* There's a problem with gnatclean on Windows GNAT Community 2018
@ 2018-06-12 16:26 fabien.chouteau
From: fabien.chouteau @ 2018-06-12 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

We want to let you know that a problem was detected in the 2018 Community
release for Windows.

Because of the installer, the run-time .ali files are not marked as read only.
As a result, gnatclean will remove all the .ali files from the installation,
including those of the run-time.

Until we release a fix, you can use these commands to mark the .ali as read
only:
$ cd <path_to_the_installation>
$ attrib +r /s *.ali

That's it :)

* Re: There's a problem with gnatclean on Windows GNAT Community 2018
@ 2018-06-12 16:47 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2018-06-12 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-06-12 18:26, fabien.chouteau@gmail.com wrote:

> We want to let you know that a problem was detected in the 2018 Community
> release for Windows.
>
> Because of the installer, the run-time .ali files are not marked as read only.
> As a result, gnatclean will remove all the .ali files from the installation,
> including those of the run-time.
>
> Until we release a fix, you can use these commands to mark the .ali as read
> only:
> $ cd <path_to_the_installation>
> $ attrib +r /s *.ali
>
> That's it :)

When does this happen? I am asking because I did clean projects from the
GPS, I suppose that in the end it calls gnatclean too. No installation
files were deleted to me.

P.S. What about 32-bit Windows GNAT 2018. Is it dropped?

P.P.S. Is Win32Ada dropped?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: There's a problem with gnatclean on Windows GNAT Community 2018
@ 2018-06-12 18:04   ` fabien.chouteau
From: fabien.chouteau @ 2018-06-12 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 6:47:11 PM UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> When does this happen? I am asking because I did clean projects from the
> GPS, I suppose that in the end it calls gnatclean too. No installation
> files were deleted to me.

When gnatclean is used, in your case it was probably gprclean which is not impacted by this problem.

> P.S. What about 32-bit Windows GNAT 2018. Is it dropped?

Yes, we switched to 64-bit because it was requested a lot.

> P.P.S. Is Win32Ada dropped?

Win32Ada is not in the Community release.

Regards,

* Re: There's a problem with gnatclean on Windows GNAT Community 2018
@ 2018-06-12 18:49 ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2018-06-12 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 9:26:34 AM UTC-7, fabien....@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We want to let you know that a problem was detected in the 2018 Community
> release for Windows.
>
> Because of the installer, the run-time .ali files are not marked as read only.
> As a result, gnatclean will remove all the .ali files from the installation,
> including those of the run-time.
>
> Until we release a fix, you can use these commands to mark the .ali as read
> only:
> $ cd <path_to_the_installation>
> $ attrib +r /s *.ali
>
> That's it :)

All the sources should be read only, too.

Anh Vo

* Re: There's a problem with gnatclean on Windows GNAT Community 2018
@ 2018-06-12 19:04 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2018-06-12 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

fabien.chouteau@gmail.com writes:

> We want to let you know that a problem was detected in the 2018
> Community release for Windows.

Thank you.

> Because of the installer, the run-time .ali files are not marked as
> read only.  As a result, gnatclean will remove all the .ali files from
> the installation, including those of the run-time.
>
> Until we release a fix, you can use these commands to mark the .ali as
> read only:
> $ cd <path_to_the_installation>
> $ attrib +r /s *.ali

The same seems to be true in
gnat-community-2018-20180523-arm-elf-darwin-bin.dmg.

Is this a gprinstall issue? Because I see the same in packages such as
gnatcoll* installed in gcc-8.1.0 for Darwin, and in RTSs installed in
cortex-gnat-rts.

* Re: There's a problem with gnatclean on Windows GNAT Community 2018
@ 2018-06-19 11:47   ` juan.delapuente
From: juan.delapuente @ 2018-06-19 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

The fix for MacOS (both native and arm-eabi:

$ cd <path_to_the_installation>
$ find . -iname "*.ali" -exec chmod -w {} \;

:

@ 2018-06-19 15:26     ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2018-06-19 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

juan.delapuente@gmail.com writes:

> The fix for MacOS (both native and arm-eabi:

Thanks for this. And maybe Linux too?

> $ cd <path_to_the_installation>
> $ find . -iname "*.ali" -exec chmod -w {} \;

I said

  $ find -name \*.ali | sudo xargs chmod -w

Would be surprised to find (library) ALI files with mixed-case
filenames!