From: Erik Magnuson <erik@fl.ensco.com>
Subject: Re: Conversion factor for Ada 95
Date: 1997/02/14
Date: 1997-02-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

> <<I'm trying to estimate a conversion factor for a particular Ada 95
> compiler on a particular target.  The conversion is from SLOC (loosely
> translated:  number of semi-colons) to bytes of executable code.>>
>
> It is absolutely *essential* in a language like Ada to also factor
> coding style into this equation, otherwise you can get some very nasty
> surprised. For instance, code using finalization heavily can generate
> lots of extra code, as can heavy tasking code.

Amen to that. I was asked to do SLOC to byte measurements as part of some
compiler evaluations for Ada 83 some time back.  The code used was from 5
different sources, but the for the same applications domain (i.e. embedded
avionics.)  Using the same compiler and the same compile options, there was
a 5 to 1 difference between the largest and the smallest factors.  This was
greater than the both compiler and target architecture factors! This is
where I really learned to appreciate YMMV disclaimers.

--
Erik Magnuson, ENSCO    erik@fl.ensco.com
MARSS-REPL              (407) 783-7114