_links] Error 4

So after some research I find that xsnamest is a part of the ASIS project also included in "adagpl-2014" so I proceed to attempt its installation like so...

$ make

gnatmake -Pasis -XBLD=prod -XOPSYS=default_Unix
asis.gpr:24:06: unknown project file: "gnat_util"
gnatmake: "asis" processing failed
Makefile:29: recipe for target 'lib/libasis.a' failed
make: *** [lib/libasis.a] Error 4

So this looks like some kind of recursive dependency or something. Either way my research online on this subject is bleak, mainly pointing to forum posts with people discussing ways to either avoid gnatcoll entirely or transfer parts of the gnatcoll project into their own project to avoid completing this setup.

What I am interested in using Gnatcoll for is its SQLite implementation for which I have already written code in Linux to work with it. If there was a way to easily crop out only that part of gnatcoll I think I'd be okay with that, though this shouldn't be so difficult to compile cross-platform I would think.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

* Re: Installing gnatcoll on Windows
@ 2015-05-01  7:30 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2015-05-01  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

NiGHTS <nights@unku.us> writes:

> So after some research I find that xsnamest is a part of the ASIS
> project also included in "adagpl-2014" so I proceed to attempt its
> installation like so...
>
> $ make
>
> gnatmake -Pasis -XBLD=prod -XOPSYS=default_Unix
> asis.gpr:24:06: unknown project file: "gnat_util"
> gnatmake: "asis" processing failed
> Makefile:29: recipe for target 'lib/libasis.a' failed
> make: *** [lib/libasis.a] Error 4

You can get the sources for gnat_util at the Libre site in x86 Windows >
GNAT Ada GPL 2014 > Sources.

If you install this before configuring gnatcoll you shouldn't, I think,
need xnamest -- xsnamest is a program generated as part of the compiler
build process:

--  This utility is used to make a new version of the Snames package when new
--  names are added. This version reads a template file from snames.ads-tmpl in
--  which the numbers are all written as $, and generates a new version of the
--  spec file snames.ads (written to snames.ns). It also reads snames.adb-tmpl
--  and generates an updated body (written to snames.nb), and snames.h-tmpl and
--  generates an updated C header file (written to snames.nh).

and gnat_util contains the result appropriate to the compiler it was
built for (in this case, GNAT GPL 2014).

* Re: Installing gnatcoll on Windows
@ 2015-05-04  5:17 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2015-05-04  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

NiGHTS <nights@unku.us> writes:

> I have been trying fruitlessly to install gnatcoll on Windows. The
> platform I am trying to compile this on is Windows 7 32-bit.
>
> I have installed Cygwin with the built-in ada compiler as well as GNAT
> Pro for Windows. I downloaded adagpl-2014 and extracted
> gnatcoll-gpl-2014-src then used the following command:
>
> $ ./configure --enable-projects --prefix=/usr/gnat-gpl-2014

This implies that you want to use gnatcoll with gnat-gpl-2014; that
means you have to compile it with GNAT GPL 2014, _not_ cygwin gnat or
GNAT Pro.

You must compile gnatcoll with the compiler you want to use it with;
make sure that compiler is first (or only) in PATH.

If you have GNAT Pro, you have access to AdaCore tech support, so you
can ask them.

I suspect you meant "GNAT GPL 2014" above, instead of GNAT Pro. In that
case, you need to ensure gnat-gpl-2014/bin is before /bin in the Cygwin
PATH.

--
-- Stephe