From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: GNAT GPL 2016 on Debian Jessie
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 08:26:10 +0100
Date: 2016-07-12T08:26:10+01:00	[thread overview]

ogpual@gmail.com writes:

> I believe that I have also seen the "No compilers" message.  Might it
> have been when the gnat binaries were hidden by being too far down the
> path?

Thanks for the confirmation.

> There is a new release of linux mint that has a newer version of the
> FSF gcc.  I hope to install that in the next few months and that it
> will be possible to use it for Ada programming well enough that I
> don't think it is a good idea to install the gnat binaries that
> conflict by name with the rest of the distro.

I wanted to install GNATCOLL, because it includes GPR processing
support, which is needed for gpr_query, a tool to support Emacs
ada-mode. After eventually getting it to build, I went round the houses
a few times trying to install it; eventually realising that the sudo I'm
used to on macOS keeps the current PATH, but the Debian one doesn't
(even with -E), so when the Makefile runs gprinstall it picks up the
Debian one rather than the GNAT GPL one ...