From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Mac OS X cross compiler
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 09:10:12 +0100
Date: 2016-06-23T09:10:12+01:00	[thread overview]

Luke A. Guest <laguest@archeia.com> writes:

> Just wanted to ask though, I don't need a multilib capable compiler
> anymore right? Mac OS X is all 64 bit right?

Not quite, but I wouldn't worry.

After some searching I found a 32-bit executable, and it still runs;

$ file /Applications/Hugin/Hugin.app/Contents/MacOS/Hugin
/Applications/Hugin/Hugin.app/Contents/MacOS/Hugin: Mach-O executable
i386

GNAT GPL 2016 has 6 fat binary libraries, all variants of libgcc.

The C compiler can produce a 32-bit executable:

$ which gcc
/opt/gnat-gpl-2016/bin/gcc
$ gcc hi.c
$ file a.out
a.out: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
$ gcc hi.c -m32
$ file a.out
a.out: Mach-O executable i386

and the Ada compiler on its own can produce a 32-bit object:

$ gcc -c hello.adb -m32
$ file hello.o
hello.o: Mach-O object i386

but gnatmake won't:

$ gnatmake -c -u -f -m32 hello.adb
gnatmake: RTS path not valid: missing adainclude and adalib directories