From: Simon Wright <simon@pushface.org>
Subject: Re: Any Suggestion How To Accomplish A Debug Macro?
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:21:50 +0000
Date: 2014-12-30T18:21:50+00:00	[thread overview]

sbelmont700@gmail.com writes:

> TWYF, FWYT.  Having the compiler cull a bunch of your code, especially
> such I/O heavy code, and expecting it to work the same in the release
> is a bad idea (though there are better solutions than an if statement,
> e.g. observer pattern).

We did desktop testing (mainly functional, some timing) on Windows for
deployment on powerpc-wrs-vxworks. On-target validation & verification
was hugely simplified, and I don't recall any instances of on-target
failures that were down to compilation differences.

We retained the same logging in the two environments; on the host, via a
low-priority task to standard output; on the target, via ethernet to a
logging computer. So the Ada code of the subsystem under test wasn't
altered.