From: Jeffrey Carter <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.not.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Simp,e example for 2 tasks
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:48:17 -0700
Date: 2014-09-22T10:48:17-07:00	[thread overview]

On 09/22/2014 12:18 AM, Niklas Holsti wrote:

> Hmm... I don't quite agree with that. It seems to me that rendez-vous
> interaction between tasks could be implemented in a distributed system,
> as long as the entry parameters can be passed by value or by copy-in
> copy-out. It is the global shared variables and reference parameters
> that would make a distributed approach difficult for Ada programs using
> such constructs. I don't know Erlang well enough to understand if it has
> some solution for that, or if it simply forbids such things.

Well, of course one can implement rendezvous between tasks in different
partitions in a distributed system, since that's possible through the DSA. It's
a lot of additional work, however, compared to implementing distributed
messaging. You're right about the shared-memory aspect of tasking being another
factor that complicates things.

--
Jeff Carter
"Blessed are they who convert their neighbors'