* Debian & gprinstall
@ 2017-02-14 17:01 Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2017-02-14 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone devised a setup to use gprinstall to install a library to
match the Debian Ada Policy?

I don't care so much (perhaps I should) about getting the sonames right,
but I'd like at least to get the library GPRs installed where Debian
looks for them.

At the moment, on jessie, gprinstall installs:

  Sources in   /usr/include/<library>/
  ALI files in /usr/lib/<library>/
  Objects in   /usr/lib/<library>/(for a relocatable library, a symlink to
               the so in /usr/lib/<library>/ is put in /usr/lib)
  GPRs in      /usr/share/gpr/

and at the very least GPRs should be in
/usr/share/ada/adainclude/. That's easy enough using
--project-dir=share/ada/adainclude, but what about the other
directories? (they need to be reasonably out of the way of anywhere that
Debian would install software).

* Re: Debian & gprinstall
@ 2017-02-14 17:57 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2017-02-14 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017-02-14 18:01, Simon Wright wrote:
> Has anyone devised a setup to use gprinstall to install a library to
> match the Debian Ada Policy?

But gprinstall cannot follow policies of all Linux flavors. Fedora's
policy is very different, e.g. it has a system gpr project to include
into the library project and get directories' paths from there.

If indeed grpinstall were to care of the Linux target I would suggest to
generate a proper project installation file, *.deb, *.rpm and use it in
the standard system installer.

I wrote an extremely ugly bash script to generate Debian and Fedora
project files. It would be a great help if gprinstall did this (and *msi
setup for Windows). Not that I believe that to happen...

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Debian & gprinstall
@ 2017-02-14 21:30   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2017-02-14 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 2017-02-14 18:01, Simon Wright wrote:
>> Has anyone devised a setup to use gprinstall to install a library to
>> match the Debian Ada Policy?
>
> But gprinstall cannot follow policies of all Linux flavors. Fedora's
> policy is very different, e.g. it has a system gpr project to include
> into the library project and get directories' paths from there.

I only want a set of switches that will make gprinstall do something
that works on Debian with the system compiler (no problem if using GNAT
GPL, of course, since the default setup is what GNAT GPL expects) and
doesn't trample over other software.

Is the Fedora equivalent of the Debian Ada policy written up anywhere?

> If indeed grpinstall were to care of the Linux target I would suggest
> to generate a proper project installation file, *.deb, *.rpm and use
> it in the standard system installer.

But I'm not going to distribute binary library packages for any Linux
flavours. So I don't need to understand .deb, .rpm, etc etc. I just want
the _source_ packages to be easily installable.

* Re: Debian & gprinstall
@ 2017-02-15  8:44     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2017-02-15  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14/02/2017 22:30, Simon Wright wrote:

> I only want a set of switches that will make gprinstall do something
> that works on Debian with the system compiler (no problem if using GNAT
> GPL, of course, since the default setup is what GNAT GPL expects) and
> doesn't trample over other software.

I think a natural way would be if AdaCore added package Installer to the
project file which could contain variables and commands to gprinstall.

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Ada

>> If indeed grpinstall were to care of the Linux target I would suggest
>> to generate a proper project installation file, *.deb, *.rpm and use
>> it in the standard system installer.
>
> But I'm not going to distribute binary library packages for any Linux
> flavours. So I don't need to understand .deb, .rpm, etc etc. I just want
> the _source_ packages to be easily installable.

Sure, but there is no easy way, not any more. I mean, with all these
multi-arch systems and cross compilers it becomes more and more
complicated. So maybe in the end it would be easier to do it in a hard
way...

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: Debian & gprinstall
@ 2017-02-15  9:29       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2017-02-15  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 14/02/2017 22:30, Simon Wright wrote:
>
>> I only want a set of switches that will make gprinstall do something
>> that works on Debian with the system compiler (no problem if using
>> GNAT GPL, of course, since the default setup is what GNAT GPL
>> expects) and doesn't trample over other software.
>
> I think a natural way would be if AdaCore added package Installer to
> the project file which could contain variables and commands to
> gprinstall.

Thanks for this thought! See package Install in
http://docs.adacore.com/gprbuild-docs/html/gprbuild_ug/gnat_project_manager.html#packages

Not sure when it was introduced.

>> Is the Fedora equivalent of the Debian Ada policy written up anywhere?
>
>    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Ada

And thanks for that, too.

* Re: Debian & gprinstall
@ 2017-02-15  9:39         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2017-02-15  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 15 février 2017 à 09:29 +0000, Simon Wright a écrit :
> Thanks for this thought! See package Install in
> http://docs.adacore.com/gprbuild-docs/html/gprbuild_ug/gnat_project_m
> anager.html#packages
>
> Not sure when it was introduced.

Almost since day 1 at the time GPRsinstall was designed :)

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B

* Re: Debian & gprinstall
@ 2017-02-15 10:33           ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2017-02-15 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net> writes:

> Le mercredi 15 février 2017 à 09:29 +0000, Simon Wright a écrit :
>> Thanks for this thought! See package Install in
>> http://docs.adacore.com/gprbuild-docs/html/gprbuild_ug/gnat_project_m
>> anager.html#packages
>>
>> Not sure when it was introduced.
>
> Almost since day 1 at the time GPRsinstall was designed :)

And it's present at GPL 2014, which is what Debian jessie uses.

Should there be a gprconfig/ file for it? (which would make Debian
maintainers' job easier, I think)