* Looking for experience on XML parser (DOM) for Ada
@ 2017-11-08 11:37 reinert
From: reinert @ 2017-11-08 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hei again,

before I spend much time on it:

what is the "best" XML parser (DOM) for Ada?

Only to go for the AdaCore DOM module without side-looking? :-)

reinert

* Re: Looking for experience on XML parser (DOM) for Ada
@ 2017-11-09 16:29 ` Bruce Hennessy
From: Bruce Hennessy @ 2017-11-09 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 6:37:48 AM UTC-5, reinert wrote:
> Hei again,
>
> before I spend much time on it:
>
> what is the "best" XML parser (DOM) for Ada?
>
> Only to go for the AdaCore DOM module without side-looking? :-)
>
> reinert

The GNAT code is the best but requires full source to be provided If
the executable that uses it is given to a third party.
If the program will be only personally used or only used by the
organization that created then it the GNU GPL v3 is not an issue at all.

* Re: Looking for experience on XML parser (DOM) for Ada
@ 2017-11-09 18:16   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2017-11-09 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce Hennessy <bruceg.hennessy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 6:37:48 AM UTC-5, reinert wrote:
>> Hei again,
>>
>> before I spend much time on it:
>>
>> what is the "best" XML parser (DOM) for Ada?
>>
>> Only to go for the AdaCore DOM module without side-looking? :-)
>>
>> reinert
>
> The GNAT code is the best but requires full source to be provided If
> the executable that uses it is given to a third party.
> If the program will be only personally used or only used by the
> organization that created then it the GNU GPL v3 is not an issue at all.

If you look at the XML/Ada project on Github[1], you'll find the file
COPYING.RUNTIME, which contains the additional permissions discussed in
the source comments:

-- As a special exception under Section 7 of GPL version 3, you are granted --
-- additional permissions described in the GCC Runtime Library Exception,   --
-- version 3.1, as published by the Free Software Foundation.               --
--                                                                          --
-- You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License and    --
-- a copy of the GCC Runtime Library Exception along with this program;     --
-- see the files COPYING3 and COPYING.RUNTIME respectively.  If not, see    --
-- <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

So you *can* provide an executable without providing the source (provided
the other conditions are met, of course)

[1] https://github.com/AdaCore/xmlada

* Re: Looking for experience on XML parser (DOM) for Ada
@ 2017-11-11  7:25     ` reinert
From: reinert @ 2017-11-11  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for informative answers.

By the way: are there examples where giving out the source code is a real disadvantage for a project under active development? (ignoring here issues related to militaray secrets or similar). I mean *real* examples. Nobody wants to pay for programs/service that is free and available online? NB: Open source can also bee looked at as a guarantee for access to a program system?

reinert
https://korsnesbiocomputing.no/

* Re: Looking for experience on XML parser (DOM) for Ada
@ 2017-11-12  5:21       ` J-P. Rosen
From: J-P. Rosen @ 2017-11-12  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 11/11/2017 à 08:25, reinert a écrit :
> Thanks for informative answers.
>
> By the way: are there examples where giving out the source code is a
real disadvantage for a project under active development? (ignoring here
issues related to militaray secrets or similar). I mean *real* examples.
Nobody wants to pay for programs/service that is free and available
online? NB: Open source can also bee looked at as a guarantee for access
to a program system?

Not exactly your question, but you can find my paper "On the benefits
for industrials of sponsoring free software development" interesting:
http://www.adalog.fr/publicat/Free-software.pdf

--
J-P. Rosen
Adalog